Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Commercial Vehicles, do you have to be VAT Registered??

• 26-12-2021 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭ spankmemunkey

I was just about to purchase a van and I've been told i must be VAT registered to purchase a van, I carry tools for my job i need to buy timber etc etc but I'm not vat registered.

I've heard people say its not the case and I've heard people say it is the case.

What about sole traders??

The dealer here in Waterford told me its rubbish but i don't want to buy a van and realise i have a problem!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,392 ✭✭✭✭ elperello

No problem purchasing a van but taxing it commercially is a bit complicated.

Check the website of the local authority where you will be taxing the vehicle.

There will be a list of documentation required, if you can supply that documentation you are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ Rustyman101

Also if you are taxing privately you will have a bit of a search for insurance cover, for some reason they don't like taxing vans for private individuals, no bother commercial.

AFAIK you need a VAT number to tax commercial, the stupid questions I got asked when insuring was unreal !

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ Rustyman101

Another thing even if you tax private you will still need a test every year, its a light vehicle test done in the likes of sheridans not the NCT centre, Again no big deal, age doesn't matter either.

Advertisement