Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costs for fallen tree removal

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,775 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a partially collapsed branch that big would be stupidly dangerous for someone to try a DIY job on; there's still a lot of energy and instability tied up in that branch i'd bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭rolling boh

have just seen picture defo a pro job needed by the looks of things still try to get them to keep the wood though .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yeah seeing that photo its a bit more work.

Be careful chainsawing something that size and in that position without knowing what you're doing. It could easily move and shift and even try to right itself given the weight distribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

No its not, you can cut your hand off with a circular saw also, do you intend all saws are not available to the public? There are idiots everywhere, we cannot and should not legislate for them, they will eventually eradicate themselves.

There is no safe approach and retreat path to that fallen branch. It is above head height. Don't go near it unless it is secured in some way to prevent it from falling on those around it. you can probably limb parts of it but there will still be considerable weight left in that branch even after lobbing some of it.

Can it perhaps be grabbed by a tractor with claws from the adjacent field?

The worst time to approach a tree surgeon for a price or a chainsaw dealer is right after a major storm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭blackbox

I'm a fairly experienced diyer with a chainsaw and I think I'd leave that job to a professional, especially as it's in a neighbour's garden.

If I was the neighbour, I'd insist on a fully insured professional.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,775 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i know a lad well experienced with a chainsaw (a professional carpenter) who'd probably look at the pic posted and think 'there's enough work out there without me having to deal with a partially collapsed tree' and leave it to someone else.

plus - and this is not what the OP wants to hear - there's also the possibility that someone would deal with that limb and realise the whole tree is compromised. i'd be getting a quote for total removal too; once a decent tree surgeon is onsite with all the right gear, it may not add as much as you might fear to the quote. a lot of what you're paying for is them to come onsite with insurance and know-how.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Have just now seen that photograph. As one of the first people here to suggest maybe doing it yourself with a chainsaw, I'll now say do NOT attempt to do that yourself with a chainsaw! I certainly wouldn't attempt it myself.

Only saving grace there is that it doesn't seem to have actually damaged the neighbour's shed....yet. But do something wrong there, and large parts of it could come crashing through the roof all right.

You might still be able to get a cheaper quote, but bearing in mind all that's involved there, I reckon you'd be still looking at around €800 if you want a properly insured professional to do the job. And getting anybody else would be foolhardy.

Thing is, though....is it actually your tree? i.e. where exactly did it fall from? Might the owner of the field behind be at least partly responsible for it as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hunter2000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Savage weight in that bough and removal of same is not for a novice. Chainsaws and ladders are a very bad mix and if that's the combination being used to remove the branches it's an accident waiting to happen imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Scag Mattress

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hunter2000

And posting about it. He seems to post in everything just to get count up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Ive had this issue a couple of times over the year.

There are a few ways you can go to get it removed.

1 - Tell neighbor to call his house insurance company. They will cover it (they might even arrange someone to do the job) and then chase your insurance company to reimburse. You will have a tiny extra amount added to your insurance for 5 years. (We had a €4500 claim once and the policy only went up by about €35 a year for 5 years)

2 - Cut it yourself and use the wood for firewood.

3 - Get someone else to cut it for free and they can keep the logs.

The wood from that isnt great but it will burn just fine when it dries.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Redlim

As mentioned by @Uncle Pierre above there's a possibility it might not be your problem to fix, or at least not be 100% on you. Could the tree actually belong to the owner of the field behind your property? You mentioned you've just moved in - do you know exactly where your boundary is? Might be clutching at straws but something to consider at least.

Difficult to see properly in the photo but has the tree fallen mostly into the neighbour's property or perhaps into the field behind it? The owner of the field may be interested in taking the(ir) wood if they have the means to do so, e.g. jaws on a tractor to pull it back into their field if safe to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

Best to get a professional in because if you're unsure and cannot make a good risk assessment you could cause untold damage.

I could do a similar job myself with a felco loppers a silky saw, a ladder with a platform and the right PPE, but you'd have to do it in sections going from the light branches right back to the main trunk. Sounds daunting but when you've experience it's like a piece of cheese.

I've a Silky Sugoi 360-6.5-5.5 professional pruning saw, it's very sharp I mean it'll damage you if you're not careful but for the price of it it's as good as any chainsaw. And it's great exercise too it'll keep you warm :)

A silky as good as a chainsaw ?

hilarious

the tree is 50cm in diameter, would be gas craic trying to saw it with a saw which maxes out at 8cm shorter than that (the silky has a maximum available length of 420mm)

just curious if this has been dealt with to the OP's satisfaction by now?

Advertisement