Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Latent Racism of RTE's Primetime

Options
  • 04-12-2021 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

As we all know, RTE won't go near race-related issues with a barge-pole. Any news which could be construed as even mildly racist simply won't get delivered. Thus, you would think that there is not a scintilla of racism in this organisation.

However, think again. A few weeks ago RTE's Primetime decided to cover a dodgy builder. Now in all my years watching this show, they never covered the topic of inept builders. So, I was surprised at this. However, it was only transpired in the middle of the show that the builder was in fact an non-national.

Then a few weeks later, Primetime decide to cover a surgeon accused of sexual harassment in the operating theatre of all places. Very odd I thought. Primetime don't normally go after the medical profession in Ireland. But then I learn that the surgeon was also an non-national.

This is a nasty pernicious form of racism from our national broadcaster. RTE will go after you if you're a non-national but they will conveniently leave Irish "professionals" alone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

probably not enough evidence in your post to substantiate what you claim.

I watched the one about the consultant anesthetist, was definitely newsworthy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

we had the same post count there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,715 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Bad way to start there, telling us what we all know. And then telling us to think again, because the thing we all know is not what we think it is.

Have a look at the definition of Latent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

I found this definition.

"lying dormant or hidden until circumstances are suitable for development or manifestation"

That is exactly the meaning I needed to convey.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,546 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'd the OP sarcasm? Can't decide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Does it really matter? Joke, trolling or sincere belief, the OP chose this to occupy themselves with on a Saturday afternoon, when they could have been watching Cowboy Builders clips on YouTube - something they admit they've been missing out on by watching Prime Time. A waste of a day.

In fairness to their other point, Cowboy Rapist Anaesthetists is a show that has yet to be commissioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

You have cherry-picked a relatively unnoticeable coincidence. That these are people who happen to be non-nationals is not a narrative RTE are going for. You are most likely just very sensitive to such things. RTE hardly sat there thinking ah yeah we'll go after a few non Irish.

Let me pose you this, how about the multiple, if not the majority of times, Prime Time have exposed plenty of Irish professionals and Irish owned businesses. You're going at a baseless claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

You must have been hard up for some racism OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

MORE POLITICAL CORRECTNESS BEING PUSHED ONTO US BY THE RTE EXECS. THEY WON'T STOP UNTIL THEY HAVE SUCCESSFULLY RUINED THE SUNDAY GAME.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I can never remember Prime Time investigating an Irish member of the medical profession.

I can never remember Prime Time investigating an Irish building firm.

Then all of sudden, two broadcasts covering investigating these sectors and specific players are aired - both featuring non-nationals. Seems very odd.

Don't give Channel 5 or Sky any ideas.

Post edited by jetsonx on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Sorry OP. The term “non-national” boils my pi$$ and reeks entirely of racism itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

No, but you're cherry-picking. That's the point I'm making, Prime Time have a many of time gone after Irish Professionals in many industries/vocations. Just because it happens to be one specific industry where a set of circumstances have brought to light cases worth investigating that by chance have non-nationals, it's latent racism?

Come off it. If it was a week in or week out thing then yes, a regular litany of such selective choosing then there would be reasoning. There isn't though, take the scope of all the examinees and case studies and the massive proportion is Irish people. Not that it matters, but it's just a coincidence nothing more to be seen or looked at.

Also are you sure that Prime Time has never examined an Irish building firm? I have evidence here to the contrary if you need some light shined on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

But how is it racist? If they committed a crime or did wrong, it doesnt matter who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Seek an you shall find

Like vaccine dodgers if you're looking for something to backup a claim you'll eventually find it. Ignoring of course everything else

To my recollection, Primetime have never done an expose on a one-man band dodgy builder in Ireland. And I'm sure there are loads of them. (Loads of dodgy clients as well to be fair). Then all of a sudden, all guns blazing, the decide to dedicate a show to it. Except, guess what, the subject is not from Ireland.

To my recollection, Primetime have never done an expose an individual surgeon in Ireland. Then, all guns blazing, they dedicate a show to it. Guess what he's not from Ireland either.

It seems very odd, that for years RTE have avoided this type of lets-expose-a-unethical professional style of journalism, but once there are foreign-nationals involved, Cinderella turns into Cruella de Ville.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,715 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I would say they rely on dissatisfied clients to give them the heads up on dodgy builders or whatever. You could pass on a few names of the dodgy Irish builders you know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Outside of the 2 examples given by the OP, the vast vast majority of the other cases/stories covered by Prime Time tend to involve white Irish nationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

These stories are not about latent racism OP. They are just important stories that need to be reported to members of the public by RTÉ who is our national broadcaster.

The victims of these intentionally cruel acts were carried out by the dodgy builders & the anesthesist onto innocent members of the Irish public who didn't know anything about these dodgy people's darker history from their jobs in the past.

That horrible story about the anesthesist who was out working in Naas General Hospital, who was a non national, was absolutely shocking. He did his dirty business on public health patients who attended the hospital to receive high quality care. Since they had gone this distressing period by this piece of filth in the hospital; they had to carry out a heavy burden on themselves to make these distressing reports to the authorities here that their private personal space had been grossly violated by a healthcare worker, without their prior consent, who was employed by the hospital.

He should have had clear knowledge in his head from the very beginning that carrying out these disgusting acts on public patients was not to be tolerated whatsoever by the hospital management, the HSE or by the Gardai. What this scumbag has done here was that he carried out an illegal act on his own patients without their permission with an extra punishment of violating their personal space.

Now; I have never been sexually abused by any Irish or foreign healthcare staff while attending the health service here. But hearing this story being reported on by the likes of RTÉ or any other media outlet should make people feel sick to the pit of their own stomach. These feelings should also begin to spark off considerable bursts of anger while it was done by someone who was employed by our health service.

I personally hope that this scumbag will get caught by the police while he was carrying out his disgusting acts on people in other countries. The key should gets thrown away from his face while he goes behind bars for a very long time. He deserves every second of that misery that was imposed on him by the courts.

I don't see anything wrong here at all when RTÉ are meant to report on these important matters of public interest. They are out there just doing their job. What more do you want when you're talking about RTÉ regarding the validity of these stories OP?

It doesn't matter that the perpetrators involved were non nationals or Irish people. RTÉ have a clear duty by their own News & Current Affairs department to report these stories to members of the public, most of whom as licence fee payers, as they are regarded as major stories of public interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,873 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There has been scores of RTE reports on sexual crimes involving Irish people. Hundreds if not thousands of hours of reporting... google is your friend..

Advertisement