Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemarathon 24.4.22

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ed......

Decided to run Conservative in the end. 1.33/1.36/1.35

4.44 to finish and 5th place in the ultra.

Was delighted with the 3rd section of the race, felt strong throughout.

Best weather yet for connemara I've had and was a joy to run in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I ran the half, fairly humbling when all the ultra runners are passing you! Stunning surroundings, serious weather. Privilege to run it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Marathon went fairly well for me. The first 5 miles were the only easy part, even running downhill was hard work. I lost about 5 minutes on the last four miles when the wheels fell completely off. Very happy to make the top 10. The results are a tale of big positive splits everywhere. Fabulous day, it really is a very special race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ThePhantomDenis

Nice one Piorun, I ran the ultra meself too, it was a hot one alright but it made the place look spectacular, felt like I was running in Arizona or the like at one stage.

That last 20k was rough, the 2 hills were brutal at the end. I was surprised hearing the course record was somewhere around 3:57, but flat-out shocked to hear that his fastest half marathon split was the last one, with all that climb, some effort there.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭PIORUN

you too TPD.....it was beautiful up there....my wife said that on the way in that it looks like some wilderness in America up there.

last 20k with the wind too didn't help either. I'm already getting the itch to go back and give it another go next year!

its crazy what these things do to your head....I was on mile 15 ( struggling already) and I worked out that I had 14 to go and that was doable , until it dawned on my second last that NO, I had 24 more miles to go :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭py

I have just noticed that they have opened up 2023 entries already: https://www.connemarathon.com/enter-now/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

And a year later, anybody heading West at the w/end? I'm going to attempt the ultra & a friend is doing the marathon. New route for the first part of the ultra this year heading towards the pier on Killary Fjord. Hopefully the weather will be ok, I was there in 2016 & it was horrendous as mentioned already on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭degzs

I see there is a slight north head wind and wonder will this be against us on the half Marathon ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Weather was perfect in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

I was ready for the more normal cold/lashing rain/gales but didn't have any sun cream along with me :) Conn never disappointed with a weather surprise! Now it's a few days past I'm already thinking of signing up for the ultra again next year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Done the halfer the last two years, last year was another gorgeous day.

Advertisement