Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor Tax stole a week from me....

Options
  • 12-12-2021 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

My car tax was due on 18.12 so I went online and payed the fee to renew it for the full year,

I got the disc yesterday and it is valid from 09.12... WTF?

I have lost a week of motor tax??

I am also "Double taxed for 9 days??"

How is this?

Comments

Presumably it was renewed from that date and therefore expires on the 9th.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Motor tax is monthly, no? 01, 02, 03 etc.

The exact date doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

Nope, it is daily.. valid now from 09.12.21 to 09.12.2022...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

Motor tax is monthly.

There is no paying for part of a month.

It is always due from 01st of a month and expires on the last day of a month.

OP, you haven’t been done out of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭delboythedub

I was unable to tax my car on line last week with motor tax online which i have done for many years. I get to stage 6 Pay now and swipe the acknowledgement on bank mobile App and then motortax.ie say i have bank problems. Phoned tax office and told to download RF100 form and post it in. anyone else have same problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭delboythedub

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭stopthevoting

You were mistaken in thinking that it was due from 18.12, and mistaken in thinking that it is valid now from 09.12.21 to 09.12.2022.

There is a month and year printed in a very large font on the top part of the tax disc. The tax is paid up to the last day of that month.

There is a date printed beside the make of car in the lower part of the tax disc. That is the date that the tax disc was issued, ie the date that the transaction was processed. This could be any date of the month, depending on whether you pay early or late or on the exact date.

In this picture the tax is paid up until the last day of November 2022.

It was paid ON the 2nd of December 2021 but it was DUE from 1st December 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

@Stopthevoting Well explained, cheers.

It does seem a bit jarring though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Drive your car in reverse at speed past a couple of speed vans and cameras , that'll sort everything for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I really don't understand in this day and age why our windscreens are clogged up with up to three ridiculous sized paper discs for Tax, Insurance and NCT.

Number plates can be scanned by Gardai in their cars to see if tax has been paid. They should add insurance and NCT to that therefore take out whole lot of admin and get rid of discs and save a few trees in the process.

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I agree somewhat, however being in a crash 2 years ago (am all good) when the guards arrived they checked that everyone was ok and then said they wanted nothing to do with the crash and to sort it out between "ourselves". The culprit was being arse-y not admitting blame (he rear-ended me), If I hadn't taken a photo of his insurance disc and reported the crash to mine/his insurance I would have been out of pocket to the tune of €5k. Seems like a small inconvenience to me to not have me out of pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

You could report the accident to your insurance with just the other driver's reg number in the exact same way, and they'd instantly be able to identify the other person's insurer. Anyway the insurance disk is only one of the three. Other than when buying a car, most people don't need to know someone else's NCT or motor tax status. So even if we kept the insurance disk and dropped the other two (you'd still have the certs to show when selling the car), it would be a 2/3 improvement.

I guess the assumption would be that when removing the 3 disks from the window, there would be some alternative way of getting all this information. If for privacy reasons they didn't want to implement a reg number lookup for the general public to access, an alternative could be a simple QR code that you display on the windscreen or reg plate that you could then scan on your phone and would lead you to an online service that displays all the details. No different from accessing the information that's publicly displayed on vehicles currently. The QR code could even be assigned to the particular car for life, and the ownership and compliance data just updated centrally, so no need to issue the code yearly. Many other countries don't have disks on the widows. The UK started phasing out the tax disk in 2014, but they never had a requirement to display Insurance or MOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Agreed. The Brits did away with having to display discs. One of the few things we should follow them on.

But if the system was changed to being linked to the reg plate of the car then you wouldn't need the disc photo in the first place. Just no need for them. People manage this just fine in other countries.

Also, no need to call Gardai for minor road accidents either, never understand why people do that, block roads as well as if it's a major crime scene that needs preserving for forensic examination.

Just move to the side, exchange details and sort things out. If one acts the maggot then get reg plate photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Yup fair point, I guess in my shock I just went straight to photographing the disc, the Gard's arrived because 999 was called as it was a 3-way sandwich and the driver in front was injured, anyways I'm digressing entirely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,673 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The reason we didn't is because of the poor outcome seen in the UK, at least in the first few years after the change.

