Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long to get back to where we are today?

Options
  • 10-12-2021 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

If the entire population of the world were all transported back say 500 years, keeping all the knowledge and learnings we have, just in memory form with no access to modern technology.

How long do you think it would take us to get back to the level of sophistication and technological advancement that we currently have today?

Surely it would take considerably less than the 500 years previously.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I think we'd probably end up obliterating ourselves if we had the prior knowledge of the riches that would await the person, state or entity that cultivated the most resources. This would create a Mad Max type world because people would be aware of the inequality that would exist afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

When I tried it in the video game Civilization, it took me about 2 months playing on and off, but that was starting at 4000BC and getting to 2100AD

So for your scenario, I'd say about a week?

Disagree tbh

inequalities didn’t begin to plague us on the advent of technology. 500 years ago women didn’t get to speak on any issue, be educated, same sex marriage didn’t exist, so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

You might be surprised about what people could pull from memory. I'm no expert on semiconductors, for example, but I know enough to have a stab at a primitive junction transistor.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

There would be mass starvation, and of roughly 8 billion people transported back, at most 100 million would survive. The survivors would be the useful ones, the skilled tradespeople, scientists etc. Things like a four year crop rotation, the haber process would kickstart an agricultural revolution within a generation. in effect 300 years earlier than the current reality.. If the speed of light is a hard limit we would be colonising neighbouring star systems by now, if the speed of light is not a hard limit, we could be across the galaxy

• Advertisement

A lot would be enslaved by the people from the past. So plentiful cheap labour. would stop any market based economy or middle class economy taking hold. Loads of massive tombs for the ruling elites though-

Advertisement