Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood stove installation

Options
  • 02-12-2021 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Am getting my chimney cleaned and the flexi pipe installed. Is it important to fill the chimney cavity with vermiculite?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Saladin Ane

Found out today that crows have dropped multiple sticks down both chimneys and it is not just a chimney sweep that I need. One seems to be blocked about 5 ft down. The other one about 2 ft Best way for dislodging this? The chimney sweep will only come out when it is cleared.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

I'm a tad confused by your question. Presumably the chimney has a pot on top, about 6" across? So these aren't the biggest of sticks?

Were these discovered by the chimney sweep? Did he go on the roof or just like up the thing?

Did he have a suggestion for how they could be removed?

There are chimney repair firms about, I think we used A1, some years ago.

I put a ladder up and looked. Chimney pots, yes. One of the chimneys had it's fireplace bricked up and plastered about 30 years ago. Here, I intend to drill a 110mm hole, and after the crows construction is dislodged, pull a flexipipe through. The other chimney will be more troublesome as it has a back boiler. This I intend to pull out, take down the chimneybreast, fix up the ceiling, clean up the soot damaged stones (house is 120yrs old), replaster and fit a stove.

In the NE USA I had a yotul and I removed all the ground floor doors. Nice and toasty 24/7 from November to April.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

We did similar a while back (without the Crow's helpful additions).

We cut out and made good the old fireplace.

Stove company installed the pipe and placed the stove and plumber installed it.

I've no idea of how you'd get the sticks out yourself. We used a chimney repair company to get rid of one of the chimneys. We used A1, but I've no idea if they're still around since the pandemic.

All the best.

I got the local handyman. He had all the gear. Put the twisty/hook thing up from the fireplace and then from the access panel - 8' off the ground. Eleven buckets in all ....... just twigs, a plastic/rubber 4" grommit and the rest soot. The house has been empty for 11 years! Lit a fire afterwards but it's a bit smokey so I'll get a chimney sweep to clean it out. Am happy, so far.

• Advertisement

After ordering (and paying for) the stove on Jan 18 ........... stove has arrived but am awaiting the 2 x 45s and stovepipe. The hold up seems to be the importers in Dundalk/Droghreda. At least they didn't trot out the usual Covid excuse. Or perhaps that was included. Deep/Long Covid in the stovepipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUOAtDU5yFY

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

if the chimney is internal you dont need to fill it, if its external most likely yes

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SloppySkidMark

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

its insulation for the flue, an outside chimney would be colder than an internal one, you don't want water vapour etc condensing in the flue before it exits at the top

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SloppySkidMark

Ah I see,

I always thought it was to stop the liner flapping around or something.

Nice to learn something , thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement