Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think Slut is a bad word?

Options
  • 12-12-2021 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,665 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

If someone called you a slut would you be offended or happy?

I have no problem with it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

As with most things, it would depend on who said it and how it was said.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Only when she spits in my mouth while pegging me, anything outside of that and I get offended

Slut has negative connotations. It's 2021, I would prefer to use the term promiscuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It says more about the person saying it than the person it is aimed at in todays world. But, for me, it still has negative connotations. I wouldn't be happy if it was aimed at someone I cared about, while at the same time I wouldn't judge them for their sexual habits.

So, hypothetically, if they were gangbanged by 20 homies and it was posted on a mainstream internet website, it wouldn't change your view of them one bit? Or are you saying, perhaps, what may have been regarded as promiscuous behaviour in the past, but has become relatively normal in today's society, would not impact on your view? It is a pretty broad spectrum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

not really

I prefer being called a hussy if you don't mind! 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Its a name overwhelmingly used against women, i can't think of too many women who would like the word so its a bad word yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

of course its a bad word. pritty pointless having an insult that was a good word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's a loaded word full of judgement so no I don't like it and dont think anyone should be judged on their sexual activity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Not as good as stud.

It must be.. no positive connotations to the word..

Take cúnt, for example; somebody could be referred to as 'a cool cúnt' , which is respectful, positive, and friendly..

can't say the same for 'slut' though.. not much hope for that word to ever be used, or meant to be received in a positive fashion - otherwise those who complain about 'slut-shaming' would have reappropriated its meaning by taking ownership of said word, so as to diminish it's negative implications.. Could still happen - Lady Gaga would be favourite to lay the first stone in that endeavour, with Billie Eilish, perhaps, second in the betting 😊

Wasn't there a campaign to reclaim the word slut, with slut walks?

However, I've read this thread out of a 'How stupid can a thread be type of curiosity'. What next, do you think the word Nazi has bad connotations?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

There are quite a few women who like being called like this during some activities, so it can’t be bad.

Nazis have feelings too you know. Time to reclaim the word for the nazis with hearts of gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Old fashioned maybe?

has connotations of teenage boys or middle-aged men boasting about how many women they sleep with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I remember seeing a woman roar "Come back here you fúcking little slut!" to a kid who looked about 4 - that I assume was her daughter - on the street in Ennis years ago. That wasn't very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

As has been pointed out, it's a sexist term that is loaded with judgement and has no positive connotations. There's isn't an equally judgemental or negative word for promiscuous men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Eh?

What else do you call man who sleeps with anything that is breathing?

I've rarely if ever heard a man called a slut, it's a term reserved largely for women. Promiscuous men are judged far less harshly by society than promiscuous females, men are players or studs whereas women are sluts ore whores.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

The definition of slut is actually kind of different to how the word is used to describe a woman. The male version of slut is sloven which means unclean, lazy, etc. Slovenly behaviour describes a man who doesn't wash, lies about, generally a slob. So technically a female version would be a slut or slattern.

Anyway I would never call a woman a slut if she was sexually promiscuous. Good for her, I say. But I would describe a woman as slutty if she dressed provocatively...which I happen to like. It would be more of a cheeky comment with a hint of admiration.

That's either the traditional sense of the word... or those you hang out with.

Within my circle of friends, slut is used for both men and women. There's no belief that it's okay for men, and not okay for women.

oh, and plenty of women manage to get away with being players, they simply downplay/manage their activities better than men. And TBH most of the times I've heard slut being used (outside my circle of friends) it's been women calling another woman a slut.

There is a matter of convenience to assume that these kind of terms are mostly used by men about women, probably due to traditional stereotypes...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

LEEEEEGEND...

Nah seriously - I'd hear slut used for everyone, not a word I use much myself. As others said depends on context (traditionally of course it was a judgmental term toward women and still invokes that for a lot of people).

Post edited by km991148 on

I think your choice of language is interesting and I'm not saying it's deliberate or conscious on your part but women "get away with being players" as if it's a crime and they're sneaking under the radar and in order to do so they have to downplay or manage it. The only reason I can think of for a woman to do so is for fear of judgement. I don't think men face as much judgement when it comes to their sexual activities, I'm talking about societal judgement, not just judgement from men. Look at the history of this country alone, there were no men in the Magdalene laundries.

Perhaps the word is not as sexist as I believe (certainly other posters would support you there) but whether it's aimed at men or women, I still don't think it's particularly nice word but as mentioned above context is everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I remember my mother's elderly Aunt was getting on a bit and the family were trying to persuade her to take on some help in the house and with personal care and so on.

I distinctly remember witnessing her response one time being "Oh don't you all worry about me, I'm no slut!!"

haha... you alert me to my use of language while ignoring your own. I used "get away with", because of the previous tone used when talking about players was negative.. anyway the general perception is that being a player involves trickery/manipulation, rather than simply sleeping around like that with Slut, which is more related to the physical. I suspect with Slut there's more jealousy involved, because it's far easier for women to get sex (if they want it) than it is for most men.

As for societal judgment, I suspect women experience more judgment from other women than from men, except when it relates to authority figures like a father or the parish priest. You're doing a disservice to the Magdalene laundries by linking it to this discussion.. there was more going on there than that. In any case, Irish society has moved far away from that kind of environment, and trying to link modern Irish society with what went on in the past (as if nothing has changed for women) is rather dishonest.

Context is indeed important. I don't particularly like the word "slut" myself, but then I don't particularly like the behavior associated with it either, regardless of whether it's connected with a man or a woman.

On judgement, people judge themselves far more than they are judged by society.

Women can be judgemental of other women, its is either a form of social positioning or a self-esteem issue more seriously it might be some form of emotionally unstable personality disorder making them intensity jealous of another woman.

With men, it's immaturity no matter what age the man saying it is, can also be a slight fear of women as well.

• Advertisement

The only time I have heard a woman say it about another woman was to do with the promotion they didn't get the promotion and said the woman who got the promotion only got it became she sleep around with a few men in work, including the chairman of the interviewing board.

Apparently, the latest thing with teenage girls is if they do it, whatever it is, they risk being called a slut but if they are not doing it they are called stuck up and it's a judgment by both sexes of their peers.

Advertisement