Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

separate SSD just for windows and programs,

Options
  • 13-12-2021 11:56pm

If you want to have a separate disk just for windows and programs, how big an SSD would be needed.?

Am I right the programs need to be on the same disk as windows because of registry entries?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Me2U2

1TB SSDs seem to come out faster in most of the tests I've seen, even in the same make and model. You can get a 256GB that will do, but the lifespan will also be shorter in the long term. The larger the SSD the more the data read/write operations can be spread out. This reduces degradation of the SSD, which would otherwise lead to eventual corruption and failure.

You can uninstall programs and then re-install them on a separate SSD to be safer. I used to keep Windows on a 128GB SSD and all my programs on a separate 1TB D: drive, until I found out about the speed and reliability of using a 1TB C: drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

It depend.

Win10 alone ~ 20GB give or take, but don't forget when it comes to updates/ version release, so double it at least.

Then your programs and this is where it might differ a lot, depending on your intentions. Some games - 50-70GB for one

Course you can start with 120GB or 250GB and by the time you find yourself short on space you just get bigger drive and clone everything from old. Its just a tiny bit of hassle cloning and .... what will you do with that small disk thereafter - bit of waste, unless use it in enclosure as your USB drive. You will need enclosure for cloning anyway , ~30 for decent one.

Advertisement