Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I need a family law barrister?

• 12-12-2021 1:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

So after 10 years apart we are finally moving on our divorce. Amicable.

Ex moved overseas so has handed his affairs over to a questionable solicitor. An agreement was made re assets in 2017, as part of that a property was sold so I had to engage a solicitor for that. Same solicitor was willing to handle divorce for me but we parked things for a while.

It's picked up now as my ex has some urgency in wanting a divorce so I contacted the solicitor who wants several thousand of a retainer and says I need to hire a family law barrister. This is all money I don't have. I really don't see why I need a solicitor in the first place, not to mind a barrister. So many people manage the divorce themselves. That's what I wanted to do in the first place. There are no kids and one remaining property so it should be relatively straightforward.

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭dubal

You could probably do it all yourself, though it would need your ex to agree and his solicitor would then get no money... so he wont be in favour.

You could save a lot of money doing it yourself. Just use one of the self help divorce companies

Dubal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Thanks. He went other because he doesn't feel he can do his part from abroad.

Whatever about a solicitor I don't understand why I'd need a barrister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭dubal

If you can agree everything and you the paperwork you don't need either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Sorry typo in my last reply. He's insisting on using a solicitor as he's overseas. I don't want to/can't afford to. And then when the solicitor I spoke to said I'll need a barrister it's all very confusing and stressful, especially in the run up to Christmas.

• You could contact free legal aid if you can’t afford a solicitor? It won’t be free but dramatically more affordable in your case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭feelings

If he's insisting, perhaps ask him to cover the costs? All he can do is say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 PhatBoyDim

Hi, you could probably do it yourself, or there are people who run through the process with you. I used diylawyer.ie myself about 7 years ago but he seems to have dissolved the company a couple of years ago. For us, it was an "amicable" divorce, no children or property and neither party looking for anything from the other. The service cost just over €500 at the time. He provided all the forms for me and my ex. Showed me where to sign, what details to fill in, finance, etc and told me what to send where etc and provided similar docs for my ex with envelopes already addressed and stamped etc. Was a straightforward process.

On the day, turned up at the courts which started off with a kind of roll call. I was surrounded by solicitors / barristers who I am sure were on the clock representing clients, and just had answer they were present. Later in the day was finally called in. Was the judge, a couple of other legal people, my ex and me. It was just then a formality. I had to state before the judge when we had separated, we met the criteria of enough years apart etc and there were irreconcilable differences. He then just declared the divorce and that was it.

I think it's different if either side is fighting for something. Not sure what happens when it comes to property. Might be worth searching for one the diy lawyer services online.

Advertisement