Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Race Thread 2022 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Will Carapaz not be switched to the TdF now that Bernal is injured? Would be strange if he wasn't. Although maybe Carapaz sees the Giro as his best chance of a Grand Tour win this year which is true enough. I think the Giro has the least TT kms of the 3 this year so if you are weak there it's the one to go for or if you just couldn't be bothered trying to compete with the Slovenians which is as a good a reason as any these days. iirc Carapaz has a decent enough TT.

Decent enough to have become national champ in the TT as of yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I doubt the Ecuador TT championships was was much of a challenge in fairness

No, Carapaz was the only name I recognized in the results.

Speaking of the TT Remco was absolutely flying today in the Algarve.

Interesting to see how Sam will go tomorrow, he's the lads with him to lead him out in the team but the time off and new/old setup?

They are lucky Ewan isn't there, he looked amazing pulling for the team in France today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

He's been playing down expectations. Saying it's more about building form and bedding in with the new team. He's usually pretty honest so I'd tend to believe him

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The UAE/Saudi/Oman laps in the desert must be the most boring stages of the year

Had a quick look there 90 odd to go, time enough tuning in around 1pm I'd say.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Carlton going on about a tweet from the American president of his fan club. "Just declaring an interest". Pure Partridge.

11km to go in UAE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭griffin100

No sign of Bora anywhere near the front with less than 3km to go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Sam must be bet. Hanging off the back

Bora made a balls of this...

EDIT: Did well to get 2nd from a long way back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭griffin100

Van Poppell did a great job of bringing him up but Sam must of used a lot of energy to get through the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Surprised to see him up there at the end so not too bad at all for 1st race of the season for Sam.

I was sure he was gone

I thought Bora were not going to bother at first but jeysus Van Poppel covered crazy amount of ground with 1km to go

Ooh they won't like Groenwegen being pushed into the barriers. I'll take Cav being nowhere near :)

As Bora re finally coming up they have to go round someone who is bashing into everyone around him. White kit possibly Israel lead out

Thought that was Cav myself. Could be wrong though.

Na this guy was left of the road Cav was right. Also if it was Cav has arms would be all over the place at the finish so he could show that losing was someone else's fault.

• Advertisement

20km to go in UAE, it was going that slowly Philipson was able to jump off his bike when he noticed the camera on him and run with it and keep pace 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Thanks for the reminder - I forgot how nervous sprint finishes with Sam make me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Paddigol

WTF happened there??!!

Mechanical from the over head by the looks of it, he just sat up.

Swamped and boxed in by the sprinters coming from the right to block them completely. Bad enough for Sam to lose out but Cav wins. Sprinting needed that according to Carlton. Pass me the sick bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭seaviewphotos

Ackermann looked to have boxed him in, I was shouting for Philipsen when Sam gave up. 😁

Ganna beaten in a TT by Darth Bisseger.

Mullen seemed to be going well but tailed off in the second half. Dumoulin vs Pog & Almeida tomorrow by the looks of things...I forgot Almeida was at team UAE

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Great TT by Vlasov to get top 10 by the looks of it, he's not usually a strong TT'er if I remember correctly? Of course you wouldn't even know he was in the top 10 as commentators overly focused on Yates who was outside the top 10.

Probably anticipating a Yates v Pog for GC but Vlasov is probably Bora's best GC option overall. Interesting to see how he goes today. I would guess Almeida has to work for Pog unless things go wrong. Strange for both of them to be there. Must admit I do like Almeida. Great expressions when struggling through a climb. Would love to see Dumoulin pace past them all though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Yep very hard to see past Pog especially if he has Almeida working for him. I know what you mean about Almeida though, I loved watching him in the 2020 Giro! Would also love to see Big Tom glued to Pog's wheel and stay ahead of him in the GC. Probably unrealistic to hope he can drop pog lol.

Advertisement