Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That feel good Bord Gais ad - WTF

Options
  • 21-12-2021 8:59pm

https://youtu.be/cfKvSl8qT40

So, on the face of it, a pretty harmless feel good Bord Gais ad. But let's dissect it a little.

It starts with the young Bord Gais boiler technician on the phone explaining to his mother why he won't be around for Christmas day. When she protests at how harsh that is, he retorts "I volunteered mum, sure it'll keep me busy anyway" followed by cutting the call short. First red flag, he voluntarily opted to spend Christmas away from his mother and family and didn't really seem to want to make much time for them "gotta go mum" aka "I don't want to spend Christmas with you, now fck off annoying me".

He then calls out to a customer (mother with child) and fixes the boiler. He obviously informed the family he'll be spending Christmas on call. We'll need to ignore the fact he's maskless and allows the girl to rummage around his toolbox, clearly health and safety aren't priorities for Bord Gais.

Later he gets a call from the same customer. He calls out, and a bemused husband beacons him in without saying anything, clearly embarrassed. The husband is clearly a bit of a loser, wearing a paper crown to answer the door to a stranger, what a dweeb. We'll come back to this later. Bord Gais man gets the prime seat at the top of the table. Head of the household, if you will.

Anyway, four things strike me here;

1. The customers called him knowing this would disturb his Christmas day. Not only is this incredibly selfish, it is a bit creepy.

2. Are the customers paying for this call out? He clearly used Bord Gais fuel for the journey, and is now on work time. How would his corporate overlords feel about this? He is also clearly indisposed from other work now. What about the other calls? Will the family also spring for the barrister for his inevitable Employment Appeals Tribunal (half serious question)?

3. The customers have now willfully invited an outsider into their home, again, wearing no mask, and an increased Covid risk having visited many homes. I am sure this goes against their Covid policy. When I got my boiler serviced the technician wore a mask.

4. Is the wife (customer) into him? Clearly, the husband is a bit awkward about the whole thing. He is also clearly out of the wife's league (he's a bit of a dweeb, see above). It is interesting to see the natural chemistry between Bord Gais man and his future step daughter.

I think an all round strange ad, and failure of innocent feel good. It just has too many holes.

Comments

Advertisement