Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Ukraine’s president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, said he hoped next year’s final would take place in the besieged port city of Mariupol.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,154 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Of course, we all hope to that it will be held in the Ukraine next year.

As a fall-back option, there is currently a lot of talk online about the contest being held in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Hmm, if the UK host will Graham Norton present? But then we lose his commentary...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,361 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

That city was bombed hard by the Russians, even if the builders went in tomorrow they would be unlikely to have it restored by this time next year.

But I would be delighted to be proved wrong and it happens for them.

He’ll probably be a presenter, like Terry Wogan was in 1998.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

This really was the most underrated song in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I can't believe people see any particular credibility in the juries! Just look at the make-up of ours - absolutely no reason they should have any more "professional" judgement for a song contest than the average viewer.

Blathnaid Treacy - famous for bring in Glenroe as a baby, presents the Lotto.

Deirdre Crookes - PR person associated with Electric Picnic.

Julian Vignoles - ex Hot Press, RTE commissioning editor, writer, documentary maker.

Niamh Kavanagh - singer, Eurovision winner 1993.

Philip McMahon - playwright and theatre director.

Some of these are very accomplished in their area of expertise and I'd have great time for Philip McMahon in particular, but they have no business claiming any more expertise in judging songs than the general public.

Did we find out if it was actually Ben Adams from A1 singing for Norway?

Or was it another Bob Holness/Baker Street hoax?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Well I think Niamh Kavanagh would have a better idea of vocal performance than the average person & it'd be reasonable to expect a theatre director to have a better understanding of staging & performance. But can't defend the rest...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I don't know. But some media had claimed last week that the astronaut dj had been filmed removing the helmet and that it was Tix (last year's entry - the lad with Tourettes). But Tix announced their jury vote so that must have been nonsense.

• Advertisement

I've no problem with Niamh Kavanagh and if the rest were of a similar background then fair enough. But the whole defence of the jury is that "it's a SONG contest" and the public are too swayed by flashy staging and gimmicks. So I don't think Philly McMahon is any more valid than the rest of us if it's supposed to be about the song.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

In Zelensky's €34 million mansion in Florida....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Eurovision tends to split opinion, people have various tastes which is great, but IMHO the Irish entry was not good.

Just checked where we finished, and we finished 15th out of 18 in our semi-final.

Across the two semi-finals we finished 29th out of 35, (10 from each semi-final went through).

Across the whole competition we finished 34th out of 40.

So, to those who’ve said we did a good job, we were not even close to the standard we should be striving for.

No offence intended towards the singer and the dancers in her act, but the song and the choreography and the theatrics for the song just weren’t up to scratch.

Some of the other countries made use of the fantastic stage and props on offer, we chose a basic single singer with cheesy lyrics and a robotic simple dance routine that wouldn’t impress anyone.

I think generally each song will win votes across things like, vocalist (demonstrate some extraordinary ability like the UK did), Choreography (Ukraine had an insane break-dancer for example), Theatrical performance (Armenia for example, and arguably Ireland tried it last time), and lastly popularity, for example the UK entrant was so likeable, as was the Moldovan entrants (our version of Jedward basically).

I would appreciate if next year we picked an 18 year old (and by that I mean someone with a new verve) with some talent and gave them licence to decide on the theatrical delivery of their piece.

The days of phoning it in with a single singer with a bland song and a few rehearsed dance moves is long gone, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

We'll do really well but we haven't submitted either in years :/

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭a2deden

Do people genuinely think the irish song was good? the girl can not sing, how on earth was she even chosen she genuinely cant sing. Like if she put on a show like Oxana maybe she could get away with it. But Oxana was pretty much a opera singer compared to that girl. Christ above

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Correct, you're definitely not an expert...

Stick to being a keyboard warrior.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Nixon managed to establish a solid landline connection to Neil Armstrong on the moon in 69, yet we can't get an audio/video link between two neighboring countries in 2022...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

can't stop thinking about Portugal's Maro, i think i might be in love 😘

Post edited by fryup on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Just heard the presenter on Radio Kerry this morning say that the Ukrainian song that won this year was better than Maneskin's, holy god what an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Watched the vote, as I did not know the other results. Disappointing for the UK, I wonder how the public vote would have gone for them in a normal year.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

I agree with almost everything you say... however Brooke is only 23, 4 years of 18, while the UK's Sam Ryder is 32. This idea of youth is a bit miss placed.

