Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apprentice 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭siblers

It was the best episode so far. Harpreet is the only credible candidate but she has her own complications

The other 3 were farcical, Jessica didn't even have a business plan. Some joke of a show

• Registered Users Posts: 81,404 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's a pity the full business plans of each of the other 8 are not available to view this see how suitable they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

Don’t really see the love island style of it, what do you mean? The candidates are definitely worse but I’m not sure why they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I doubt your’man wuda given away the web address for free to a fella, he only did it cos she is a very pretty young lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It’s a tv show, researchers did that and the producers decided what to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The name MyEverydayPyjamas and the fact that she hadn't claimed it was far less of a 'gotcha' than Mike Soutar seemed to think. It's not as if the name actually matters that much in the first place (OurEverydayPyjamas is far closer to her usp) but regardless there will still be multiple variations of it unclaimed. It's not as if any customers will be typing it in at the URL bar anyway - people use search engines so it's far more important to have SEO working regardless of the URL.

Dare I say I also think posters expect a bit too much from these business plans? If it was an already thriving and easily scale-able business, or a really clever innovative idea that looked likely to succeed, then it's unlikely that they would go on this programme. Dragons Den if you really wanted to go on TV, but more likely the venture capital route.

Anyone who goes on this programme is almost certainly going to be pitching a very small and struggling operation with existing flaws, or an idea that needs a huge amount of work.

I think at this stage people that go on this are pushing themselves as the product. I’d wonder how many past winners are thriving in the business they pushed. Didn’t the earlier seasons used to lead to jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

By far the weakest season I’ve ever watched but have to say the last 2 episodes were brilliant.

would like to see them try get higher quality candidates next year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,702 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Every year people say the candidates are getting dumber etc but the reality is that every year has idiots and good candidates.

Think the women in the final are smart intelligent and confident young women, the business plans are what's holding them back yet we don't want to see digital marketing plans and the like every year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Great episode but my word, what an uninspiring collection of business plans (some of which were even a stretch to call them that).

Harpreet had the only viable option but the ownership issue is enormous and something that would have had her fired years ago when there were stronger plans in running.

The fact that the final is no longer given the premium Sunday night airing says an awful lot about where the series is these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Agreed about Harpreet, didn't Jordan from series 9 get instantly dismissed for something similar at the interviews stage?

Regarding the second part of your post, last time I checked the viewing figures were about 7 million in the UK, which is pretty consistent with what it would be usually, so I'm not sure it's down to any perceived lack of standard or quality as to why its not on Sunday this year.

That's fair. From Wikipedia it does seem that the numbers are relatively stable/consistent so maybe I'm in the wrong there that viewership is dropping. In one regard, its incredible that its pumping out consistent numbers after all this time, I never would have thought it!

But not having that premier Sunday evening slot/pedestal is certainly indicative that something is different. I'd certainly be one to keep tuning into it but it is evident more than ever that the contestant pool is becoming weaker year on year and the format is becoming very stale and repetitive week on week. So maybe viewing numbers are consistent but actual interest, intrigue or buy-in isn't as high?

On the format, its mad to think that the series has now been about the business plan investment (Series 7-16) far longer than being the "becoming an apprentice" (Series 1-6).

M

I think the format needs to change given that the winner is seeking investment from Sugar, perhaps start out with 50 people and their business idea, cut them down to the 12 over 3 initial episodes purely on hard interviews and questioning on their business idea/plan, then continue with normal format, sort of Dragon's Den meets Apprentice.

It looked like this series that not a single person in the know had looked at the business plans for either of the contestants to see they were actually investable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Jordan was deceit though, in that he hadn't told them. And also he was only willing (or able) to give up 20% of the business for the €250K.

The crucial difference this time is I think that Harpreet was up-front about it and it had been known by Sugar and the advisors from the start.

So it was just a 'bombshell' for the viewers when it was belatedly revealed us in the interviews. Purely a device to create some dramatic tension as it was pretty much the only thing which cast some small doubt on Harpreet advancing to the final.

It was certainly a bit different alright. That said, was she upfront though? Claude (I think it was) took issue that she claimed all the work in the business plan was her doing and that it was mentioned in the fine print that she owned only 50% of the business. I don't think she in any way proved that she sad the driving force in her business.

Plus there were no mechanics to remove her sister just a comment that "oh we spoke about that, and she'll just give it up" which in itself sounds ludicrous.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Absolutely. The whole I bought your domain thing was purely for the entertainment factor (most of his stuff was). Worrying about your domain being taken is old hat these days. Hardly an issue since the early 2010s.

I agree the format needs a major reworking. I sometimes wonder are they somehow tied to a format based on the original franchise (maybe the former POTUS has a tight grip on the format) or can they change it as they like.

M

'Why I Fired Them' is on tomorrow night on BBC1 at 10.35pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I watched a few best of Claude Littner videos on YouTube this morning, few crackers 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I’d love an episode that runs through the past winners of the 250k investment and where the companies/contestants are now. Even an episode on former candidates who didn’t win that are doing well.. considering they all say “this won’t be the last you here from me” in the taxi after getting fired.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I'd love to know if any of the contestants have attempted to "keep in touch" with Sugar, as he's sometimes encouraged some of the ones he's fond of to do. Equally, I'd like to know if he's really open to contact or if he leaves the phone off the hook 😅

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭leath_dub

• Registered Users Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

I feel there is alot less 'hype' and media coverage in general. Maybe cause I am older now I identify less with the contestants and most of my friends aren't watching; when I was watching the first few series I was similar age to the contestants etc. Before if I missed an episode you'd only have to open the Daily Mail or Irish Independent to see who had been fired. Now its buried in the newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

In fairness the show is approaching 20 years on air and is never going to be able to maintain such cultural relevance over such a long period.

In the states it adapted somewhat by becoming primarily The Celebrity Apprentice. I think the UK version had an opportunity to do similar by doing a bit more with the likes of The Junior Apprentice.

Yeah, Lord Sugar had no interest in continuing the apprentice hiring format which was why they shifted to business investments to keep on board. I'd say given his increasing age, he has no interest in changing tact on that. If I remember correctly, he donates his fee to charity so he's really only interested in the entrepreneurial side despite how basic the contestants seem these days.

So it's keep going as is or replace him and I can't see anyone else doing it after so long and it working.

That said, I'd watch a series of Claude ripping apart business plans. 😂

I think reality shows do this over time, what the people want out of it changes over time. I think a lot just want a bit of exposure for whatever reason. It was like big brother which started with some what normal people doing something and became like a freak show over time as it attracted different people for different reasons. It became car crash tv which was successful in its own way but people lose interest over time in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I’d like to see Claude on Dragons Den.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Of the people who apply, I'd imagine a very small fraction have legitimate businesses s/plans and of those, only a smaller fraction would make for entertaining tv. This is why we get the likes of Akshey and Brittany

I'd say very few people who are seeking genuine investment would ever want to go near The Apprentice. I definitely wouldn't

Post edited by siblers on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Ironically enough the dragons would all be small fry compared to Alan sugar, he would probably worth as much as all the dragons combined

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

These cakes look very dry. Where is the cream??

Advertisement