Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chicago Marathon - Oct 9th 2022

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm realistically just trying to make the start line with a hope to be able to get through the distance in whatever time it takes, I've no time targets in mind whatsoever.

Hopefully build up the mileage to be able to get through a few long runs before October.

Also I must drop down to wave 2, currently in the 3:30-3:40 corral which I shouldn't be at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Tipping away nicely here. Getting in 8 hours a week for some time now. LR up to 2:20 or so. Nice to get the corral assignments this week - assigned to D. Have applied to switch to C just to keep a couple of running friends company. All good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Was tipping away nicely and up to 10 miles which I was chuffed with,considering I was running 4 mins in Dec following Achilles injury last year. Knee trouble has me out of action for the past three weeks. Allowed swim so back in the pool after many years absence trying to keep the fitness up. Any pb plans are now out the window so it’s a plan to make the start line at this stage !

Catching up on the training plan.

Officially, should have been doing 20km today, at marathon pace. Did 16km at the right pace. Not bad for my second week of training.

Hopefully 2 more weeks, and I'm back on schedule

Sorry to hear that, @Mrs M - you were going along nicely until the setback. Good luck with the swimming in the meantime.

First tough training run coming up this weekend. Have a half marathon to do on Sunday at marathon pace. Did 16km fine last weekend at the right pace, so hopefully everything goes well. Will try a gel after 10km, and start to get used to them again.

Spotted that im in corral E in wave 1. Delighted with that. Hate the waiting around at the start, so the earlier I get going the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Training has been decent enough the last few weeks after getting the holidays out of the way.

Tuesday club sessions are being tailored towards marathon time (we have a large contingent doing Dublin) so we had 10 x 1ks with a 200 rec last Tuesday and are on 6 x 1 mile off 400m this week.

Long run yesterday got up to 18, which I had to do solo as I was back in Scotland for the weekend.

Corral B for me, a couple of the lads in the club who submitted quicker qualifying times are in C though.

9 weeks today we will be on the start line.

Hopefully the run went well this morning @[Deleted User]

C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Have Dingle and Galway before Chicago so have 1 x 20 miles run banked so far, step back week this coming weekend so thankfully with weather forecasted I won't need big mileage. One more 20 and that will hopefully be it. Manage the 4 weeks to Galway then and hopefully I'm set

Managed a half marathon this evening. Was not motivated at all.

Had bought a new camel bag thingy. You know the yokes that allow you to carry 2 litres of water on your back, and drink from a little straw.

Well couldn't work it at all. So did the 21km with little or no water, and 2 litres of extra weight on my back.

Anyway, missed my target time by about 90 seconds. Happy enough with that. It was the first week, where I followed the official training plan exactly. Hope to be able to make up those 90 seconds over the next few weeks.

Calves are very tight tonight though. Almost afraid to go to sleep, as I can feel cramps ready to catch me off guard

Next long run is a 2hour run. Should be fine. Only concern now, is my wife going into labour. She's due in the next 10 days. If the baby could arrive on a day off, that would be wonderful

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What flight are people on? I was on United Airlines but they have changed from a direct flight to an indirect flight adding 3 hours travel time each way so I've rebooked on Aer Lingus, costing me a bit extra and now without a checked bag or seat selection.

Feckers didn't even tell me they made that change, only saw it when I went to look at the flight times yesterday.

I'm flying Dublin -> O'Hare with AerLingus

Flying out on the Friday, and home on the Tuesday

Thats a nasty trick from United

Yeah, I'm flying out Friday too, 11:20 I think. Hopefully pick up the number on Friday and get that out of the way.

Flying out on the Friday, landing at 11:40 so I'm hoping to do the bib collection on the Friday as well. Flying home at 10pm on the Tue. Have also entered the 5k on the Saturday. Just to loosen out the legs, anyone else doing the 5k ?

Yeah, I entered it as well, I'll just jog it.

I am United as well, flying on the Thursday. They are now routing me through Washington, bit of a hassle but left it as is because I wasn't flying back direct anyway.

• Advertisement

7 weeks from now, will hopefully be on the flight over.

Training continuing to go well.

But still plenty of time for that to change I suppose :) Niggly injuries seem to all be subsiding right now though, which is mighty.

25km run planned for this Sunday. Looks like only 2 runs longer than that remaining in the entire training plan.