Also did the show fail to put up the country name, song, performer... etc before the Irish Entry? I though they messed the camera work up also, there was a point where the camera was in the crowd with the stage in the background but it seem to have lost focus, who made that decision.

Most of all the Irish entry has to stop being hosted as part of TLLS, it is only their to support a falling TLLS audience.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

That's not what he said. He said that he hoped it could one day go to Mariupol - not that it would go to Mariupol next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Just to expand on what I posted previously, the BBC took over at least four times from what I can see. In all cases due to an inability by the host broadcaster to afford the contest, usually because of having hosted it in recent years.

1960 in London, stood in for the Netherlands

1963 at BBC Television Centre, stood in for France

1972 in Edinburgh, stood in for Monaco due to insufficient funds and no suitable venue

1974 in Brighton, stood in for Luxembourg

Brooke Scullion wrote the song and I presume had input into the delivery of the performance, and she is quite young and must be a good singer as she went far in the Voice UK recently.

I meant not just a young person but a new vision, someone with an idea of something with quality that will stand out.

This year’s entry was not imaginative and the tune was flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭al87987

Agreed, I think next year it would be better if those songs performed during the semi final on Tuesday and Thursday when the voting is happening. I know we get snippets but it's not really the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Romania are questioning why their jury vote was discarded and why the UK was given 12 points by some of the juries and why Ukraine was given 12 for the other dismissed juries.

Romania also claims the Moldovan jury while deemed valid, had no votes for Romania which is not the normal voting pattern, while the Moldovan population gave Romania 12 points.

Romania say their 12 points in the jury vote went to Moldova, but instead that was changed by the EBU to give Ukraine 12 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭LordBasil

I think it is safe to say that ESC 2023 will not be hosted in Ukraine. It might be hosted/organised by the Ukrainian Broadcaster but not held in the country. My guess is in Poland, probably in Krakow as that is near the border with Ukraine so ESC will still head east. We'll just have to wait and see.....

Regarding Ireland, our result was disappointing, I thought we had a real chance of making it. I think the poor camera work and the speaking part/rap in the song might have been a turn off for juries and viewers alike. Poor Brooke 😥

If you look at entries that have done really well recently, most of them have a distinct flavour of the country they represented and were executed perfectly;

SloMo was latin pop, Spaceman was British Stadium rock channelling Bowie, Freddie Mercury & Elton John, Voila was classic French Chanson, Maneskin were Italian Rock, Amor Pelor Dos was Portuguese Jazz and so on. That is the route we need to take to get strong results, send entries authentic to to country and recognisably Irish to an international audience but executed perfectly. The styles could be;

Uplifting/heart breaking ,emotionally charged rock ballads - think U2, Hozier, The Cranberries, Sinead O'Connor style songs.

Irish Traditional ballads or uptempo - channelling The Dubliners, The Pogues, Could be slow but also we could have an Irish equivalent to Moldova's successful entry this year.

Celtic infused pop - we tried that in 2014 but the execution was a mess. Think a modern take on The Corrs

Something new-age/Celtic - Reminiscent of Enya, Clannad, our last winner Eimear Quinn but modernised.

The last time we successfully staged something that had an Irish flavour was in 2018 and it is no co-incidence that was our only qualification of the past 8 contests. RTE like boasting about our record 7 wins but that will likely be matched by Sweden in the next few years, also both France & the UK have 5 wins, both came second in the last 2 contests so could get a 6th win soon. The only way we can retain our title as is by winning an 8th victory. It will be interesting to see how RTE respond to another ESC disaster.

• Advertisement

@LordBasil Always felt RoS was pandering (and those pandering fell for it slightly) and it wasn't a great song. IMO. And wasn't the 2015 song similar in tempo?

And if that is the case then there is a case for something like Jedward also. Though perhaps that's due to their own hype.

I'd go the Thin Lizzy route for Irish Rock.

______

Yesterday

Advertisement