Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do we let horses take giant $hits on our streets?

Options
  • 12-12-2021 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

I was walking around Dublin during the week. In the suburbs I saw signs everywhere saying there are fines if you don't clean up your dog's excrement.

Then I walked into the city centre where I saw scores of horses walking around covered in Christmas lights, and leaving foul heaps of giant equine turd everywhere. The smell was overpowering.

Why the double-standards and why do we discriminate against our canine friends?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

I don't believe horses are allowed to dirty the streets, As far as i know it's just not enforced.

Horse dung while unsightly isn't of any significant danger to human health, The same cannot be said for dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

The horses won’t fit into the few public toilets we have.

it’s a bit more work to clean up after a horse than it is a dog, in all fairness.

for example a horse doesn’t usually leave a mess you could clean with a Jiffy bag.. it’s also not generally advised to stand behind a horse and I don’t think it’s any better of an idea to tie them up a few meters away while you clean it up.

Long story short the horses are in charge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'the smell was overpowering' - really? horse **** doesn't actually smell that strongly usually.

i say this as someone who shared a car earlier with his wife, who a horse had shat on about an hour earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

The honest answer is because 1. horse poo doesn't pose health risks, and dog poo does and 2. it's entirely impractical to lift it every time. Even in the bygone era of horses being the primary mode of transport, people were hired to scrape the streets because it would be unreasonably impractical for the people with the horses to do it every time.

It used to be a case that if someone found horse manure on the road, they'd run out and get it for their garden. There genuinely used to be squabbles over it, and people would constantly be over at yards to raid the muck heap. Now, people complain about it, then go out and spend a fortune on compost and fertiliser for their plants instead. I couldn't believe how much a bag of manure sells for in a garden shop! It baffles the mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Why were horses covered in Xmas lights, is this a "tradition?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Depends on what by laws local councils have in place.

Main Thorofare are exempt.

Housing estates the owner would have to clean it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Down in Killarney, it is compulsory for the jarveys to fit their horses with nappies - or 'equine dung catchers' - and it works to keep the streets clean. Dublin City Council could look to introduce similar here?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,932 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It’s a little known fact, but a Garda Horse has to let any other horse hide behind their coat for privacy if they want to take a dump in public.

• Advertisement

A superb thread title 👏 👌 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 20,672 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Dublin City by laws have a section about horse manure. Anyone breaking any of these laws can face a fine of up to €1,500 and six months in jail. Report them.

https://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/media/file-uploads/2018-08/Control_of_Horses_Bye_Laws_2014.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

That's shìte statement.

On the thread like this one, we should have a poll to see what shìte is the worse one.

Thank fook people don't shìt on the streets anymore (well yeah I know shìt happens), that would be some stinky disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Back in de day every street was covered in horse **** and everything was grand. Now 1 horse **** on 1 street 1 day of the year and someone is making a problem out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

That is the modern way of life, distance yourself from the supply chain as much as possible and have everything brought to your door in neat plastic packages

• Registered Users Posts: 19,117 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Jaysus. I knew that people paid a lot to watch weird stuff on that onlyfans yoke but that takes the biscuit.

Although, if she is happy doing it and is making a few quid on it, sure fair play to her. 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Should this not be in the "Why is Dublin such a shítty city?" thread. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Genuinely curious but isn't that to do with keeping horses within the city, and removing manure from where they're kept? It seems to be in a section where everything else is regarding equine husbandry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

When I was in Krakow a few years back there were horse and carriages which would take tourists around the city centre. Each horse had a leather poop collection bag attached at the back to stop the horses from soiling the road. Maybe the same should be mandatory here for horses ..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

In Canada we have a solution -- you just confine the horse**** to the political realm.

Nobody cleans it up there either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Nah, DCC would be up in arms about how this is killing Dublin's traditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Good question OP, and while we're at it why do we just keep letting these 800lb gorillas sit anywhere they want?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Why not, sure the stairs would kill him!

Advertisement