Getting a bit fed up of the Recovery Runs though. Need to start doing a new course. So bogged down in becoming a Local Legend on Strava, that I'm just running the same route constantly :D

Hope training is going well for everyone else

Hard to believe we are only 7 weeks out. Signed up to jog the 5k the day before the marathon, thought I may aswell while I am over there.

Training has been good the last few weeks hitting high 50s/low 60s mileage and our Tuesday club session are getting longer rep wise. Also threw in a bit of stuff on my Thursday run.

Got 20 done last Sunday but dropping it back to 15/16 tomorrow as I am doing the Tullamore 1/2 next weekend.

Hope everyone is doing well.

C

Aer Lingus for me, on the Friday morning around 11am, same one as you most likely. That's poor form from United.

Training going well. Didn't bother signing up for that 5k.

See you en route no doubt.

Nice, of course Aer Lingus had a sale 2 days after I bought my flight!

Training going as well as can be expected, coming off a low base so plan is to just get around in however long it takes. I have taken the long run up to 14 Miles, will try for 16 this weekend, then have the dingle half the following week.

Will hope for 2 more long runs before reducing the mileage the last 3 weeks.

I dropped down to wave 2 also. Already looking forward to the post race festivities, I'll be in the area until October 17th!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Training not going well, this is going to be a a slog.

@adrian522 yes, really looking forward to (hopefully) being on a bar stool at Noon for the Chicago Bears v The Vikings.

• Advertisement

Ha, I'll be still out on the course at that stage

I most likely will be as well but I can dream.

Any plans made for after the marathon?

I did my j1 in Chicago back in 2004, so was thinking of heading back to my old stomping grounds near Wrigleyville.

I think I might be missing out on better places if I do that though. Could always head that direction on the Monday

My training was going to plan until my wife had a baby on Monday.

Before today, I assumed I'd still manage to fit in all of my training. After one day of everyone being at home, I have severe doubts ill have the time for my long runs :(

Supposed to do 30km this weekend. That's basically the guts of 3 hours being away from home. Not sure how I can justify that now

Straight after the race or later that night? My brother lives there so I'm sure he'll have some thoughts. I'm a big fan of Jakes https://g.page/jakemelnickscornertap?share for decent food and drink options.

Probably could do with a spot to meet up after the race though closer to the finish I guess.

Congratulations on the new arrival, is it the first?

Could you go earlier or later? I remember doing one 16/18 miler at 10 pm and finishing the next day.

Second. Have a 2.5yr already at home.

Will try to figure something out. Hard to find a safe long run route in the dark, near where I live.

Most likely need to get anther family member over to help my wife while I run

Have 3 x 20 milers done already, most I've ever done for a marathon. Running Dingle next week but is just training miles for me. Have to figure out a plan for the 4 weeks after. Doing Galway Bay the week before chicago. Likely I'll stretch the legs a bit in Galway and enjoy chicago. Can't race them all

How is everyone getting on?

After a rather lean few weeks in early August feel things are going much better.

What are peoples plans for the few days they are there before the race? I'm very conscious of not wanting to be on your feet trapesing around museums or shopping.

• Advertisement

Hoping to go straight from the airport to the expo to cut down on time in the feet. Landing around noon in O Hare so will head straight from there. I've booked the 5k fir the Sat morning but will be only creeping around for that

Between the wife having our second child 2 weeks ago, and my sisters wedding last weekend, training has taken a bit of a hit.

Just about managing to stay one or two training runs behind where I'm expected to be.

Hopefully manage to catch up this week.

Hoping to stay on Irish time until after the marathon, so will be up early on the Saturday, and down to the expo as early as possible.

Might head down to Navy Pier, but that will be about as far as I go.

We land Friday afternoon and the plan is head to Navy pier for the evening. Then Saturday similar to you, go to expo and then relax until it is pizza time.

Looking toward to the beer on Sunday & Monday!

The Race Guide is out now, thigs are getting serious!

I think I'll enjoy the course, turn off the brain for the first 13.1 and for the second half you don't seem to be going more than one mile without a turn or change of direction.

They've also announced that if you get Covid in the 10 days leading up to the race you get a free deferral.

Got a bit of a fright alright when I received the email today. Becoming a bit more real.

4 weeks time and we'll be making our way to Chicago.

Its actually quite informative.

