Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

13 Mondeo canbus issue

Options
  • 30-11-2021 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Hi I've tried 2 sets of leds in my mondeo mk4.5. Dip beam only h7. Both sets have returned a bulb gone error on the dash even with an inline resistor fitted. I'm wondering has anyone on here had similar issues and how they got around them. Thanks

Comments

Why people like to use LED on wrong place? If your car lights is not designed for LED, do not use LED. It is shame to see how many cars have insane bad lights thanks for that stupid modification. There is no any LED on market what ever can simulate the wolfram/tungsten filament exact location or properties. Millimeter here or there and your car lights output can be complete garbage and dangerous for other drivers. Seriously, please do not be another D on the road! Use only the right bulbs. If you serious like to upgrade, the HID is only good solution for your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Polo_Cluvie

If you want to rant rant however if you've nothing helpful to add move on. I'm well able to balance my headlights after any mods to ensure beam is correct. If my lights were good enough for travelling down country lanes on a winters night I wouldn't need them now would I? People that live in built up areas have no idea how bad it is to drive on country roads at night

You really think, you are better than others and the law? You never can not adjust something what is impossible to adjust. The filament location is very-very important and LED never can not mimic that. Like I said for your car only realistic option is HID. If you do not have money for that, buy cold light halogen, not warm white. Typically warm white output is garbage.

Your talking through your hat 'again'. Ever heard of beam setters no? For a supposed local car mechanic you know very little and spend a lot of time on boards. Maybe time better spent doing some actual research. I'm done engaging with you. Have a good evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭kirving

Does your car have reflector, or projector type headlights?

Reflectors. They actually work fantastic except for the canbus issue. I'm on my second supposed canbus friendly leds

In that case, Local Car Mechanic is entirely correct. Your reflector headlight is designed to focus light emitted by a filament positioned at it's focal point, and will not work as designed with an LED.

Full beams on both filament and LED will blind oncoming cars, but yours will be causing additional glare when on dipped beams. No amount of alignment can correct for this.

Your best option here is to upgrade your standard bulbs to a brighter version. Osram Night Breakers are often recommend.

Ok, I help you out. The "CANBUS safe" or "CANBUS friendly" is nothing else than simple resistor. Measure the amperage on halogen and LED. It must match. If it does not match, you need add, remove or replace the resistor to make it match. Sometimes factories (cheap LED bulbs comes typically from garage factories, no quality control) install the resistror by wrong way (series), it must be parallel (ballast, additional load). The purpose for resistor is to compensate the energy savings and generate heat (what a lovely way to waste energy). Exactly the same amperage (range) and ECU will be happy. No any CANBUS magic on your car.

I still suggest the different color temperature (cool white) or HID

You didn't take the time to read my initial post my man. I have leds installed in dip beams only because I'm aware leds in high beams will absolutely blind oncoming traffic. The glare you talk about only happens with cheap led bulbs in reflector and projector headlights. I'm in the trade and see jeeps vans etc fly through cvrts with leds installed this is a fact. I can't speak on the nct though. As per my initial post I have my beams adjusted 100% correctly this is also a fact. I've tried those bulbs you mentioned and they are just not good enough. The roads I travel call for leds take my word on that. If they didn't I wouldn't be bothered. Omg this post was about a canbus error nothing to do with the legalities moral or otherwise of leds!

• Advertisement

You would actually be better off to have the LED's in the full beam, because they will be off when your approach other traffic.

I pass cars all the time on unlit backroads which have LED's installed, and almost all of them have much more glare and are blinding to other road users.

Even the highest quality Philips and Osram LED conversions which are expensive (but probably the best option for other road users if you insist on using LED's) not strictly approved for use on the road.

If the current bulb is not replicating the resistance of an incandescent bulb properly, I doubt the rest of it's construction is up to scratch.

That's a good point actually 🤔. Still though where I am I really need good dips. If I was to do that I'd still have the canbus issue which brings us back to my initial post..

Advertisement