Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why aren't parents held liable for torts committed by children in Ireland?

Options
  • 03-12-2021 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

In Ireland, if a child accidentally damages your property, the mother or father can just shrug it off and leave the repair bill to the person whose property was damaged.

I believe the parent is only liable when it was a criminal act committed by the minor child and the child has to be of the age of criminal responsibility. So, if a 10 year old child deliberately throws stones at your car or house, you have two choices, you repair it yourself or don't.

There are too may gurrier children running about. Most of these (I'm sorry to say) are from single parent households with no stern authority figure. These are observations of mine which are based on over a decade in this country and very frequent visits before that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

What’s a lawyers favourite kind of chip?

Tort-illas

What’s a lawyer’s favourite kind of frozen reptile?

Tort-ice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Its like this with a lot of things in Ireland and other countries too.

If you yourself get into trouble and cause a bit of damage and you have some assets like a decent car and a house and a few quid in the bank and you're an honest lad you might decide to settle out of court, you are likely to have little experience with the justice system and your friends probably dont either. So you'll cough up your 5 or 10k or whatever it is and count yourself lucky they didn't come after the house/car/whatever and you were saved the trouble & embarrassment of having to take one or more days off work to go into court.

However if you are a "gurrier" or all your friends are "gurriers" and you don't have many assets things are a little different. You might not be working full time or at all so you can divert all your energy into kicking back and fighting your case. One of your gurrier friends was probably in a similar situation and he will provide you with help and moral support. You probably won't own a house so any assets you do have you can start making these harder for the powers that be to get at. You don't settle out of court, you get free legal aid, you'll try to get off the hook through any means possible. If you fail you'll claim you don't have the money & that you have mouths to feed at home. So you might get put on an installment plan where you make a certain payment every month to pay for the damage. This is if you're unlucky enough to be found guilty. You can stop paying the installments when you reckon the victim has "enough money" so that they won't bother going through the court system to retrieve the remainder of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Waitress to customer "are you finished "?

Customer to waitress , "I'm not Finish , I'm Swedish ".

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭HazeDoll

Jeremy, you are clearly very unhappy in Ireland. Each of your threads reveals another facet of your dissatisfaction with this green little island.

Don't you think you'd be better off going home? Where everything is perfect, just the way you like it? No unreasonable Irish silliness?

Go on, go home. We hate to see you leave but we'll get along without you somehow.

Children should be scene and not herd.

• Advertisement

Are Swedish parents held responsible for the crimes of their children?

Why do you think someone, other then the culprit, should be held responsible for crimes?

What if my mother broke the Windows of her neighbours house, she has no money, should I be held responsible for her crime? Should I have to pay for someone else's crimes?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Surely this is a once in a lifetime scenario, ie; a small kid cycles in to your wing mirror & you have to pay a couple of hundred to fix it? It's never happened to me or anyone I know.

Where have you pitched your tent in Ireland that you've experienced these children that lack "a stern authoritive figure" in single parent households hurling rocks at your house and car incidents in a short decade?

The parents are not liable even if the child commits an offence.

And seriously, your attitude towards single parents is disgusting. I can assure you there are many many juveniles committing crime that are from two parent families.

You come across as some seriously naive country girl that never went anywhere in her life bar a tiny country village.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

Why do you live somewhere you clearly hate?

Move home to Sweden where everything is rosy. or as i think, stop being a troll and get a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Torts? Is that D4 for a small baked pastery with jam filling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭banie01

This, please for the love of God!

Please Jeremy, fúck off back to Sweden and test the limits of their renowned hospitality with your constant whinging. Don't let the door hit you on the way out, make use of your FoM and go somewhere that you like, that you feel meets your needs. Maybe post to let us poor bástards left here in the 15th century just how great your new life is and where you end up?

So we can avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Troll (Norwegian and Swedish), trolde (Danish) is a designation for several types of human-like supernatural beings in Scandinavian folklore. They are mentioned in the Edda (1220) as a monster with many heads. Later, trolls became characters in fairy tales, legends and ballads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a couple of kids - completely innocently, they were about 5 years old - went around my sister's estate and drew on cars using balls of muck. about 50 cars damaged. if you'd claimed that on insurance, it'd have easily been a five figure sum involved. my sister's car was damaged too, but they shrugged it off, their paint wasn't really badly damaged, and as the parents of young kids they took a 'thank christ it wasn't one of ours who did it' approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I just popped in to find out what a tort is. !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - looks like "Sprock's casual observations about Ireland Vol IV" has turned bitter and xenophobic so yeah, closed.

😥

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement