If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

Neighbouring site



  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ Tileman

    That’s an important point.

    some times people like to yo include you in the discussions on the problem so that you also become part of the solution. And it starts off at 4 inches but then once u agree they come back and say it now needs to be a few more inches But as you’ve agreed in principal already it’s harder to push back.

  • Registered Users Posts: 25,870 ✭✭✭✭ looksee

    Agree on asking for engineer's opinion and report on exactly what needs to be done, in writing. Your contractor, confirm insurance, they pay. Otherwise co-operate, don't make an issue of it.

  • Registered Users Posts: 16,116 ✭✭✭✭ Donald Trump

    The man is right. I wouldn't give the Council an inch.

  • Registered Users Posts: 10,506 ✭✭✭✭ wrangler

    I think I'd cut a tree /ditch to give them line of sight though, it's only a feckin tree,

    I've facilitated neighbours here and some have been absolute pups since but still would do it again and a neighbour has just facilitated me for line of sight on a different lane

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ MakersMark

    No way I'd be cutting down trees.

    We're losing far too many as it is.

  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ mickuhaha

    You could get a contract made up by your solicitor about the work and maintenance that would have to be done. Then you could get it registered on their folio as a burden.

  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭ maestroamado

    I would go to the planning office and view the planning file and see exactly what is in there... these people are too smart... i strongly expect that they may have told the council and there may be a letter stating that you agreed at the time...

    This was pretty normal practice by councils in the past where a neighbor agrees in writing to do something to assist with the planning application... the fact that you are being asked 20 years later does not give these people much credibility... Get the facts in relation to the planning and let them suggest a figure + all work is carried by them at their expense... good neighbors??

  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭ rs8

    As already said .. get it in writing and drawings whats been done off engineer. All cost go to neighbour in question! Insured contractor does work!! If you could get a nice fence out of it behind ditch would probably be the best you could do ... after that I think your over thinking things!

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ White Clover

    This^^ plus ensure its a proper stock proof fence. Not a bit of post and rail, or a couple of rows of barbed wire or a row of electric. Stock proof to keep in all classes of farm animals.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ Aravo


    Look up the councils online planning and see if that original planning is available to view online. See what is mentioned in relation to sightlines in the application and the planning permission conditions given by the council. Let this be a starting point.

  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭ older by the day

    If they asked me themselves I would try to accommodate them but thru an engineer is a bit tough. Like the people before said. Cover your ass first. If they want to take the tree and lower the hedge then they should do the work to your specifications. And find out must the hedge be kept that low from now on, or will you be liable for an accident if it grew. And if you want money ask for it. Will they give a duck about you when they have moved. Some time people have more respect for the man who speaks up for himself

  • Registered Users Posts: 25,870 ✭✭✭✭ looksee

    I have a hazy idea that creating a clear view by removing vegetation that can regrow is not acceptable for Planning.

  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭ maestroamado

    When some asks a serious question and does not engage in the conversation it gets me to thinking... there may be more to this... i wonder which of the two parties got the original planning in the first place...

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭ Deeec

    The OP said in the first line of his post that 'the site was sold on adjoining land by his neighbour years ago' - it was never the OP's land if thats what you are getting at.

  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭ maestroamado

    I asked who got the planning... the planing was granted on the basis that OP agree to make changes but they were not asked... the land the changes need to be made on are the property of OP... we may not have the whole picture...

  • Registered Users Posts: 10,506 ✭✭✭✭ wrangler

    Surely if the tree is cut and the ditch is cut, there's no difference in cutting a ditch or tree in any other part of the farm.

    Me thinks you're over thinking

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭ DBK1

    I’d have to agree. Just get the agreement in writing to avoid any hassle down the line and tell them work away and cut the tree and ditch. No point getting worked up over simple things.

  • Registered Users Posts: 10,506 ✭✭✭✭ wrangler

    I wouldn't even let them near it, I'd do it myself.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭ cjpm

    That’s precisely it. You have to live and let live in cases like this.

    I’d sooner have a few of the neighbours owing me a few small favours rather than having one who’s out to shaft you the first chance they get.

  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭ maestroamado

    Highspeed i actually thought this was a wind-up when you not come back... This guy is treating you like a total eejit if what you saying here is happening... I have a bit of experience in this... look back at my previous post on this and ask yourself how come i could pick-up on what this person is doing... If your not able to check the files yourself bring a professional with you... Dealing with people like this you need to get all the facts as they are slippery.

    It appears he is asking you to provide a letter that the council asked for 20 years ago... There likely is a letter of sorts on the file... Generally if the council make such a letter a condition the planning will not be granted until same is submitted...

    I still kinda think this is really not the case and a bit of a wind-up....

  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭ maestroamado

    I find it hard to believe all of this... dealing with people who behave like this you need to have all the facts ... talking to the neighbors waste of time as its just whinging... get the facts and sort it out but you need to have all the facts from the council to deal with people like this...

  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ Aravo

    Years ago persons were applying for planning and if there was sightline issues and in particular where the issue existed on lands not owned by the applicant. The applicant would provide a letter to planning DEPT. stating that they had permission from the landowner to keep the ditches cut to provide the necessary sighline. This letter would be signed by the landowner. But of course no hedges were ever cut and it is a bit of a joke. Now if you submit planning the preferred option is that if any sighline issues arise they arise within the applicants own lands.

    A cute man stuck for a few quid could arguably offer to sell a portion to accommodate them.

  • Registered Users Posts: 25,870 ✭✭✭✭ looksee

    Don't believe him. It might have been the case that you could do this years ago, but now there are too many people (that the house-owner pays for) keeping a close eye on things before they will sign off. What use is a letter from you? If the council/building regs get sticky is he going to sue you to get it done? Then who pays? Is that engineer going to sign off the job with the road visibility not sorted? I don't think so. Load of nonsense.

    Leave him stew, he knows what you expect; if he really wants the site he will come round to your conditions.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭ Anto_Meath

    The first condition of any planning is that the development will be completed in accordance with the documents submitted unless altered by subsequent conditions. If a letter is submitted stating you will remove the tree & adjust the hedge then that is what the engineer will have to ensure is done before s/he can give an opinion of compliance with planning permission. Which is the first document any Bank want to see before they will lend out any money. The letter for you to submit is that : if this planning application is successful you give the applicant permission at their own expenses, to remove the tree & adjust the hedgerow in accordance with the site plan submitted. But before you give them that letter you should have a written agreement of what works are to be done and an agreed date for when it should be done & that they are excepting all healthy & safety plus environment requirements associated with this application. They are in a spot of bother now though as planning permission takes a minimum of 3 months (min 2 months application period & 1 month before works can commence) which takes you to March 1st and you can't cut hedges or trees between March 1st and August, so their house sale doesn't look like it will happen soon.