Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Falling Radio Figures.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Most radio show presenters are just annoying bar the few that have interesting guests on . 99% of radio now is waffle and a bit of music which can be streamed advert free on numerous platforms without the waffle . TV and Radio as we know it is dying quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭TheBMG

“Ladies on the radio?”

This has got to be a wind up.

I worked all my career in libraries. We had one particular cantankerous elderly female customer who started taking out the audio books when her sight was failing and she would naturally ask for a selection to be made for her. Each visit she reminded us that the narrator was required to be male as “I can’t bear to listen to women’s screechy voices”. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

I don't understand why 2fm axed breakfast republic after spending years building it up, it had 90k more listeners than the current breakfast show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Interestingly I used always tune into Muireann on today fm and she was axed and I never again listened to today fm at that time I find Shay Byrne a great start to the day he really has a lovely style ,plenty of other interesting presenters on local radio for the remainder of the day .I would also like and listen to Ray Foley,John Creedon and even Pat Kenny .The main stream are definitely slipping though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in their "listening" figures. On the rare ocassion I turn on the radio in the car inevitably I give up after less than a minute and am back listening to uninterrupted music/ad free courtesy of spotify. When I get home I just resume the playlist. If I want news then I get it up to date on my phone. Traditional radio is facing a slow death.

Way back when, around the mid - nineties, FM 104 was littering pouring money into the promotion of the morning radio show on weekdays, "The Strawberry Alarm Clock" - Ads on Bus Shelters, On Billboards, etc.

Who remembers the show now?

Zilch. Thought so

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Irish radio is not something worth listening to most of the time IMV. The usual RTE luvvies afraid of their own PC shadow, presenters with little between their ears and news/current affairs peppered with recipes and beauty slots along with the ubiquitus Mental Health/Death/Dying/Covid shyte day after day after day.

Sorry to sound so negative, but I swerve the lot of them apart from Pat Kenny (and I occasionally turn him off too), and Gavan Reillly on Sundays.

Other than that it is LBC or BBC radio 4 for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

Many people have said on forums over the years that the jnlrs system is a load of nonsense but I think the fact that it showed a massive drop in listenership for 2fm Midmorning when G ryan died and today FM when Darcy left proves that it is working properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,485 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Lets be honest, both incarnations are absolutely awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭TheBMG

Yup, the three decade spanning, multi award winning, consistently number one in Dublin breakfast show certainly did fade into obscurity 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Listening there now to barry lang on 4fm no bullsht talk only sht hot 80's one after the next .No wonder 2fm back in the day was King .No one ever beats the likes of them old lads but jim o neill was surely the best of them

• Registered Users Posts: 15,810 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Just like streaming is killing scheduled tv, podcasts and streaming will strangle radio listenership figures. There's only a handful of must-listen shows nationally and locally, the rest is filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

These days, Spotify is suggesting a playlist to me with music interspersed with news podcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Re the OP, surely 2FM is dead in the water and has been drowning for years - too many similar options, many with the added benefit of a local slant.

But I'm not sure about general talk radio - yes a good proportion can be naff and rehashing the same discussions of the day. But the point is that it requires little effort to put it on. You can work away at something productive and either not listen/ half listen or fully engage as suits. Streaming services / podcasts require more effort to organise and in latter case, probably demand more attention. Whereas you can be surprised on general talk radio, it's not always predictable. So I don't think it's day is done yet by a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Not necessarily! I would prefer presenters who brought their own personality to radio!

Not a contrived one, with an element of control & expectation!

What I'm hearing on the majority of broadcasts now is like a party political broadcast!

I travell quite a lot hrough the country & listen to various stations as I go & they are all

beginning to sound the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lord Nelson

As someone who has been known to make irregular appearances on the wireless, I find it hardly surprising that people feel the way they do. Computerisation, heavy play listing and rotation have sucked what little joy out of what was left in presenting. Every 15 minutes or so, a little red light flashes on the screen to prompt me to utter some banality. Then it’s back to reading the paper until the next link. It’s reassuring to know if I dropped dead the wretched thing would just keep going!! No wonder any talentless git can get a radio gig these days?

• Advertisement
Advertisement