Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A321neo V A330 for trans Atlantic flight?

Options
  • 08-12-2021 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Just wondering how Aer lingus A321neo compares to the A330 for trans Atlantic flights.? How does comfort compare between the two. Interested to hear your views. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Perception plays a big role in wide-body vs narrow-body experiences on long haul. The A321LR obviously has less overall space compared to an A330 but the 'useable' space that each passenger is assigned for the majority of the flight ie. their seating area, is essentially the same so it's how you perceive that space is what matters.

In terms of seating, leg room, entertainment etc. it's all very similar. The downside is the bathrooms and aisle availability, with a single aisle it can be difficult queuing for the bathroom or moving around the cabin however in the current covid environment, moving around the cabin whenever you like is frowned upon now.

I also think meal services take a little bit longer but this probably isn't noticeable to most passengers unless they're very frequent transatlantic flyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

A330 is not only better but is the best economy widebody aircraft imo due to the 2-4-2 layout. Less chance of a middle seat and less disruption from other people if you’re in the aisle.

A330 will also be a little less bumpy in turbulence.

A330 will have plenty of overhead storage, more space to move around, spacious lavs and less chance of getting stuck in the aisle.

I’ve only flown the Aer Lingus a321neo short haul but felt it was tighter for legroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Strange that, I have flown the EI 321N and found the legroom decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭cson

In Y the A330 by a distance. You're never more than 1 pax from your seat/have 1 pax disturbing you to get out.

In J the A321s have the 'throne' single seats which are pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

The 330s have a couple of thrones up front too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

In fairness most aircraft do – for a narrowbody it's usually one at the front and two at the back.

I'll get my coat.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

I had the same option with flying top the US from either Shannon or Dublin and i chose Dublin just for the A330. Id pick Shannon every time going forward, DAA staff were exceptionally rude that morning. Shannon and cork staff are always friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Anytime I have gone through Dublin, the DAA staff have always been lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

The big snag is the 3 lavs are all in the aft cabin. You cannot use the fwd lav as that’s for business class. UA 757’s and When EI was operating the ASL 75’s had a lav fwd of L2. It’s a small difference but when all 168 have to walk aft and during service at times!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Agreed! On the EI 757 the lavs were at doors 3 so essentially the center point of the economy cabin which was the ideal set up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Re turbulence, does the 321neo have better wing flex than the 330?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

In business, no difference really, same seat.

I've done 6+ hours on a normal stock A320 in economy config and it not great but otherwise the seat on the A32X is actually wider than the A330 seat.

A330 is a great aircraft in Y as its 2+4+2, its a lot nicer than the 777 in 3+3+3 and miles ahead of the 3+4+3 config, quieter as well and doesn't do the strange flexing the 777 does (stand in the back galley and look forward and watch!).

Compared to a high density 777 the A321Neo wins hands down. A330 is probably the nicest Y out there, much prefer it, can't wait to try the A350.

A330 all the way, but the new A321NEO is a big improvement over the 757 it replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

The other issue on the 777 is the noise from the ducting. It gets very tiresome after a while. A330 cabin is much quieter.

It’s been about 15 years since I was last in a 767 in Y, would be interested to see how the 2-3-2 config compares nowadays. Have heard folks say it’s the most comfortable Y.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

2 out of the Aft 3 are “in the galley area” at the rear entry door. One of them has a crew seat attached to the lav door. I was onboard last week. I was in 8C. Business was empty. Lady with a young child in 8D and E started walking to the fwd lav and was given the wave off by the FA to use the rear lavs….long walk!!

Advertisement