I wonder when the app will go live.

Training has been good this week.

Not feeling confident about breaking 3:30 at the moment, but should have no trouble setting a pb, which is currently 3:52,barring an injury.

Going to head here after the race, we have booked a table, if anyone wants to join could be a good option for post race beers. Should be able to watch the NFL also.

Around a 12 minute walk from the finish, which is about 11 mins further than I'd like but what can you do,

https://goo.gl/maps/7vfG7BCxDYzpVp6r9

That's very close to my hotel. I won't commit to a seat at the table, but if I think of it, I'll drop in after the race

Yeah, my brother and his family booked a table, probably won't be free seats, but just as a potential meeting point it could work

I booked the Kerryman and have extra seats. I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread, spent some time there on my J1.

Will be interesting to go back with money this time 😂😂.

• Advertisement

The three week countdown is officially on, hard to believe.

Hope everyone is training well and staying healthy.

22 miles on the schedule this morning to round off the reallt long runs on the plan.

This has been the first week where I felt the pinch of the training cycle, almost there though.

Trying to psych myself up for 32.2km this morning.

Realistically, this should be the toughest run of the whole cycle.

Excited to get this one done. If I can I finish in under 2hrs 40, I think I should be good for hitting my target of 3hr 30 for the full thing.

Think this mornings route is quite up and down, which will hopefully stand to me in Chicago.

Just finished by Longest Long Run. 32.2km and it was tough.

Course was much hillier than I anticipated. Completed it in 2:40:06

Definitely made up my mind for me. Going to stick with the 3:30 pacer as opposed to trying to go with the 3:25 pacer.

Have an 80 min recovery run tomorrow. It's going to be horrific :)

Yikes. It would be wrong not to point out that that 20 mile long run was way too fast. You did it at marathon pace. Careful now!

Yeah, my training plan has me doing all my long runs at marathon pace. (and I absolutely could have read the training plan wrong)

Whether it's right or wrong, that's what I've been doing throughout my training.

We'll see in 3 weeks I suppose 😂

Well done, on getting it done. As @Murph_D has pointed out that is a crazy pace. What plan are you following?

Just finished my last long run as well 16 miles, rounding off a 60 mile weeks.

Very happy with how the last four weeks have gone 23 of 24 planned runs completed and sleep and diet spot on.

Wish I hadn't the lull for three weeks at the end of July start of August.

• Advertisement

I'm definitely feeling I misread the training plan now 🤣

Following the official Chicago marathon training plan.

Only have 1 long run to go next week, and that's 100min. Will probably just stick with the approach I've been taking so far at this late stage.

Basically, I do 3 slow runs a week at 5:28/km, of differing distances.

Then do 1speed run, which is generally faster than marathon pace, but rarely longer than 45min

And then I do my weekly long run at marathon pace. Seems this one might be wrong 😭🤣

From the Nike Chicago Plan

“ Long runs - These important exercises also help you get familiar with the physical and mental challenges that you might face during a race. Always run these at a comfortable pace, and as a Progression Run".

Obviously I'm not an expert or know how your training has gone but I'd recommend slowing everything down and even giving tomorrow's recovery a miss.

I'd slow every single run down between now and Chicago you need to build endurance and time on your feet. Do you track your HR using a HRM?

Certainly would not agree with that strategy of sticking to the approach you now know to be wrong. All about patching it up as much as possible over next three weeks. Good luck!

No, don't track heart rate.

Training has gone pretty well.

Generally cover about 55km a week since the end of July.

Last 3 weeks of training have been a bit unorganised, as we had a baby, had my sisters wedding, and had a stag, each weekend.

Have the all clear for the next 3 weeks though

On my long runs, I generally set off at 4:50/km but just listen to my body then, and go whatever pace I'm comfortable at. I wouldn't ever push myself to keep to the original pace.

Like, I feel fine now, after this mornings run. Legs are a bit heavy, but no muscular pain or aches.

Appreciate the input. Really do.

Oh no, I'm not being stubborn, and putting my fingers in my ears.

The fact is, I've only one long run left, and it's only approx 20km. I'll set out at a comfortable pace, and won't worry about marathon pace. The thing is, comfortable pace for me, is close enough to marathon pace.

In the same time, I'll have 9 recovery runs, which will be nice and slow

• Advertisement
Advertisement