Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Dummies.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭con747

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

Looking for some advice from the Solar experts on here...

Our electricity consumption is ~50units ea day, probably split almost evenly (50:50) between day and night units.

I have been playing around with PGIS; in order to try and maximise generation from the panels it would be best to have them on 3 separate roofs - I can only fit a maximum of 6 panels on the south-facing roof & so was looking to try and get panels that are as powerful as possible, e.g. Jinko Tiger Neo N-type 60HL4-(V) rated at 470WP.

To avoid mismatches I would probably get all the same panels but what options are there for connecting 3 strings to an inverter? I was thinking of trying to install 6 south-facing panels, 6 west-facing panels and 12 east-facing panels (according to PGIS, at my location east-facing panels are slightly more productive over the entire 12 month period)

I would get a hybrid inverter but might hold off on battery storage initially - there are 2 EVs so fortunately I can drive one whilst the other is charging.

Is it easy to add a DIY battery afterwards? Is there anything I have to ensure the installer does so that I can add a battery later (apart from making sure a hybrid inverter is fitted)?

Anything I've forgotten??

Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The option of more than two strings into an inverter is cost prohibitive.

Battery down the line should be straightforward once you have a hybrid inverter but you are paying a lot more for the hybrid inverter so be careful on the financial viability of choosing a battery with both FIT and two EVs available

The number of panels will be determined by your choice of inverter so you need to make sure your inverter can take X number of panels. You are likely looking at a 5.5kW max inverter now esbnetworks have cracked down on 6kW inverters (separate thread on this)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,064 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Some inverters have dual inputs per MPPT and can handle double the current. Like the Sunsynk 8.8kW. You could then have the 12 E on MPPT1 and the 6 W and 6 S on the dual input on MPPT2

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

...but NC7 required.......

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Mr Q

A non hybrid inverter like a SMA Sunny Boy has 4 pairs of inputs for strings. This could also work for the three orientations mentioned above.

There are probably other brands offering similar that would be also under the NC6 application limit.

Then add a Sofar or similar later when adding a battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Interestingly as export limiters are allowed for NC7 but not NC6, there is nowhere to apply for a greater than 6kW inverter (soon to be 5kW) where you keep your existing MEC of 6kW or 5kW.

EG if you add a second non hybrid inverter and limit both it and your main inverter to 2.5kW each, this will not be covered under nc7 (have to be above 6kW MEC to apply) and would not appear to be covered under NC6 as limiters are not recognised.

Of course, there are other less blatant ways around this and doing the work yourself and monitoring export and setting up so you cannot exceed MEC. This is what most of us on here are doing and I suspect its the path Ill go down. I've been back and forth with an irish provider of solar carports and will be adding another 7kWp in all likelihood to a solis string inverter I bought from Unkel! I had other plans for it initially but I think it makes sense to use for the carport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

So with three roofs, you are unusual - but a good few people have dealt with this. Typically the "easiest" way is to get a 2x string inverter and put optimizers on the panels on your south (6) and west (6) facing roofs. Then the 12 east facing panels would go in on the other string (without optimizers). The use of optimizers is debatable. Some people couldn't be bothered, fearing that if one fails they'll have to go up onto the roof to replace it. There's some merit to that, but I think the failure rates are so low that it's like 1/100 (or there abouts) with 12 optimizers that you'll get a failure in 10 years. Those odds are fine in my book.

Going the 3 or 4 input string inverters would be the ideal solution as unkel mentions above, but those puppies are hard to get and (probably) beyond what a supplier will install for you, even if you supply the kit.

I'm also a big battery proponent, but with 2x EV's I'd be slow in your case. Your EV's will be able to soak up a lot of excess, assuming that one is present in the driveway when the sun is shining of course. Another option is to simply get a "normal" (non-hybrid) inverter and get down the road a ME3000.

If money was less than an issue though, with your consumption. Go big. 10Kwh battery along with 8-9Kwp in panel, hybrid inverter.

Aside: 50-50 split on consumption with day/night? You not charge the EV's at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Sorry it's probably been asked a dozen times, but can I diy a battery with a Huawei hybrid inverter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭micks_address

Yeah we do but have a heat pump as well; I could definitely improve it towards 60:40 in favour of the night rate but then everything will change once solar goes in!

If I can get the Jinko Tiger Neo N-type 60HL4-(V) rated at 470WP ea, panels then the total array size should be around 11.2Kwp; do any hybrid inverters (apart from the Huawei) allow both charging of battery and full AC power output at the same time? (I believe the Huawei allows 5Kw for both of these concurrently)

@alfa_aficionado - be careful with the high wattage panels. They are a con. In the way that they are not producing materially more electricity per sq meter of panel, the panels themselves are simply bigger. So fewer of them will fit on your roof. So take proper measurements of your roof and of how many panels of a certain make / model would fit, before you buy anything...

Thanks @unkel - I did double check the dimensions because as you rightly point out a lot of the higher power panels are much larger. It's hard to find any definite source where these can be compared directly. I did look to see whether I could fit more of a smaller panel onto the roof but this isn't possible as I don't have enough space to fit 2 rows.

unkel's 100% spot on there. If it was made in the last 1-2 years, virtually all the panels are with 1% efficiency of each other. E.g

Longi 410w panels = 1722 x 1134 x 30mm = 1.95m^2. So watts per sq mq = 410w/1.95 = 210.25 watts/m^2

Longi 450 panels = 2094 x 1038 x 35mm = 2.17m^2. So watts per sq mq = 450w/2.17 = 207.37 watts/m^2

The initial thinking is that the 450w would be better, but as you can see above it only produces more because it's a bigger panel. In terms of actual efficiency the 410w panel is actually more efficient, although it should be noted that 3-4watts difference in a sq meter is nothing.

