Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At what age do you become an old fart, and is Boards an old fart home?

Options

Comments

This thread is becoming very snowflake

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

What is more embarrassing are the knights in shining armour riding in on their e-scooters

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

And this is exactly what I was talking about...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭Cordell

Yes, sort of. They were created by young people but the old farts that control the venture capitalist funds decided that they get to live. Any brilliant idea will die without the money needed to make it into a commercial product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

You don't "become" an old fart, it's not a point in time to be identified or a before / after status, rather a long slow slide to the acceptance of a gradually expanding framework of ideologies that is Old Fartdom. A journey to be enjoyed like any other. When you stop caring what other people think, that's a sure sign you are on the journey, but not an indicator of when the journey actually started.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Well I meant the dismissive attitude of "It doesn't happen because I don't notice/haven't experienced it and anyone who says otherwise must be a snowflake/white knight/SJW".

The misogyny, thankfully, is rarer, but becoming more widespread/overt.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to recommence shaking my fist at the sky/humanity in general...

I'm too old to me a misogynistic prick

I may have been, but having witnessed my wife Pass 3 of our 4 children through her, one beside me in the car, I have an acute respect for women and what they're capable of.

I'll cry during hard shite

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭Cordell

Oh but you do, you can easily narrow it down to before first piles and back problems and after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Back to the beginging.

I would never say in my day or young people of today

I have been out with friends of a similar age we have all hung around since childhood and the conversation got around to the mental health issues that seem to be everywhere we were just perplexed, or someone telling me about their child, and from what they were saying I thought the child was about 13 turn out they were 18, now I was thinking why aren't they getting up to all sorts their parents would not like, testing the bonders ( covid aside ).

Probably does make me old, but I don't have any issue with getting old.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yeah the mental health stuff is much more in play these days. Now much of it is certainly because it wasn't talked about nearly as much in the past, but some, even quite a bit of it imho is more or a meme or trend and labelling of more and more within the norm human behaviour as outside the norm and in need of fixing. On top of that I do think the "young people of today" are under more stress and pressures and from a younger age with it. They have a lot more things tugging at them than I certainly did as a kid and are much more aware of the adult world and from a younger age too. Social media alone is something previous generations didn't have to navigate.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I suspect the average boards user is over 30 but I only look at posts on current affairs , or after hours mostly , once you are over 40, you can no longer pretend to be cool, or a young man, woman, better to embrace it ,dont even try to keep with with new music ,trends ,fashion.when you watch the news everyday, the late late show, rte programs about politics, listen to only classic hits radio ,rte radio 1, you are no longer young. i think most tv producers are over 40 ,every hit tv show from the 90s is being remade as a movie or tv show reboot.

most of the big tech companys ,apple, google, facebook, were created by people in their early twentys.Its always been a trend, young people use any tech device ,they mess around and create new apps,when an app gets a million users it will receive more funding from VCs .bill gates started microsoft when he was in his twentys.If an app is bady designed or has not many content creators ,video,audio, photos young people won,t use it,

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tom_Crean

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Depends on diet. If you eat a lot of refried pinto beans, it can get old very fast for those around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,480 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Now you've put beans and rice in my head 😡 yum yum

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Reddit has turned to ****. I posted there years ago, in the Ireland subreddit and loved it because you could say anything and you'd be ok. Calling someone the R word will get you a ban for being ablest now.

And don't forget the cringiest thing ever when they shut down the sub overnight because they said the sub was being brigaded by alt right yanks yet no proof was given. Half the sub is yanks yet they have no problem with it when those yanks are supporting leftist views such as pro abortion etc.

Go have a look at their sub now and it's top post is a clearly mentally unwell anti vax person yet the whole sub has no pity but if it was a pro vax person who was made to look dumb with mental health issues it wouldn't be allowed.

It's rather funny that those who are supposed champions of diversity want everyone to be the same.

No. It was Jizzlord

*Facepalm*

Christ.

Sorry Overheal

Proof I'm becoming an old fart. Getting muddled

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

FFS man don't do that!! I was only reading his posts the other day :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

37 and a half. Boards is the Dutch oven of Irish man farts.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tom_Crean

What's that TFK (the free kick?) like? What age group etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The ancient Romans understood the value of old farts: that was the reasoning behind the Senate, the name derived from the Latin for “old”, which usually means wiser. The idea was to take advantage of the wisdom and experience of those old farts who weren’t interested in playing politics. (This is one area where I think Ireland does it better than the USA, since their Senate is 100% elected, making it just another political popularity contest.)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

So boards is the modern equivalent of the Roman senate ? I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thehairygrape

I’m not an old fart. I’m really cool. I’ve been on Pathé news twice!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

45 is the age when you admit that you have become and old fart.

Before that age you just think everyone else in an old fart and not you.

Id say I and most of my friends had a great life. No time at all for social media. Then came the pandemic and all we had since for the most part is social media. Very sad really. The sooner we are back to real life the better.

"The sooner we are back to real life the better"

Only an Old Fart would say that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I have been knocking around these here boards for nigh on twenty years ... probably before some of the younger whipper snapper posters here were born. At the time, it would have been cool and trend setting and I would have been considered an 'early adopter' of the modern tech. I had strong views and opinions then, and I still do now.

Just because I am still around and still contributing after that length of time, doesn't mean I should be considered 'an old fart'. Or is there a point where boards should just be handed over to the kids and the older posters should bail out?

If it wasn't for us 'old farts' sonny boy, boards wouldn't be here ☺️ Think of us as fountains of experience and wisdom, to be called upon for advice when needed. I am glad to be of service..

Advertisement