Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of people who seek revenge?

Options
  • 27-12-2021 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

What do you think of people where seeking revenge consumes them? They are like Shylock looking for a pound of flesh over the most slightest of things.

They are sad and pathetic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Depends on what the vengeance is sought for.

Sometimes when justice isn’t done people may seek their own personal justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Entirely depends on the circumstances, ever seen the movie Sicario?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pfau

A little bit of sweet revenge could be healthy. I'm talking about a different type of revenge where it consumes one's soul.

I walked away from a relationship 6 years ago because it wasn't working for me. The ex is still in that place of revenge against me. Not just one act of revenge. 6 years of escalating revenge. All just for walking away from the relationship.

“Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves” 

Believed to be said by Confucious (although who said it is immaterial as it is a salient point) . The point is that is achieves nothing only misery. No one wins. Sometimes, people confuse seeking justice and accountability, with seeking revenge, whereas they are two different things in truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

im sure there would be a great happienes to even the score card so to speak, some has done you a wrong and your evening it up.

not sure i have a problem with that once your not hurting them .

you can have a part time hatred for someone that doesnt take up much of your time . more like a hobby.

revenge is a dish best served cold and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

You're right, they're sad, pathetic individuals.

And I will hunt them down.

Depends on the circumstances. If its something bad then revenge is justified. I wouldn't recommend breaking the law though. Some people are so petty they have to get even for every little sleight. Sometimes its better to let things go, you only hurt yourself in the long run by dwelling on every perceived sleight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I want to get back at them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Are we talking About waking from a coma to find the perps who left you for dead also killed your wife and children? If so bloody vengeance is perfectly acceptable.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 14,830 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I'll get you for this OP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I take it you have never tried taking revenge, OP?

It is an absolutely sweet feeling. Nothing pathetic about it, apart from most people getting caught for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Revenge or turning the other cheek?

Easy choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

It all depends. I wouldn't go exacting revenge to satisfy my ego like some brainless mafioso if someone "disrespected" my family or something lame like that. I can let that go. If someone did something that was a bit more serious or ongoing then I would bide my time and play the long game. I had it before in the workplace. Had to deal with a bullying manager on one occasion and a backstabber on another. After diplomacy, reasoning and rationale failed, I set them up. One got fired, the other demoted and eventually left. Do I feel good about it? No, but I don't feel bad either. To me it was just one of those emotionless things that needed to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

I got an awful time from a guy in work a few years ago, to the point where I nearly had a nervous breakdown. He came from a very wealthy family and thought he didn’t have to put any effort into life himself. His father owned the company we worked at and gave the son a director’s job. He just took a serious disliking to me and took every opportunity to destroy me emotionally. Sly private dig here, awful publicly humiliating comment there. I was going for a promotion and he was on the interview panel but I only found that out once I had applied. He destroyed me in the interview and it was totally over the top and unnecessary. So much so that HR had to step in. I didn’t get promoted either despite being more or less perfect for the role.

Anyway, I was in Kerry with my wife a few months later and we stayed in a hotel and of all the people who was in the bar one evening with his wife? Dickface from work. Turns out it wasn’t his wife. Turns out it was the wife of a guy we also worked with only I didn’t know this, my wife recognised her as someone who had given her a terrible time in school. Perfect opportunity for a bit of revenge.

His wife and the woman’s husband got anonymous pictures sent to their Facebook accounts at the same time. There was absolute mayhem over it. The woman’s husband put a sledgehammer through the windscreen of a car, the two women got into a dust up outside the primary school gates.

When the dust settled, the fella that gave me a hard time got divorced and got cleaned out in the process. The board more or less forced a resignation from him from the company. Turns out I wasn’t the only person he was bullying and once there was a bit of gossip people decided to stand up and start pushing back. Complaints and harassment files were sent to HR who didn’t have the balls to sack him so went to the board who did it for them.

Am I happy that I ruined two marriages? No I’m not, but the controlled manner in which this guy dismantled my confidence and hard work over a prolonged period made him fair game.

I love that people sharing their revenge stories need to stress that they didn’t enjoy it, so the self righteous masses cannot lay into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭BrianD3

People who take revenge are generally shunned, regarded as nutcases and punished heavily. If we take the case of someone who has been relentlessly bullied and gets revenge - while people may say "fair play" privately or on the Internet, in public they won't. Might is right and bullies and assholes generally do very well for themselves in life. The "weak" are not supposed to hit back. And they're certainly not supposed to enjoy it.

Courts will throw the book at people who take revenge. E.g. the recent case in Cork County Council where an employee released rats into the offices and received a custodial sentence while much more serious crimes receive lesser punishments.

Depends what it is.

If a person has been treated unethically by a professional I would report them to their representing body.

Other than that makes sense when a person has been wronged that they'd have just anger, would like to get justice in some way. Revenge can escalate quickly and consume a person. Using the energy in a different way would be helpful to the person who was wronged and society in general

“Using the energy in a different way would be helpful to the person who was wronged and society in general”

Sounds so easy..and where would be to be fun in that?

• Advertisement

Some people are just toxic, and unfortunately it can be hard avoiding them, eg if they are your boss. People can be quietly very jealous, and that is the main source of this toxicity. Like that son, mentioned in a post who was handed everything on a plate by his father; probably actually very jealous of other employees of his Dad’s company in that they are actually making it all the way on their own ability and effort. The human mind is complex but the need to feel we are succeeding ourselves is a big driver, and if we find ourselves failing it can lead to bitterness and jealously that is directed towards others.

I’ve been bizarrely subject to the butter jealousy of a few toxic people, eg people who were paid more than me but that I was doing my and most of their work, which they were not seemingly really capable of doing it didn’t try and become capable. People like that are bullies, will blame you for everything that goes wrong (stuff they caused to go wrong!), and this is how they often are in the habit of conducting their entire lives.

justified anger can be a very positive catalyst for change, stewing in jealousy serves for ongoing bitterness, which leads to possibly dangerous rituals of revenge, where as one poster said from a quote, two (or more) graves are dug. The jealous person has possibly dug many of them as it’s a toxic habit of thinking.

That is beautiful, also incredibly fortunate in terms of how it all teed up for you and all you had to do was stick it in the net

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

They're making a moral mistake and should let it go instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

Releasing rats into an office is terroristic. A custodial sentence is totally deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,879 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

As that song says…. Living well is the best revenge.

nothing more disastrous from a bully’s point of view then them committing acts to try and destroy you, derail you only for you to get up, dust yourself off and go on being happy and successful… more happy, more successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,298 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I don't really know to be honest. However I do find some people can't leave the past in the past and move on without moaning on about how they were wronged or planning some type of revenge can be a hard to deal it.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Speedline

A cousin of mine scammed 10s of thousands and cost me a couple of thousand in the process. I caught him 5 years later, and broke him up on the spot. I enjoyed every bit of it.

3 weeks later, another cousin of ours caught him over something else and broke him up with a martial arts cosh.

I could mention many scummy things he did over the years just to family alone. I just wasn't having any of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement