Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Timer switch for an Oil Burner

Options
  • 27-12-2021 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,725 ✭✭✭✭

Is there such a thing as a smart timer that I could use for my oil burner, ideally one that could be controlled via my mobile phone?

Current set up is a mechanical switch with 48 slots, push one in for heating for half an hour, can be set to come on/off at certain times or fully off/on. I'd like something that would offer me something similar but with the added bonus of allowing me to turn on/off the heat remotely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

There are many options depending on budget & how much control, automation of heating you want.

Climote, Netamo, Google Nest, Hive are the 4 most popular models.

Depending on your electricity supplier, you may be able to get a discounted purchase & install deal.

Post edited by ongarite on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Something like this:

https://www.electricalwholesaler.ie/products/specialoffers/latestproducts/opsbwf02

Also comes in single channel. Very straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

I’d be interested to hear if you manage to find one easy to use and reasonably priced please. Been thinking of getting one for the oil heating also.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

For just on/off remotely (without thermostat) Sonoff or similar would be a cheap alternative.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,725 ✭✭✭✭phog

Current switch doesn't have a thermostat. It's a fairly basic on/off with timer depending on how many slots you push in or at what time period you push the slots in for.

So I'd like to rip this one out and replace it with one unit which is wifi compatible. Though, I have space if I need to leave exisiting setup in place and wire to a wifi switch, not sure if electrical wiring would stretch to an additional unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

That’s all I’m looking for, are they easy to install? Also, do I need to pay for a SIM card or can it connect to my Wi-Fi.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Wifi only. You'll be working with mains electricity, so how easy that side is depends on your skills.

Connecting to WiFi also depends on your signal and skills.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Revisiting this as it dropped off my radar for a while because I got involved in a few other DIY jobs in the house.

1. Is this a switch that I connect between power supply and a manual timer as I'd like to use the manual one when in the house (leave manual timer on permanently when using the Sonoff to control the heat and vice versa for using the manual timer)
    2. Is it controlled by an App on my phone?
    3. In searching Sonoff Switches what is my main search criteria as I seem to see a load of different types and want to ensure I get what works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hunter2000

Go EPH, you will quickly realise a sonoff will be a bad move and need to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭domeld

I went with Wiser, working great - you dont have to install smart thermostats on your radiators to use it but i strongly recommend.

• Advertisement

What is EPH?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hunter2000

It’s on the google

I had tried "the google" before asking what EPH was but the only thing I could see was a thermostat controlled unit. I'm looking for a timer controlled unit hence me asking for a bit more info on what EPH you were talking about.

Advertisement