Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Alcohol from EU (online)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

This is what they have at the end, if you go throuigh with the checkout, just before the payment

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

took a punt and ordered (5 bottles of whisky), fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I'd love to order something from the Shlenkerla Brewery in Bamburg but they definitely have the beer art on their boxes so probably a bad idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭con747

Not sure about Yoyo but I got 2 slabs delivered yesterday. Not sure how long it will last though before a crackdown.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Sorry I updated another thread think on Bargain Alerts Forum I can't remember. All slabs arrived after 5 days no problem. 2 shots of some German liqueur thrown in as a freebie (Kleiner Klopfer). All in all everything went smoothly and without issues. Cans arrived in good condition and decent beer to boot.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

€131 including shipping for 96 cans (48 @ 5% and 48 @ 4.8%). So considerably cheaper than MUP Irish prices

• Advertisement

A month later... Anybody else chance this site?

Got 6 bottles of spirits delivered yesterday, but to be honest a lot of orders appear to be getting stopped by customs now so that's me sorted for the year and doubt i'll risk another order now. Over on the https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058138611/booze-deals-megathread-2#latest thread some got caught by customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 berbeer

If you really want well worth for money I suggest whopperdrink. I personally ordered 30 bottles wine and spirits, everything went as planned. Shipping is fast and I got tracking number. Others might want know this shop too so I post it here > whopperdrink.com

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

(this thread was bounced by a spambot but I felt it was worth replying to this post anyway)

This text is a typical "I am very clever and think I've found a loophole in the legislation that means I'm not actually selling alcohol" block of text. They're trying to claim that you are in fact buying the alcohol off someone else and they're just handling it; making it a personal limit thing

But it absolutely doesn't; and it won't fool any Revenue equivalent anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I’ve ordered from beerrepublic.de 5 or 6 times. My last order at the start of December got “seized” and I had to pay excise on it. The letter was worded quite strongly though and stated that they could destroy if they wanted and that they were giving me the option to pay this time. However, they were of the opinion that I had already broken the law and I was lucky they were being lenient.

I want to order again now from them, the beers I’ll be getting will be ones not available elsewhere in Ireland so I don’t mind paying the excise on them… but I just don’t know how to do it. If I place the order and then contact Revenue to make the payment myself would that be allowable?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

As with the impression you got, Revenue are not required to even offer you the chance to pay and I doubt you'll be accommodated if you ask in advance. You need a liquor licence to import like that normally.

I also suspect that if its seized again, they won't offer you the chance to pay and it'll just be destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Tea2

the communications I got suggested so thing similar - they are willing to accommodate private purchasers who want to import alcohol as long as they prepay the duty at their local revenue office. As with you, they didn’t tell me how to do this and at the time the revenue offices were all shut

i did, however, notice that in my ros.ie account, they recorded the duty I had paid to release the seized alcohol and appeared to have added the ability to compete an excise declaration to my PRSI number. Sadly the form was completely incomprehensible, so I’m in dark as to whether this is how they want me to pay going forward or how to fill in the form.

would love to get a clear answer as the duty is not really that expensive and I’d love to be able to confidently bring spirits in from overseas

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Glenbeigh

I allowed my neightbour use my name and address to order 4 boxes of whiskey and wine .all 4 boxes confiscated by tralee customs and excise .my neighbour has said they will pay relevant taxes BUT that option has yet even to be given to me .I am really worried about it

Not sure why anyone would let a neighbour use their name and address to import illegal alcohol tbh. They could have just ordered it under their own name and taken the chance like the rest of us here did when doing it. Most likely be ok and it will either be destroyed or tax and duty will need paying if they are willing to release it. Just be hopeful they don't decide someone was taking the piss trying that and take it further.

They asked me as a favour and I trusted them .has anyone ever be prosecuted over this ?

• Advertisement

Get in touch with customs and offer to pay any dues if that is what your neighbour wants or just let them destroy it. Most likely outcome is that's the end of it. Don't be over thinking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,108 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

4 boxes at once is taking the píss imho.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

I've just this week had alcohol from the EU confiscated. It's my second time, first time was a single bottle of bourbon coming from France in April 22.

That time I contacted them and played dumb, paid €45 excise on it and collected it in Dublin port a few weeks later.

This time I'm not going to contact them and just let them destroy it. (this time it's 3 bottles of whiskey).

But I'm absolutely not worried about it.

Edit: and I won't be chancing my arm again in the near future!

It appears to be very clear ,order cheaper whiskey or wine from mybooze at the moment with a good chance it will be conficated. Mybooze apparently wont refund just offer to resend the order or replace to the value of what you pay to customs and excise ( which could be conficated yet again !!).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Not sure why anyone would let a neighbour use their name and address to import illegal alcohol tbh.

They most likely have had a few imports stopped before so though they'd trick customs by having it delivered next door. Customs don't appear to be that stupid, the only Government department that's efficient is the one that takes money off us!

That's it in a nutshell

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

We have a good relationship with one of our delivery drivers, and he said that Revenue were regularly out to their main depot doing checks for alcohol. But the impression I get is that it's not so much a 'check', as they arrive out and there's an expectation that the packages with alcohol are already identified, to save everyone time.

Advertisement