Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

G30 5 series - oil above maximum level alert in iDrive

Options
  • 27-12-2021 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

As the title suggests got this error yesterday afternoon driving home from the shop. I checked the dipstick this morning when cold and it’s was about 3/4 full. Nowhere near max. Started the car and no error popped up

Took it for a spin and the error didn’t show up for a good 20 minutes into the drive. I’m starting to wonder if it’s a sensor issue but would like some reassurance as my mechanic is closed today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I've read up on this before so it could be a few things imo:

1. The oil measure sensor is gone faulty.
    2. If the car is used for short trips regularly then the DPF maybe not be regenerating properly and mixing excess diesel into the oil sump which in turn means the oil level mixed with diesel and rises above maximum.

Either way I'd get it looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭jmreire

More than likely a faulty sensor, but the only real way to check is by having it scanned. As bazz said, if it's doing frequent regens, that can cause excess unburnt fuel to enter the sump, mix with the oil, giving a too high oil level reading. But if that's what is happening, then the dipstick will read high at any time, but as its reading low on the stick, I'd say a faulty sensor. Or could it be the low level is what is the problem? Get a ltr of the proper engine oil, and add 500ml and drive it again, and see what happens. If still reading low, add the remaining 500ML. Under no circumstances over fill it.

Advertisement