Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software

Options
  • 08-12-2021 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Just got a new laptop can anyone suggest a good free anti virus software. I use it for work so it’s my life line

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Wrong forum, but the built-in Microsoft Security Essentials (SE) in Windows is very good. I used to use AVG before switching to SE.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 23,657 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Aye, wrong forum, but MSE isn’t available for Windows 10 (Windows 11 if it’s a spanky new laptop the OP has). The built-in antivirus in Windows is now called Defender, definitely sufficient for home use.

Work laptop though I wouldn’t use a free AV solution, I use Webroot AV - small footprint, unobtrusive, it’s basically everything Norton isn’t 😂

If it has to be free though OP, I’d go with Malwarebytes.

Unless it’s a Mac, then I have no idea as I’ve rarely had cause to use one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭NewClareman

@OP The free built in anti-virus in Windows 10/11 (Windows Defender) is very good. In independent tests it consistently achieves results as good as other free and paid alternatives. For example, see here: https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/business-windows-client/windows-10/october-2021/microsoft-defender-antivirus-4.18-212518/. If you stay away from dodgy sites and don't click on links in mails you should be ok.

Having said this, if you are interacting with companies/clients online, check that they don't require that you use a specific product. If you work for a company with an IT department check with them for guidance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Mod: Moved to Laptops from Feedback with redirect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭billyhead

Is AVG free edition still any use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,248 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Built in Windows Defender and common sense are all you need

use the microsoft one instead - it uses less cpu, is just as good in the anti-virus role and won't be constantly trying to get you to upgrade.

Advertisement