Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike discount

Options
  • 26-12-2021 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

If ordering a new bike from a main dealership would you be expecting any discount on the list price, if yes how much do you think is fair.Would you walk away if they refused to give any.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

In the current climate they might consider you to be lucky to receive an allocation of a new bike... I'd be interested to know if they'd offer any discount...

Yoi might be lucky and receive so e security items thrown in...

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Only main dealership is BMW, everyone else is but a franchise

it’s more important to get a good dealership rather than the best discount.

Will be touring all main Dublin dealerships in 2022 for the customer experience before buying a new bike. The best so far was Yamaha in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Not sure how customer experience matters more than the best price. Unless you just like being told you are special for buying something. Wherever I can get what I want cheapest is all that's relevant to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭tenreds

Yeah it’s a BMW dealership, just fancy something new out of the box and before buying maybe someone here had some dealings with them

Price of second hand bikes at moment being so high, buying a new one with warranty seems to make sense to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I bought a 2021 bike recently, used. I wanted a new one, but was given an up to 1 year lead time to get it.

It worked out perfectly for me, I got the exact one I wanted but it actually cost a bit more than a new one, but I didn't have to wait to get it.

Anyone I dealt with for a new bike here was quoting list price only - with a possible increase in 2022 by the time it would actually be delivered.

No one offering any discount, so I would think to get value here do it some other way: have they cheap finance? Or accessories, service vouchers etc.

That's just the way the world is atmo.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I looked at a bike earlier this year 2020, v low mileage. It was between that and new.

Your man I was talking to expected price rises this year and there was no budge whatsoever on list price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Who gave you a year lead time ?

There is a certain shop in Dublin pulling this sh!te. They are trying to sell the bikes on the floor first and quoting ludicrous times for anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Buy from Germany used ? Huge choice and dealers are easy to deal with .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭blade1

The way to really find out how good a customer service is, is when something goes wrong.

They'd want to be thick as shīt to be bad before you've spent your money there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Yeah, hard to gauge a shops after sales service from their presales patter. The manufacturers performance on warranty is also key.

I bought new in 2021 and could not get a cent off the price. But the bike I bought had a long wait list and basic economic principle of supply and demand kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭Goose81

You will get absolutely no discount.

When I went to bmw last year I tried to haggle and your man goes that’s the price if you don’t want to pay see you later. The mark up is tiny for them and this was a brand new 22 grand bike and he was prepared to let me walk away no problem

I presume this was in Dublin ? Go up north the next time and it'll be a lot different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭Goose81

Joe Duffy Mottarad, I highly doubt it would have been any cheaper up north or even worth the hassle of getting 200 quid off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭goblin59

Definitely not cheaper up north as you'd have VAT now as well as VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

You would need to check that directly with the shop in NI. With brexit alot of stuff changed, I know Northern Ireland remained pretty much the same, but this is different to the import and export of goods in the EU as the purchase is made in NI and its up to you to register it as a new vehicle in ROI

Depends on the shop.

Some just won't go through the hassle of it for a single bike sale. Even in N.i. there's a shortage of both new & used bikes and they can sell more than they can get locally without the VAT / HMRC hassle.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Two different franchised dealers, neither of them in Dublin btw.

A friend of mine took delivery of his at the beginning of October: same bike as mine- he waited 9 months for his.

Btw new Hondas in this country do NOT come via either the UK or Honda Europe. They come direct from Japan due to some prehistoric import agreement with Japan..... probably dates back to the Reg Armstrong era...

So even if Honda EU have them them in spades in Rotterdam,.... Honda here won't get it for you/buy from them.

Megabikes will get it for you, mind, but you'll be paying over List at that stage as they won't get the same wholesale price, and you have to add logistic costs etc....

Either way, I got my 2021 in NL.

Ode To The Motorist

Yeah, same deal here, pay full list and wait 7 months for the bike or take a 2021

• Advertisement

I saved close to 4 grand on a new BMW last year. That was on the road , VAT , VRT paid.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I see a good few new Royal Enfield's hitting the road from Adare. Mainly Himalayan's. 26bhp wouldn't do it for me, but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

They are way too expensive in this country... To close in price to the next tier up... They are a nice idea, but only if they are good value.

new Himalayan 650 will be a nice middleweight adventure tourer, 47bhp, but I wish they kept the 21" front wheel

Advertisement