Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Shower ? Me Bollix !

Options
  • 14-12-2021 4:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

All Bleedin Day on the radio, Meteor shower tonight, Stood out the back for an hour, Clear Skies and can see the stars but nothing, Nada. Its now 3am, It can Fcuk Off now.

Going to bed. Load of Sh1te !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,069 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Where are you? Might have been light pollution.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

In Dublin but in a dark yard, All the stars are clear but nothing extra. 3 hours of sleep I'll never get back...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ever since I was a kid and they’d announce the possibility/probability of a meteor shower you stand out your back garden and be disappointed, you’d see nothing but twitching curtains and folks trying to catch the glimpse of the same...but nada.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I didnt hear anything about it.But I was out the front of the house last night at midnight and something caught the corner of my eye,looked up and sen nothing,so guessed I imagioned it.So now I know it was a meteor,thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Saw a few last night, in Dublin, despite the fog. Were you looking in the vicinity of Gemini? Look in between Orion and Ursa Major.

There’ll be some again tonight, just not as many as last night. Always rewarding looking up during one of the annual meteor showers, just have to know where to look.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Try this if you want an 'experience' and it does work.

go our on a very cold clear starey night before Christmas it works better in the countryside less light pollution.

Plugin earphones and listen to this while looking up.

Its has nothing to do with being religious either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I have always been disappointed with Meteor shower expectations. So much so, that I wouldn't bother now, unless the sky lit up bright enough to wake me from my slumber and Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck were sent up to deal with it.

I saw a great Perseid meteor shower once, I wasn’t expecting it, just happened to be lounging outdoors in mid August one year. There was about 1 every 30 seconds, or more, at peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,931 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I've given up on meteor showers. Every year twice a year (November/December for the Leonids and Geminids, July/August for the Perseids) they - backed up by enthusiastic quotes from Astronomy Ireland - hype them up with phrases like "light up the sky", "spectacular display" and "100 meteors an hour at its peak". Makes it sound like nature's own fireworks display. Like you just stand out in your back garden and watch this amazing light show go on above your head.

Me bollix!

Even putting the inevitable cloud aside, they are always nothing but a disappointment. I'm not adverse to spending hours out in the cold and dark looking up. I've an ok telescope (not that you's use one for meteors), and I've been known to dabble in astrophotography. I've no problem spending 3 or 4 hours taking multiple pictures of Andromeda or the Pleiades to stack. So going out at 3 in the morning and just looking up to see even a half decent meteor shower is no problem to me.

The problem is that it's never half decent. I spend most of the summer in a mobile home in a quite remote and dark part of the west of Ireland. Clear skies, great viewing, countless stars. Yet during the "peak" of the Perseids I can set my camera up for long exposure, wide angle shots - where every meteor that goes past, even the ones that you'd barely see out of the corner of your eye, should show up as a streak of light on the photo. At 100 an hour, you should get 6 or 7 in a 4 minute exposure. But no - you'd be lucky to get one. And that's using a camera much more sensitive than your eye - you'll barely see one an hour with your eye.

Astronomy Ireland should be classified as a terrorist organisation for making the good, inquisitive people of Ireland stand out in the cold under false pretenses, year after year. And I'm not usually one for claiming that the "MSM" are habitually lying to us, but this is a clear example of nefarious media manipulation of the population. Open your eyes, sheeple. You're never going to see the meteor light show. It's a con.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

Yeah I happened to waken around 3 so I thought i'd pop out and have a look for half an hour .... nada. This is suburban Craigavon so not ideal, but we've seen some before so its not impossible, it's just never as promised. Yet every time we think it's going to be mega.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

Ever since seeing Day Of The Triffds I keep inside with all the curtains closed if I hear of a meteor shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

It really kicked off at 4am. Spectacular display.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,277 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

You just missed it...

It was due to start at 3.15am ...

Unlucky

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Maybe you were star gazing at Uranus

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I've seen some decent ones down the country, away from light pollution. Not sure you'll see much in Dublin.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

They’ve gone really downhill since Eir took over.

I find Vodafone much easier to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Yeah.... that Meteor shower were an awful crowd to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

ah yes... "Say it with Flowers!" ...... send her a Triffid. saw the film as a child, and knew it was supposed to be terrifying, but I don't recall any heads being split open.

I've only seen one shooting star, and wasn't even looking for it, it flew West to East low in the sky as dusk approached (might have been summer) and I was just pulling up at some traffic lights and because I was looking sort of upwards at the nearest light, happened to spot the firework in the sky. By the time I got to say "oh, look at the shooting star" it was gone.

Then once saw and HEARD one (a meteor??) in the 60's or very early 70's I think it was. Sputtered and shot sparks out of it, as it headed north over Dublin, although I since believe it might even have been passing over Wales, but being so high it looked to be right over us. Of course to me at the time, I was pretty sure it was going to crash just beyond the airport. I was between 12 and 14 I think. It was around the time of "The Invaders" so we had a pretty good idea what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

People who go out to watch meteor "showers" are like victims of domestic abuse or ROI football supporters. They just keep going back for more punishment and disappointment. The only bloody astronomical phenomena I bother with are eclipses, super moons and maybe when certain planets are closest. Meteor showers can fcuk off.

Advertisement