As you may be aware, the abolition of the motor tax disc took effect in the U.K. from 1 October 2014. In that jurisdiction, a vehicle excise duty evasion survey is carried out on a bi-annual basis. The results of the survey carried out in 2015, the first following the abolition of the disc, found that the rate of unlicensed vehicles observed on the road was much higher than had been observed in the previous survey in 2013, prior to the abolition of the disc. The survey concluded that the increase was probably due to the changes in the vehicle licensing system which took effect from October 2014, which included the abolition of the disc. The 2017 survey, published on 16 November 2017, found that the rate of unlicensed vehicles observed on the road had increased since the 2015 survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

That has been an absolute disaster over there since they've done it compliance gone way down etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Having the discs on the window make progress at Garda checkpoints quicker, quick glance and a wave rather than sitting waiting with questionable WiFi on a computer result

• Registered Users Posts: 5,899 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

It may have dropped their tax take but it's the obvious way to go. Everything automated and linked. I've only seen one checkpoint in my life here (10+ years), with the ANPR system, you just get a fine sent straight to your door. Tolls, congestion charges, everything - direct to your door! The future is here, and it's bloody expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭billyhead

Sure there's a load of cars on the roads that are untaxed anyway and hardly ever a Garda to be seen.

I don't see why? Car is registered to an owner and address. The registration records if taxed or not and you prosecute/fine people who don't pay.

It's very simple.

Lived in Netherlands, car tax paid online linked to registration. I don't see how a disc offers anything that an accessible database doesn't . We don't have to copy stuff that the UK does or think their failures would be failures here.

September 2020 in a Dail question/answer, the number of Garda cars fitted with ANPR was given as 76. So I don't think we have reached the point or anywhere near it to dispense with the discs. And simply failing to display a current disc is in itself an offence, separate from not paying.

I am informed by the Garda authorities that as at the 28 September 2020, there are 76 vehicles equipped with in car video/ANPR capability. 74 of these are attached to frontline Roads Policing Units and 2 are used for test purposes. Overall these vehicles make up approximately 24% of the Roads Policing Fleet.

Strange how people only see problems and not solutions. If they change the system then they will have to buy more equipment costs probably be offset by admin savings with paper discs.It's not just about Garda cars having ANPR but access to a database.

The point is to shift away from the gardai looking for people who do not pay their motor tax which is a complete waste of Garda time in my opinion but let the department prosecute non payers.

So with your car registration it is recorded if taxed, insured and NCT (if required) if not then you are pursued. This is how it works in other countries, where you never see police checkpoints checking for motor tax. Checkpoints focus on more important things like drink driving, seatbelts, car safety etc,.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I really don't understand in this day and age why our windscreens are clogged up with up to three ridiculous sized paper discs for Tax, Insurance and NCT.

That is what you posted, and to me it is you who is making a problem which does not need a solution. Your solution would need to be cost benefit analysed, and you are just making a guess about that. Even if it becomes the solution, it won't stop some people breaking the law.

I don't pay much attention to people who claim to know a lot about what happens in other countries. Even if they lived abroad, I don't see any reason for them having much more than a passing knowledge of motor taxation anywhere else. Same as I have for Ireland. Unless they worked in motor tax administration, or road policing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭abff

While the OP was incorrect in his assertion that he had been double charged for a few days, the overlap issue definitely arises in relation to driving licences. I got a reminder yesterday that my licence is due to expire next month and it stated that a new licence would be valid from the date of application and that any time left on my old one will not be applied to my new driving licence.

By adopting this approach, they are effectively forcing you to have an overlap, as you would need to allow time for the licence to be issued. I’m pretty sure the same issue arises if you get a new passport. I know the amounts involved are relatively small, but it’s annoying!

Does anyone know how long it takes to get a new licence? I’m hoping to travel abroad in January (COVID restrictions permitting) and will be hiring a car, so I can’t afford to be without a current licence.

You would be better to research that yourself, as you could get wrong answers here. This website is a good place to start.

https://www.ndls.ie/licensed-driver/renew-my-driving-licence.html

Until such a time as people need to register their car in person, with identification and proof of address, any database is pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭abff

Thanks. I was hoping to hear from someone with recent experience as I find that timelines set out in government websites are not always 100% accurate.

Advertisement