Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I drink alcohol on intercity trains these days?

Options
2»

Comments

Yeah, screw anyone having the gall to be poor and having the temerity to bring their own booze on board. Alcohol should be restricted to those who can afford a €5 can of warm cider or over-priced bottle of Pimms from the food carriage. Leave the riff-raff to drink their dutch gold in the ditches like the vermin they are.

The issue with drinking on the train comes down to the same thing it always does with IE and train travel in Ireland.....unfit management. They're too cheap and/or lazy to bother their bollocks doing anything that involves improving the customer experience, especially spending money.

People being D&D on the train? Ban alcohol

People with reserved seats being intimidated by others who've grabbed their seat? Ignore them, they'll sit elsewhere

Guy working the shop can't make it in? No catering service whatsoever on that train

Each train should have a minimum of 4 staff working them: Driver, Ticket/seat checker, catering personnel, security guard. On busier trains you could add a 5th as a mobile catering person with the trolley. The prices are high enough to cover the extra €15 per hour or whatever it costs, you'd make that back on refreshments anyway.

Every ticket should have an assigned seat, like an airplane.

If you're too late, you'll have to stand, no exceptions.

If you're too drunk, you get booted out by security.

If you're in the wrong seat, the seat checker tells you to GTFO or the security guard gets involved.

It's not like every other civilised country on the planet hasn't figured this stuff out already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Did you also then mean shouldn't? Unclear what your point is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Economics101

Sorry, if I was not clear: hazards of posting in a hurry. I meant to say that IE should only allow consumption of alcohol actually purchased on the train, and not stuff bought elsewhere and brought onto the train.

I know this has annoyed one poster, but after all I don't think my local pub would allow me to bring a slab of (relatively) cheap off-licence beer into the premises. Same goes for trains.

No, no, you were perfectly clear and understandable. Just because someone disagrees with you and points out the flaws in your elitist thinking, tdoesn't mean they didn't understand you. IT just mean they think you're wrong. Also, I'm not sure who you think you've annoyed either, but it certainly isn't me.

What your suggesting is exactly what I was talking about in my previous post. Instead of addressing the problem, and identifying & punishing the offenders, you want them to punish everybody equally by forcing them to pay over-the-odds for no real discernible reason. It's the same as the Irish government's approach of "Instead of facing the issues head on, we'll make it more expensive and the issues will stop". This is flawed logic.

Tell me, why should you not be allowed bring your own booze on a train? What's the end goal? To stop anti-social behaviour? Why do you think that only cheap beer causes this? People are just as rowdy whether they bought their beer for €1 or for €5. Making it more expensive isn't gonna stop the majority of idiots

And you've conveniently skipped over the questions put to you previously. What about people who can't afford to spend over the odds for beer? Students and OAPs should be restricted from drinking on the trains because they sell cans for a fiver and €10 is too much for two cans when on a budget? Screw them, they should have had the foresight to not be poor, I suppose?

There is a huge difference between the pub and train in your little analogy. I suspect you know this, though, so I'll save my breath and refrain from pointing out the obvious. I mean, for starters, why not ban alcohol on trains altogether, if you want to follow your logic to it's conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Demonique

Im on social welfare and I think you should not be allowed to bring your own alcohol onboard, people who cant afford the alcohol onboard wont die if they cant have a drink

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Railgourmet have handed back the contract (press release on Tuesday) so this won't be happening any time soon. Back out to tender.

Advertisement