Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2021 Fiesta St Line to 2017 Audi A5

Options
  • 17-12-2021 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a 2021 Ford Fiesta ST Line (finance payed off) and looking to upgrade to a Audi A5 S Line 2L Diesel. https://www.autoclass.ie/used-cars/13637216-audi-a5-s-line-tdi-ultra-52/

should I sell my car privately or trade the car in and finance the rest? The Audi I’m looking at is 2017. I’ve never traded in a car when buying a new one so don’t have a clue. On DoneDeal my fiesta is in the price range of €20k so would they take this into account and I finance the remaining €10k? Sorry I’m clueless with this type of stuff.

anyone who has done this please tell me your experiences and what’s the best option? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭User1998

If they offered €20k for your car there would be €11k remaining. If your car is on Donedeal for around €20k they will probably only offer €17k or so, so more like €14k remaining. But yes you can just finance the remaining amount whatever it turns out to be.

Selling a 2021 €20k car would probably take a while, especially coming up to Christmas, and the cars in that garage seem to sell very fast, if you want that exact car it would be sold by the time you sell your own car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A manual A5...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭User1998

There are actually way more manual A5’s of that generation compared to automatic. Manual wouldn’t be for me either but the market disagrees

I can understand opting for manual in the old model A5 with the horrible multitronic auto box but in the current model the DSG is so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Nice audi, although I wouldn't be interested in a manual myself but if you are that's fine. High mileage though and pricey, although what isn't these days.

3rd issue is trading a newer car for an older one you are going to take a hit on what you paid. Can't see this being financially good for you but if you're happy with cost to change (as other posters said it's likely to be closer to 14 than 11) then it's a very nice step up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭marty whelan

Is a car with 182k really worth 30 grand? I've a 2015 520d m sport with pretty much exact mileage that I'll be hoping to sell when leaving the country in few months, worried the mileage will decimate the price

Used car prices have gone mental since the beginning of the year due to new car shortages and Brexit killing cheaper imports. Also 182k km is around 88k miles which is not excessive for a diesel car now approaching 5 years old and that A5 looks to be a UK import, so would be normal enough for one.

I'd contact the Ford dealer you bought the Fiesta off of to see what they will offer to buy it from you for. With used and new cars in short supply and the Fiesta being fairly new I'd say they might have no problem selling it. Try and figure out how much they are selling for though so you have an idea of whether or not they are offering you decent money for it.

I wouldn't be trying to trade it in against that Audi though, it will just cost you too much. Also you would want to have a good reason for going from a 2021 car back to a 2017 that is still going to cost you a chunk of change to trade down. Granted your going from a small car to a bigger premium car but unless you are suddenly now doing big mileage it makes very little sense imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭marty whelan

I suppose I'm just old at 41 and always had it in my head that 100k miles (161k km) was pretty much end of life for a car. Mine is perfect and trouble free at 180k km, just a mental block I have

• Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭HBC08

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Unless money is of absolute no importance you are mad to buy that car from a 21. 31k for a car with 182km!!! Lunacy. You'd be as well buy something new if you can stretch the finances.

• Advertisement

Your right of course. I had 88k miles in my head from looking up the old UK reg on the MOT site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

Don’t get a manual Audi A5. I’d a manual A4 for two years about ten years ago and have a bad back since then from the poxy offset pedals.

Also any 4 cylinder diesel is far nicer with an auto.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

This. A lot of people seduced by Audi end up tormented by those offset peddles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yeah we had an A4 in the household for a few years. Solid reliable workhorse that genuinely felt like it was carved from granite but the offset pedals were a joke! The clutch was where my foot expected the brake to be! It made for fairly uncomfortable city / heavy traffic commuting, but a great motorway muncher where the clutch position is obviously less of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

I’m all for nice cars, and that’s a fine looking Audi. But from a financial point of view, what you are thinking of doing is madness. The Audi is high mileage, a less desirable manual, and is a UK import. I’d check how many former keepers it has, and who they were too, because a well-known car rental company registers a lot of their cars in Bristol, which is where that Audi was regd.

if you had the cash and just wanted to drive something more “upmarket”, then fair enough. The fact that you have to finance the cost to change means you are not in a position where the inevitably high running costs of a high mileage, 5 year old premium car don’t matter to you.

Just my opinion.

Post edited by spyderski on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Stick with the Fiesta.

Advertisement