Ultimately, it depends on the size of your roof and how many of each you can fit. You might be able to fit more of the smaller panels giving you a higher overall output, or it may work out that the larger ones maximises your available space.

Sizes of a fair few panels can be gotten at midsummer e.g. Longi 450w Silver Framed Split Cell Mono (White Backsheet) (midsummer.ie)

Another question on inverters again; what are my options given the proposed solar array size is 11.2Kwp? I think export limit can be set to max 6Kw in most inverters but what happens to the other 5.2Kw? (I realise that for most of the year, generation will be far below this but I would hope that during the summer there would be reasonably regular peak generation exceeding 6Kw) I presume the excess generation above 6Kw is "lost" with a standard 6Kw inverter?

I think the Sofar HYD 6000-EP has a max PV input power of 9Kwp, alongside a max grid output of 6Kw (3000...6000-EP – SOFAR (sofarsolar.eu)) so this sounds like it might be a good choice but presumably quite a bit more expensive than standard 6Kw inverters? I also cannot see anything online that

How would multiple inverters work?

Are there any alternatives to the Sofar ME3000SP that allow for a higher rate of battery charging?

I'm probably not going to install batteries immediately given that i can store energy in the EVs themselves but is it still better to try and get the installer to fit a hybrid inverter now rather than changing a standard inverter out later?

What roof height/space do you have to work with for the install. Could you get two rows landscape instead of one row portrait?

If you can only get one row landscape what maximum height could the panels be?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

My 6kW inverter can generate up to 8kW I've seen so far from my 8.2kWp array. I think 11kWp would be pushing it a bit on a normal 6kW inverter. If it were me I'd break that into 3 strings, and put the last 3-4kWp on a separate string inverter. Put your main inverter as a hybrid inverter, even if not getting batteries now, because 11kwp is a fk ton of electricity and you'll want to store that somewhere.

To answer your "lost" question, yes, if the inverter cannot handle any more you get clipping. This is the tradeoff of oversizing an inverter array, you are limited by the inverter in peak time but get higher generation most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭micks_address

yeah its an interesting balancing act. During the winter i see max 2.5/3 kwh generation for december/jan.. but last week i was over 5 for periods of the day.. ive a 7kwp array split over 2 aspects/strings - south east/north west.. 4kwp/3kwp - my inverter is 5kw

I will be adding an additional 7.9kW over 3 directions later this year. All on one 3.6kW SMA inverter which is listed on the datasheet as max PV of 5.5kW.

SMA have a design tool and this will work fine according to it. But there are lots of variables between different panels, inverters, panel orientation etc.

I think 11kW of panels on a 6kW inverter would be possible.

• Advertisement

Switching to landscape doesn't really get me any more panels - the roof has a depth of <2.5m

Most panels are 1.1m x 1.8x (approx). so if your roof has 2.5m you should be able to get 2x rows of landscape in there.

What @bullit_dodger said. In fact a standard size PV panel is just 165*99cm. All the bigger wattage ones we have seen in the last few years are massive cons. Be very aware, buy what fits while making sure your € per wattage is kept to a minimum.

I thought there had to be a minimum gap of 50cm between the edge of the panel and the edge of the roof in all directions, meaning that the area of the roof that can be used is technically 1.5m? Maybe the installers don't really care but could it be an issue for the grant?

If that was the case then I could possibly get 2 rows in landscape.

Apologises. I didn't know you were going for the grant, I thought this was a self-build and missed that in the thread. I think it's 30cm to the apex of the roof, but yeah, 50cm to the sides. Might be close to get 2x landscape in, but I think you could do it. Might have to go with smaller panels. I went for these guys myself for 2x panels I put on the shed.

Q Cells G9 350w Black Gappless mono module (midsummer.ie)

1.67m x 1.03m

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Redlim

From section 4.3.3 of the SEAI code of practice for installers it says you can go up to 200mm from the top of the ridge. Or is that referring to just the fixings perhaps?? My installer called SEAI before doing my install to check as we were a bit tight for space also and they gave the all clear for 200mm. But maybe there was a bit of confusion over what was being asked!

"The PV modules must not overhang the edge of the roof at any point, must not extend within 500mm of the roof edge/perimeter, and must not be fixed at the ridge cap/tile (which in many cases may be cemented in place) or within 200mm of the top of the ridge."

No I think you are right Redlim. I thought it was 30cm, but I was working off memory. In that case you should be good alfa.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

Has anyone considered or installed a Wi-Fi controlled fuse spur to control the immersion heater for hot water rather than an eddi?

I have a hp but don’t have the ability to control it remotely to activate it to heat the water when I’m away from home when we have excess solar. When we have to replace it down the road I’ll try find one that I can integrate with the solar or that allows Wi-Fi control but not until the current unit fails

I’m considering getting it to send the excess to the hot water tank manually, I did something similar with small oil rads controlled by Tapo plugs last few months and it worked really well, but don’t have need for space heating currently.

we have CEG so no benefit to feeding all the excess into the grid.

just wondering where others are on it?

Post edited by redmagic68 on

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

I guess the biggest hurdle redmagic with that is getting a Wifi controlled relay which can take 16A - but yeah in theory it should be doable. It'd be an all or nothing though, an EDDI will detect (say) you have 400w excess going to the grid and then pump that into the element. You'd probably have to wait until you had say 2Kw being exported and then flick the switch. Should be automatable though easy enough assuming you have access to the Inverter telemetry letting you know what you are exporting at a specific time. Or a shelly etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Search for water heater wifi switch, there's a few on Amazon that handle 20 amps.

Advertisement