Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Dummies.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

Well I have a 10kwh battery so not necessarily I can use it as a top up run it down a bit then once it’s run for a hour or so allow the battery to recharge was my plan.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

Yep have found two already edging toward the time guard version as it’s a brand that Seems to be available from heat merchants here already even though it’s 16amp it should handle the load. The 20amp doesn’t have as much of a history behind it.

I was really just wondering if anyone else had done it already and what their experience was. 70 euro as opposed to €500 for an Eddie which will eventually become redundant for me.

On another note I did some energy provider comparisons today. Makes for scary viewing for those of us on energia ev plans.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I think I have this

In the summer I have it triggering at noon.

On the electric plans... Yep flogas seems the best for me at the moment

Yep that was the other one I was looking at. Take it you fitted it yourself without much hassle?

This is the one I was edging toward purely based on reviews and availability from various retailers

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07228W28L/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=AUZ0UI5B0E1XK&psc=1

Power in, power out, no issues.

Don't even have to worry about import, battery will cover it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 twitcherdub

Hi, I hope this is the right forum to post a question or two..I was looking to maximise the energy generated by a solar panel installation. I see that some of the newer panels seem to support up to 600/650 watts, but I understand there may be a bottle-neck because an inverter can't handle panels with such high wattage with a battery install. I also notice that most installers are only offering panels around the 400w mark.

Second question, due to lack of roof space, I'm looking to build a south-facing pergola in the garden and put the panels on that on a 30 degree pitch. I'm hoping to get 8 panels on a 3.2 x 4.5 meter area. Any issues with that from a planning point of view?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭footfall789

Hi ,

Installed Solar Panel with a Solaris control box. I am currently seeing that even though the Solar panels are generating enough Power to cover the usage in the house the batteries are being used and also power is being sent to the Grid.

E.g 4Kw are being generated by the Solar Panels, 2.5 Kw are being used by the House and 1.75Kw are being sent to the GRID . So .25Kw are being drained from the Batteries(95%) that are either used by the House or Sent to the GRID. I would have thought that no Power should be sent to the Grid if the Batteries were being drained. I dont have a problem with this in the Morning i.e if enough Power is being generated by the Solar Panels the Batteries are being topped up and only when they reach 100% is any excess from the Solar Panels being sent to the GRID.

Also wondering if I need a Warranty for the Solar Panels. Installer said I dont as the Solar Panels rarely break as they have no moving parts .If they do and they need to be replaced the Supplier would just replace them, even 5 to 10 years after installation.. Do i smell Bu*****t or is this in fact true.

Regards , footfall789

The only real difference between 650 w and 400w are physical size not efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭glen123

Apologies if this has already been asked.

I've 4.5kWp system with Solis single phase inverter and Eddi. I am thinking of adding a battery, so will obviously need to replace current inverter with the hybrid one.

What would be the cheapest/easy to set up hybrid inverter and a battery for it that would be straight forward to connect (not self built option). Am I better off getting Solid hybrid as it would be easy to swap existing with it?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

forum consensus on the economics of PV domestic batteries are they aren't economic, esp. now with current CEG feed-in rates (but there's always the charge up on night rate benefit..).. so first question to clarify is, are you on a smart tariff and getting metered CEG payments?

also, common believe that off-shelf batteries (e.g. Pylontech) will never pay for themselves within their warranty lifetime. then again, people are motivated by considerations more than pure ROI... but just to be aware and to go in this battery lark with your economic eyes wide open.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭glen123

I am on the Day/Night meter and getting deemed export payments.

I have around 3k to invest into this without any regrets if it doesn’t pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

ok then, check the buy & sell thread, believe there's a solis hybrid on offer there, and there's a couple of 2.4 Pylontech batteries floating around as well (donedeal, adverts.ie). any competent electrician should be able to install them. but don't limit your thinking to Solis, lots of other hybrid brands, some here rave about Sunsynk

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

are tier 1 panel suppliers all they are cracked up to be? is there much of a difference between them and another supplier who is not?

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Mr Q

No, the tier 1 does not refer to the quality of the panel in any way. It relates to the financials of the company.

Panasonic would be an example of a good quality panel that is not listed as Bloomberg tier 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,945 ✭✭✭✭unkel

A panel is a panel, makes no difference. Just buy the cheapest watts per EUR you can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Cheers folks, thought as much.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo101

I have a solis 6kw hybrid installed since Jan so I haven't seen much in the way of clipping etc. But I am a bit confused what the inverter will do for me.

Eg. (Made up numbers) If 20kw are coming off the panels at a point in time, what is the most that can be used? Does the 6kw limit on the inverter related to export only regardless what the house and battery draw?

There's a bit of head room in the inverter.

But only 6kw can leave the Inverter.

But if your panels are generating say a more realistic 8kw, and the house uses 4, and 4 goes to the battery.

But if ever gets to a point where the battery is full only 6kw will be produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭micks_address

i was wondering about that - so if the inverter is 5kw and you are generating 6... if you have space in the battery it can put 1 there? rest to the house and export? i thought it might just limit the extra 1kw and it would get lost

• Advertisement

It really depends on the hybrid inverter, I've seen photos of the 6kw going up to 8 from pv, with the majority of it going to the battery.

My straight 6kw inverter doesn't pass 6kw no matter what.

Thanks mine is a givenergy 5kw and ive seen it pass something like 5.3 the other day. Have 7kwp on south east/north west split so it wont be a huge issue for a lot of the months of the year but id say on good days in the summer i will exceed 5kwp at same time

Total non issue for you @micks_address. I doubt you would lose more than 0.1% of your annual output because of clipping. That's about a euro or two max per year 😂

ah yeah just curious what the behaviour is.. i might be able to squeeze 3 more panels on the back roof but i suspect its not worth the effort. Should have asked at install time. Its a pity my house isnt a little more east/west then the front would be a lot more valuable but you can't have everything i guess!

If you can do it yourself and the 3 panels will be part of an existing string, so no other hardware needed, then it sure is worth your while!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭eltoastero

I'm in the process of signing up for some solar but really want to continue using my day/night meter, I'm finding very little online explaining the "deemed Export Payment" (everything points towards needing a Smart Meter to get paid for exported electricity). Would you mind explaining how the Deemed Export Payments works on a D/N meter please? The quotes I've gotten say it's possible but they glossed over the actual mechanics of it (is it a fixed amount, is it based on generation/export)? Thanks

edit: actually searching for the correct term "Deemed Export Payment" brought up from results direct from Energia/Bord Gais (which I hadn't seen before) - apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Anyone know why the Facebook group for " Irish Solar PV & Battery systems owners group " has gone private?

I used to keep an eye on it out of interest, I don't have a facebook account.....

No probs and if it wasn't yet fully clear, if you have a D/N meter, you get deemed export based on the size of your install as registered with the ESB on your NC6 form, this is a fixed amount and is not related to how much you export (in my case I export nothing, but still get the full deemed FIT)

Once we all get smart meters, you will get real export based on your actually exported units

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Are there any issues getting solar on the roof with an attic conversion, that people might have had?

• Advertisement

Nope but you might simply have less space left for panels because of velux windows put in during the attic conversion

Advertisement