Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Dummies.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭MacDanger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭DC999

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo101

I had what Mr.Q but didn't end up using it, in the end I was luck enough to be able to position the panels so they where close to the metal ridge cap and ran them in under that.

I'll see if it's possible to run the cables out at the top ridge so the ridge cap will provide fairly good water proofing

Or maybe don't go through the roof if there is another route. Would the top of the wall just below the roof be an option? Much easier to seal if you could find a route. Just a thought

• Advertisement

We're in the middle of construction at the moment so that should be an option I'd say - I'll discuss further with the builder and see, just wanted some opinions on here first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Can you not just run the cables back in through the gap in one of the roof hooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Folded

According to the contract, I have 10 x 405w panels installed, but on the app I saw 4.3kW generated a few times today. Can panels usually generate a bit more than advertised? Or should I assume I got bigger panels installed on the day? (I know it's to my benefit, I'm just curious! Hopefully the obsession with tracking numbers will stop after a couple more weeks...)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yes they can produce more than they are rated for. The specs are based on 25C ambient temp, PV panels produce more, the colder it is and the good thing in Ireland is that 99.9% off the time it's colder than 25C 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Just to expand a little on what unkel mentions, you'll often notice it when the sun come out from behind the clouds. With the sun shaded (behind the clouds) the panels get to cool down for a bit, and then when the sun comes out it's beating down on a cool panel. This is often where you see the big spike upwards, then after 5-10 minutes in the sunshine the panels warm up and your production "drops" a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Folded

That is really cool to know, thank you for the explanations!! Seems I don't have to yell at the clouds quite so often, after all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo101

Is there a way to change the settings on a Solis inverter? Eg. Soliscload app?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dev1234

Apologies if this is in the wrong thread but should I be able to see the documents that my installer has uploaded to the SEAI portal to claim the grant on my behalf?

It's currently showing zero documents uploaded for the various sub-sections when I log in to portal. The installer said they would get it done by today so I wanted to give them until tomorrow before I make contact.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

Anyone watched this myengery libii install video from artisan electrics ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eprgq3lrgwg&ab_channel=ArtisanElectrics

Apart from the absolute **** looking install (will that trunking rust ?) they install DC surge protection on the strings.

Is that a requirement here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭JayBee66

Yes, you should see the documents, both written and photographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭con747

You need to get on to Solis customer support euservice@solisinverters.com to activate remote settings and also need the new Generation 3 type data logger.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

It's galvanized, highly resistant to rust (I won't say it's impossible.)

No reg requirement here to install DC surge on the strings.

Edit,

Also they didn't have to add a second DC isolator, they could have used a 4 pole one, that can handle 2 strings(like most installs here)

It is a 4 pole one! ...

Post edited by graememk on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Does anyone know the max size of a solar panel set up on a domestic build single phase with NC6

I was told by an installer it’s 22 panels but when I asked what size panels they didn’t have an answer just 22

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

25 amps output from the inverter. Works out about 5.7kw.

Mostly now it's a 5kw inverter.

Oversizing it is about 22, but depends on the voltage of the panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

The answer is variable and depends on a number of factors, a non-exhaustive list of limtations is as follows.

• Inverters have a max voltage (usually around 600VDC but completely depends on the make/model of the panel). With panels being about 40-45v each, you can get about 12 panels on each string and remain under 600V, with a little margin of safety. Hence your limit here would be about 24
    • Inverters have a max current allowed. Again this varies on the inverter and the panels in play.
    • Inverters also have a max power limit. Nowadays in Ireland the max allowable inverter size is 5Kw. Usually you can go 50% (or thereabouts) over the inverter size without impacting the inverter. Again, 100% depends on the inverter, some can only do 33% while others can go more than 50%.

So your installer is generally on the money with 22 panels, it's not a hard/fast number. Some could do 24, some 26 (at a push).....but 26 would be very much the upper bound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭testtech05

Hey guys, we are working on a new build at the moment and are having panels installed (not sure on battery yet or not).

We are in the process of applying for a ESB connection and are wondering if the choice between a standard 24Hr meter and a time of use meter will effect our ability to get paid for any excess export to the grid?

At the minute I was leaning towards a standard 24hr setup at least until we get a better idea of our usage in the house. We dont have an EV or anything atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

What’s your heating source? If it’s a hp I’m not sure a 24hour meter would be best .

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭testtech05

A smart meter will get your a FIT payment on excess solar, provided your installer provides an NC6 to ESBN. It's from the date ESBN receive it, not when install happens. You don't need to be on a smart tariff. Someone here said if you get a smart tariff you can never go back to a 24hr one - I don't know if that's true. If it is, go on a 24hr tariff on a smart meter and learn your usage as you say. The smart tariffs work for those with EVs (as they can move that to night time) or those with batteries. Basically you want to minimise the expensive peak rate and use the majority from cheap night rate.

A 24hr will not give you FIT. CRU confirmed that to me in writing.

I'd suggest ignore the battery for now and get more panels instead on Day1. Then your 'engine' always produces more. Many here suggest more panels first, then battery if there is budget. Hard to justify with FIT being ~20c now. It's a point of debate between people though. I don't have a battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

True. D/n meters deffo suit some if you have an EV or battery and can load shift to night. And also get deemed export for now. Even if don't export at all. Crunch the numbers in excel and will see if it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Old Jim

What do I need to do for a Zappi to integrate to Solar PV? Do I need a CT clamp on the AC output of the inverter (no battery) connected directly to the Zappi? I then configure this as solar and it will show up in the myenergie app. The zappi currently has a CT clamp on the main grid connection. Is a CT clamp on the inverter just to see what the house is consuming versus what the PV is producing or is there any functional benefit of adding a CT to the inverter?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yep, all correct. And if you don't want to run a cable (for the CT) from the PV inverter to the zappi, you could use a harvi instead (wireless CT clamp solution from myenergi that is not expensive and works very well)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Interesting. My install hasn't happened yet, but I have a Harvi (sub board from main meter for EV Zappi install).

Does anything need to be done when PV inverter (Growatt + batteries) being installed for this information to appear in MyEnergi? Or is it enough as it is - - I understand that probably the MyEnergi will see Battery and PV as one rather than breaking it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭micks_address

Had another trip today. Was actually away all day but I can see I started importing electricity on the my energi app at 3pm. Got home around 630. Will let the installer know tomorrow..they calling any way at some stage to figure out if they actually installed 350 watt or 370 watt panels on the roof. Would there be any chance the EPs circuit could be causing the inverter to trip? There's a breaker between it and the inverter and it's not tripping, just the one on the circuit board. Weather today was windy..seems like lots of flower pots turned upside down

Advertisement