Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

I thought it was pretty obvious what you meant!

Im in the same boat and I did contact them and they said even though it says 2020 you are still in for 2022 so you should be good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Yeh, I'm not sure why it wasnt updated in Eventmaster for race series as they did update the marathon itself with new sponsors and correct year attached to it..

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Runster

Yeah best place would probably be Facebook messenger or if you can get a phone number,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

They've replied to me from eventmaster and DCM saying same thing that essentially even though they are too lazy to update the details on their side your entry still stands.

Serious malaise from organizers in general this year I've found bar some smaller independent races. Seems like they are happy to increase fees due to "inflation" etc but aren't willing to do the basics properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Pondersome

Hi all,

Unfortunately missed out on getting a place for the marathon this year and just wondering what do you think the chances are of-

1. Them making more available?

2. Getting a ticket from someone who decides against doing it closer to the time? (Not even sure is it allowed to use their number?)

I would like the idea of running for a charity but would be afraid of not being able to hit the fundraising target!

Thanks for any input!

• Advertisement

There are still a good few charities offering places, that's the only way you'll get your name in the results.

You could get a bib off someone and get a letter to collect for them, not sure how strict the expo is on this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

2022 Novice Thread has started here for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭Trampas

€110, getting dearer by the day. Better than being hung out to dry if you don't hit an unreachable target set by charities with the way people's pockets are being hammered these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Ouch, €93 for the last entry period in 2019.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

At €110 you’d nearly get 5 full marathons for the price of 1.

Don’t think I’d bother pay full price when you can get them for 20/30 quid off adverts and done deal

Id agree that there is a balance that needs to be struck with pricing.

If I wasn't already doing Chicago and needed an alternative I'd be looking at Poznan.

€29 entry

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Then you look at fuel prices and hotel prices, Dublin marathon is not as attractive at that price for people travelling!!

I live in Dublin and still think I would skip it at that price

People will select their races more carefully now with the cost of living increasing

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭longrunn

€110 is madness. I was a bit annoyed that I didn't sign up initially and when I heard there was more entries becoming available I was going to enter, but I can't justify €110 especially when I have to drive up from Cork and stay overnight. I'll be going foreign for a winter marathon.

How much do people think it should cost?

A lot of the big city marathons are north of €100

€55-€70

With the option to pay extra for a t shirt, hat or jumper etc.

It should between €70-€80.

25000 tickets,your in the millions however there is a fair amount of overheads.

And at 25,000 how many actually show up and run it,a lot less than 20k which is a very fair buffer on the finance side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I was sorry i didnt sign up originally and would like to do it but i wont pay €110

From talking to people at races ect, I think theres a huge amount of people signed up from 19/20, whos entry has rolled on that wont do it. So i think there will be numbers everywhere in a couple of months. They will be given away for little or mothing. I think i'll take my chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

I've an entry from 2020 so I'm doing it, but no way i would fork out €110. Over €100 is just beyond my comfort zone for a race. I'll enjoy this one as it will be my last Dublin marathon with that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

The cost for international participants for London is £99, plus a £26 carbon offset levy. It is £49 for UK residents. Berlin is 150 euro. Plenty of US marathons are well over 100.

Are you suggesting that Dublin should offer half price admission to Irish residents or London should up their price?

Berlin is a major marathon. Dublin is more comparable to Paris which starts at €55.

Alot of them are major marathons though and have a top class field to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭event

Jesus thats expensive. I've an entry rolled over from 2020 so not so bad but €110 is steep. At what point can you defer/transfer entries?

Was really looking forward to it, knocked 5 mins off my half PB in July so was hopeful and had an aggressive training plan set up. Got the dreaded positive covid today so that will set me back a few weeks. Will work on building up the HR or has anyone used a specific plan which they used after COVID?

Does Paris, London, Dublin and others pay for everything involved in running it from water, barriers, medical, police etc or do some get them from free? Sponsorship the same relative ?

They get major sponsors worth millions of euros but also have too pay for lots of stuff too,like hotel rooms for all the pacers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Im off to New York in November, originally entered the 2020 marthon which was cancelled. Were offered a deferral to 21,22 or 23. I think I paid 325 dollars as an overseas entrant but hey...........its New York !!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭gar

Needs a booking code now... Anyone have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭sk8board

I was about to say the same, a foreign entry bib for NYC is very expensive, before you fly and stay.

for cheap overseas scenic marathons, Paris or Barcelona are hard to beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I would be surprised if the organisers viewed the pricing of this event as an opportunity for a shakedown.

The large increase in price is reflective of the increase in costs in almost every good or service over the last 2 years. This event is surely no different.

If people want to complain about this then I suspect the appropriate targets are not the people organising the Dublin Marathon.

As far as the number of participants go, I can see a significantly lower number of people lining up in October than was originally planned for. Obviously there is a lag factor in that many people have numbers from events run several years ago and these people are no longer running.

More than this though there looks to be a dramatic decline in participation in running in the period after re-opening than in the period leading up to 2020. This is not just paid events but unpaid events. The number of people lining up for events this year is lower than the same races of 2019, 2018 etc. The number of people running at parkrun every week is down quite a bit compared to the equivalents in 2019. Granted this isn't very scientific, but there does seem to be a pattern.

Advertisement