Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Irish politics discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,005 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

FF's disastrous performance in the DBS by-election seems to have softened his cough. Little point in him becoming party leader if he can't hold his own seat...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think J O'C was against a successful FF result in DBS - as it provides major competition at the next election. No TD wants a strong running mate who might unseat the current holder.

I live in DBS and the FF campaign was half-hearted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is a huge difference between not trying that hard to get someone elected; and having the worst FF electoral result ever.

The candidate is as responsible for the result as anyone else of course.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, he wont have a sitting FF TD on the ticket at the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,866 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There mightn't be a sitting FF TD there after the election either 😁

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Ivana's on air Car crash just got pride of place on Playback

It sounds even worse on a second listening. Theres a whiff of Edwin Poots about her. The only saving grace for her is Labour have tried everyone else as leader so there is no Jeffrey Donaldson waiting in the long grass for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Ivana's on Newstalk live now. She can't explain the difference between Labour and the Soc Dems. She just answered a question about her time as leader of labour in the senate during labours time in government after the financial collapse with a scripted answers to other questions about how grateful she is for Alan Kelly's support and then another answer on Covid and Ukraine.

Gavin isn't letting her away with it and keeps asking the question so she is crumbling. She sounds like she is nearly in tears at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Fine Gael TD for Donegal, Joe McHugh, has announced he won't be standing at the next election:

With SF nailed on to win 3 seats there in the next election, he would have been in a battle for one of the final 2 seats with Charlie McConalogue and Thomas Pringle.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Was probably the best TD there in generations, for local issues at least. And not in the turning-up-at-funerals-and-grant-awards like Cope was, being willing to try work on serious issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Just one for the Mods.

What is the point of having a Politics thread when the primary discussion on the current government takes place on the Current Affairs/IMHO forum. I was hoping to tune into the discussion on Robert Watt and the Oireachtas hearings (FWIW I really do not like the way he has been treated by elected politicians, for me it is a witch hunt and my bigger issue is that it would put people off going for his job down the line and reinforces the negative stereotypes that people have of Public Servants). Anyway, once I saw the conversation was happening on Current Affairs, well whats even the point because of the nature of the conversation that tends to take place there.

In other parts of boards you'll be told 'Moved to such and such forum'.....why not with politics.

• Advertisement

I had a similar experience with the Russia thread over there so I started the Ukraine one in this sub-forum instead.

Unfortunately the traffic on this sub-forum just isn't high enough to sustain many threads.

I don't know why that is exactly. Perhaps it is similar to the way that tabloid newspapers tend to have higher circulations than broadsheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Yeah - it is strange. Other forums, the cycling forum is a really good example - you have a lot of technical knowledge, people who are passionate about cycling, you can learn a lot from it.

The Current Affairs thread - its like a really really bad Facebook discussion. We're here to give out......travellers, social welfare scroungers, Nigerians, civil servants, RTE....what evs. We are here to give out and thats what matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It's precisely that.

The burden of post quality reduces traffic because you simply can't get away with spitting out any old nonsense.

A pure example of quality over quantity.

That said, after the update last year, you could probably blame that for the collapse in users here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Politics was always quieter prior to the update, but what it had that kept things spicy was Brexit and the Trump Presidency. Both were outsized car crashes that had people enraptured, for better or worse. Look at the relative quiet of the Biden Presidency thread; it's barren because there's nothing to despair and gawp at to the same degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,866 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Boring politics is good politics 😊

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,835 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Watching "The Tonight Show" just reminds me why I despise People Before Profit so much.

Ireland would be so much better without this lot

I was ambivalent about them in the past. I didn't take them too seriously especially considering that they are clearly never going to enter into a coalition government. They just seemed to be a constant feature of Irish politics. What flipped me though was their stance on the Russian invasion of Ukraine this year where they had to make it all about NATO and the USA. It was like they had this world view from 2003 (when the USA & NATO invaded Iraq) and they were going to contort events to fit that view no matter the evidence in front of them. It was like they'd give a half-hearted criticism of Putin just to check a box and then spend the majority of their time railing against the USA with gusto.

They only returned 5 seats in the last election due to SF not running enough candidates so ordinarily they'd be in deep trouble the next time around. However with the expansion of the Dail, in order to meet the criteria set out in the constitution, they might just end up keeping their seats next time around - more's the pity.

In December we're going to have the first ever Taoiseach swap within the same government. Does anyone know how they agreed upon the date? As far as I can make out, no matter what way you slice the numbers Micheal Martin appears to be getting more than his fair share of time.

Method A: Halfway between maximum election period

The Election was held on Feb 8th 2020. The next week one will need to be held by Feb 8th 2025. Halfway between these dates is sometime in August 2020

Method B: Halfway between maximum election period from start of government

Micheal Martin was elected Taoiseach on 27th June 2020. Halfway between that date and 8th Feb 2025 brings us to mid-October 2020

I cannot think of any other way of calculating it. Did Fianna Fail pull a fast one and get some extra months for Micheal Martin at the expense of Varadkar? Not to mention that there's no guarantee that Vardkar will even get his full allotment (should some unforeseen event cause the government to collapse)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭PommieBast

My guess is wanting to align the swap with a recess.

How many days will Varadkar be Taoiseach compared with M. Martin if the Gov goes fulltime?

Remember that the Gov was not formed for six months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Double child benefit payment coming today.

A lot of it to be pissed up against a wall

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

So a lot of it will be going back to the government in VAT while supporting local retailers. That’s great news.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Big front page story on the Irish Mail on Sunday - about an unnamed TD who allegedly was grooming underage teenagers and using fake profiles etc.

Screenshots of alleged conversations between the unnamed TD and children, in the article

the paper says that when this came to light a few month ago, the unnamed party took the whip from the TD but he still features on their website and still on committees.

Very little coverage of it so far.

For example RTÉ Havnt covered it.

anyone know why they aren’t covering it?

seems a significant story surely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

• Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Genealogy Forum Mod

Child care is not targeted - it goes to all qualifying families irrespective of means.

The Gov takes the view that there must be targeted and non-targeted payments. Otherwise, those that do not get any payments - which includes those who just miss out by being just over the means test limit - will consider themselves cut off from any relief.

The minimum targeting for child benefits that could be applied would to make the payments liable to income tax as is the state pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,825 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Because Irish media is doing what it always does - self censoring?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Suspect reporting restrictions to stop the children being identified

• Advertisement

It was less than that - just over 4 and a half months. Election was 8th Feb. Martin was elected Taoiseach on June 27th.

For arguments sake let's say that they swap on the 15th December (I'm not sure the date so picking the mid-way point in the month).

Then Martin will have been Taoiseach for 901 days

If the next election is held on 8th Feb 2025 Varadkar will have been Taoiseach 786 days

Now Varadkar was also standing in as Taoiseach during the period of government formation, which was 140 days - so perhaps they factored that in too and just went with December because of the recess as @PommieBast pointed out.

Advertisement