Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Christmas Dinner?

Options
  • 24-12-2021 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,547 ✭✭✭✭

Turkey (maybe Goose, interchangable)

Some cranberry sauce

Ham (boiled in something really sugary like Coca Cola does the trick), glazed in honey for the oven

Stuffing

Mustard

Roast potatoes cooked in goose or some other fat

Gravy

Wine

Mushy peas for the weak ones

Christmas pudding and brandy cream for afters

Beer

🤗

What's on the menu this year in other boreds households? 🎄 Any suggestions?

Comments

tbh with how non-Christmassy it’s felt coming up to Christmas i nearly could throw a pizza in the oven..

all the same I’m starting prep today for turkey and ham with all the bits and pieces you’d expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Probably roast beef or chicken, mash , roast potatoes , veg and gravy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Had to commit to cooking almost at the last minute this year so may not get everything done; also only cooking for three this time - the stuff in [] is definite for if I'm feeding nine but might get skipped tomorrow.

Turkey, glazed ham, [stuffing], gravy, [mushroom sauce], roast potatoes, [mash], [croquettes], roast carrots, roast parsnips, roast red onions

Going to start on the ham when I get back from work and we'll see how time goes for everything else tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,433 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Working Xmas day 06.00 till 2 pm, will head home and do my traditional Xmas day ham and cheese toasties and watch a movie 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 25,433 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,066 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Probably a curry, or maybe a pizza.

(On holidays in SE asia)

Soup

Seafood cocktail

Turkey, ham, stuffing, pigs in blankets, roast potatoes, mash potatoes, brussel sprouts, cauliflower cheese, mashed carrots and swede, roasted parsnips, gravy, cranberry sauce.

Trifle

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

We don't like turkey so have a chicken

Chicken

Brussel sprouts ( love those little guys )

Roast potatoes

Roast carrots

Stuffing

Ham

Very simple , no cranberry sauce for me ,don't like it

Damn I forgot the Brussels!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I cook Turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, roast potatoes, stuffing, gravy, sprouts (I don't eat them myself), honey glazed carrots, peas - and my personal pièce de résistance: cold Heinz baked beans straight from the tin. I think we're gonna need a bigger plate.

Not sure what I'll drink with it: Milk, coke or beer. Depends on how I feel on the day.

Ice cream, whipped cream, jelly and meringue for dessert. Christmas pudding and custard for those freaks who want it.

But my very favourite bit of Christmas food: At about 9 pm, sitting down watching a movie or whatever, relaxing; a slice of Christmas cake, 2 chocolate biscuits, a packet of cheese and onion crisps, and a hot cup of strong tea. Heaven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Just keeping it really easy this year because 2 years ago I tried to do waaay too much and ended up spending most of the day in the kitchen stressed out. I got cook in the bag turkey breast and ham from the local butchers. I'll make a mixed herb and onion mashed potato with roast potatoes and sauteed mixed veggies. I'll make a nice gravy from the turkey and ham juices. I just picked up a sherry trifle in Tesco yesterday for our dessert.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Splish Splash

Dinner: Turkey, Ham, potato stuffing, sausage stuffing, sage and onion stuffing, sprouts, carrot and parsnip mash, gravy, roasties, bread sauce, pigs in blankets, cranberry sauce.

Christmas pud, trifle and banoffee pie for dessert.

Starters or not depending on what time we have breakfast/brunch... and whether a Christmas swim goes ahead or not 🎄⛄️

For the main Turkey, Ham, potatoes mash and roast, carrots, stuffing, gravy, I’ll suffer a few sprouts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

anyone see a nice way of cooking and presenting Carrots & Parsnips.

Usually just peel , cut up and lob on a tray and drizzle oil on and put into oven. Looking to sexy-up the veg this year.

Other veg I have at my disposal this year is:

1. Aubergine
    2. Mushrooms
    3. Butternut Squash
    4. Onions
    5. Red Papers.

Open to ideas .....

Happy Xmas all.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭Archeron

Ham and Turkey, but as part of a Christmas day cold salad. Lots of types of tomatoes, onion, pickled onion, coleslaw, beetroot, cheeses, bell peppers and various branston pickle type things.

Then an Oxford lunch so dense that even light can't escape it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,873 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Turkey, ham, acres of delicious homemade stuffing, creamy mash, roast, sprouts, carrots and gravy flavored with juices of the meat…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Can anyone help ..... I bought chestnuts to make cheatnut and pancetta sprouts. Stupidly bought chestnuts in shell and I've no idea how to cook them?

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

oooh cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MTU

Whatever just eat will have to offer.

• Advertisement

Just put the turkey in the microwave and pressed the button that looks like a turkey leg. 🍗👌🏻

I'll eat whatever is put in front of me when I drag myself to my brothers house 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Beans on toast - I'll be at work and the canteen is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Preheat oven to 180 (fan) place chestnuts flat side down, score the skin (its soft) with a knife, so theres a slit in the skin, roast in the oven slit side up for about 25-30 mins, the skin should be peeling back. Leave to cool in tray. Peel and enjoy, chop for recipie.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,547 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Wouldn't it be safer to cook the Turkey in an oven? I'm not dissing the turkey leg magic button just... erm food poisoning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Cranberry sauce is just so wrong and American. It's basically warm jam on meat, yuck.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Advertisement