Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Called for Jury Service

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I remember the one and only time I was called for jury service, it was this time of year.

My name wasn't called all week and on the last day of selection in the CCJ, just before the panel was about to be discharged, I was called with a group totalling about 20 to go for selection in front of Paul Carney. A few parents claimed no minders for the kids' mid-term and were discharged, but by the time he got to me he was in a right mood so I said nothing and next thing I know I'm Number 8 on a murder trial jury.

It'll go on for about 3 weeks says Carney. It lasted 9.

Still, I got my lifetime exemption after that. One and done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah, judges estimates are only estimates- recently did jury duty- estimate was 3 days trial and ended up being over 2 weeks.

Depending on the court, if you’re not picked on day 1 you must return if asked - this could go on for 2 weeks of turning up daily, not picked, return the following day- it would be most unfortunate to be picked on day 5 of week 2 for a long trial - it happens but it’s unfortunate. Getting picked day 1 for a short trial tends to be most people’s wish as you know exactly where you stand then- the uncertainty of trial duration or continually turning up and not getting picked can be a right pain

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭EveryoneKnowsNobodyCares

Hey, when you got called to the CCJ for jury service, did you get the summons from a county's court service or was it some body? I'm wondering for things like murder, rape, etc in the Central Criminal Court, wouldn't they have a nationally empanelled jury rather than just jurors selected from the locality?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I got a jury service summons about a year ago, it was for the Criminal Courts, and was issued by the county level registrar for Dublin.

In a past case where I was selected for service, it was all locals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Nope. The CCJ is Dublin juries. They're hardly going to get someone to commute up from Cork or Sligo every morning or shell out for a hotel in Dublin for a week, just to see if they're empannelled. Plus, Dublin has a population of 1.5 million. Chances of knowing someone involved in a case are fairly small.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭EveryoneKnowsNobodyCares

That makes sense alright. I'd wondered how they did it if a criminal trial got "centralised"/"nationalised" to the capital, would the jurors be drawn from all over the country accordingly. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭snowgal

Wow! I’m going this week and was just reading up on jury service, did it years ago but can’t remember it all! I wasn’t called after a few days anyway. Mine is local court so would never last anything like 9 weeks, but out of interest, was that every weekday for 9 weeks? Did it vary, f did yee all eat together etc during the time?

Advertisement