Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying house near cemetery?

Options
2»

Comments

I have no idea why anyone would care about a cemetery nearby. Can't see how it impacts the house owners

You'd only have cause to be concerned if it was a Pet Sematary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

It is an odd one. I was always on the look out for a house on one of the little roads that back on to Deansgrange cemetery. They were, astoundingly enough, always slightly cheaper than the other houses in the area. Presumably they were priced that way because there's a sizeable chunk of the population who have an over active heebyjeeby gland. I could only see pros - a bargain of a house in a nice area, not overlooked and a nice place to go for a walk. Plus my granny was buried in there.

That being said, you'd probably have to take into account the slight haircut if you were thinking of selling in five years or whatever. But it doesn't mean you'd have to give a big discount, and that haircut was likely already applied when you bought it, so on a net basis there is no loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You do know that people living beside a cemetery cannot be buried there?

Because they are not dead yet.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Red Albey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Red Albey

Actually, the one I'm looking to buy is actually 7-8 houses behind the cemetery. The estate is not built on cemetery. It is just closer proximity to cemetery. The cemetery cannot be seen from my house anyways.

Hope that clarifies.

You’d get a good nights sleep and when it’s all over for you you’d only be moving a short distance to your final resting place.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Cemeteries are fascinating and heartrending places.

And as one grave epitaph says.. "Where I am there you will one day be."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

You can make a small fortune renting it out on Scarebnb around Halloween.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,973 ✭✭✭✭rob316

As my nan used to say "the dead can't hurt ya boy"

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Cemeteries are actually fascinating. Local history; family life. I used to..... haunt.... them when I was able to be out and clear neglected graves . They tell so many stories. I would love to live near one. Although at my very advanced age...lol..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

The other thing that would bother me is heavy funeral traffic so it would depend on how big or busy the cemetery is. Other than that it wouldn't bother me - it's going to be quiet and I'd know that it won't be developed on. Are people really squeamish about living near a cemetery??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Unless there is a funeral it should be reasonably quiet... you could hear someone coffin outside balgriffin it’s that quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ ISWYDT 😀

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement