Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burglaries/muggings in Dublin

Options
  • 13-12-2021 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Why is it so common? A friend of mine in his 20s who lives in Stillorgan with his parents almost got burgled. The neighbour two doors from them got broken into while they were on vacation and they came the week after to their house but went off after they realized he was there.

Ireland seems unique in the sense that even well off areas are not safe from scumbags. Know a few women as well who have had their handbags and phones snatched while walking. One in Foxrock, the other in town.

Having lived in the U.S and UK this sort of thing doesn't seem to happen often. The police crack down hard on it. You'd never hear of someone walking near Westminster or Manhattan scared of having their phone snatched.

Comments

I would have assumed that more affluent areas would be prime targets for thieves as they would have the most valuable items to steal.

Also you are completely incorrect about Manhattan or Westminster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

They never have had airplanes crashed into buildings in Stillorgan though OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I think I’ve read something in the news about people having their homes burgled but they live in places outside Dublin!!!

Incredible!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Not Westminister but I've seen someone get jumped for their phone in leafy Notting Hill, never seen it here in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

You know there are international statistics to compare with other countries. If you did that you would see Ireland and Dublin are way down the list compared to other countries and cities. I have lived in Dublin most of my life and never had my house broken into. I Have been attack on the street a few times but mugged in London and Rome having been there less time. Dublin is actually very safe

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Muggings and all sorts of street crime are very common in London. They'll go at your motorcycle lock with an angle grinder in broad daylight, they have watch muggers who know expensive brands and specifically target you if you're wearing an AP or something nice. They also have moped riding thieves who snatch phones out of your hand without stopping. Home invasions happen frequently in America and they're often a hell of a lot more brutal than any burglary you'd hear about here. Everything you said is wrong kid!

Ridiculous. Happens absolutely everywhere.

Of course well of areas everywhere in the world are victim to crime.

Why burgle a house with feck all in it, when you know the rich areas have lots of stuff? You don't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Eh, I live in a nice smallish quiet UK town (pop 30k) surrounded by rural landscape on all sides. Maybe it's just the rise of local social media channels but I've never heard of more burglaries and car thefts in my life and I'm born and bred on the supposedly rough streets of Dublin 12. No police crack down, the Tories closed the local station just before we moved here apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Yeah, but it's all Dub blackguards doing the all burglaries all the time. They built the motorway network specifically to raid rural Ireland, like Jackeen West Brit Vikings:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭brick tamland

This is has always gone on and always will. You just hear way more about it now due to Whattsapp group and facebook pages ect.

Where previously you had no idea that a house 4 roads over was broken into, you hear all about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Well off areas are a favourite of criminals. They always have been.

Affluent areas of Paris are a hotspot for muggings. Same for S. East England.

https://news.in-24.com/news/111366.html

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jul/29/warning-spate-luxury-watch-thefts-women-southern-england

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

In the league of city's new York London Paris dublin has a low serious s crime rate also in American city's the criminals have guns my experience is in dublin you need to have an alarm system to keep your house secure from burglars I think we hear about anything that happens now on social media so people may think crime is worse now than it was years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

OP it’s because Ireland pays scum to be scum, pays scum to have more scummy kids, give scum houses for next to nothing in prime locations and if scum gets caught being scum we’ve a system that tells the scum that they’re the victim.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Is Barcelona not the pickpocket capital of the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

In the last two years, 3 Arsenal players have been mugged on the streets in two separate incidents in London. Plenty of footballers have been burgled, some were even attacked and tied up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,856 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Truth, where I am any and every break in, attempted break in, suspicions behaviors, strange this or that gets a mention of on the WhatsApp...

there are far more break ins than you’d expect.

its common because the law / courts are little to no deterrent.

the perpetrators are painted as victims.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

OP was living an extremely sheltered life in the US & UK if they believe burglaries and thefts didn't happen there.

Advertisement