Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New laptop needed

• 27-11-2021 5:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just your run of the mill "I need a new laptop" thread.

Currently have a Dell inspiron with Intel Core i3 2.1ghx with 4GBRam with Windows 7. Probably about 7-8 years old at this stage but it has been a beast. Still runs quite well but is slowing down.

Looking for an upgrade. I mainly use it for photoshop, streaming sport and a bit of gaming - Civ 5, Rome Total War, early Calls of Duty. I'm not looking for anything extra really. I don't want a laptop that can play the latest games, trying to avoid going that rabbit hole! Very tempted to go back to Dell given my previous good record with them but also wondering if the laptop market is different now. I assume there's been a fairly signifcant increase in brands and built quality in the last 8 years.

Any advice/tips would be great. i.e. What are the brands to avoid? What's the minimum I need to spend for decent quality or the minimum processor and ram etc. Any links to any recommendations would be even better. Doesn't necessarily have to be a blackfriday deal.

Comments

My son has a Asus ROG gaming laptop intel i7 with 16 gb of ram that he's asked me to sell for him as he's gone to collage and doesn't have any time for it.ive put it up on done deal but very surprised I've not had one offer as it very clean and fast .also have the reciept for it.shame as it's in the box sitting at the end of my bed.

all you really need is an 11th (current) gen i5 as the XE integrated graphics that came in on that generation will run those older games fine and is a big step up from the integrated graphics of old

for photoshop you should be looking at a screen that has at least a 99% sRGB colour-reproduction range

you just missed out on the matebook d 15 with the 11th gen intel cpu which was going for £500 and has excellent build quality (fully metal case, good keyboard and trackpad), portable

it has just gone "currently unavailable" on amazon uk.

was £750 before sale

you should define a max budget instead of saying "what's the min I should spend"

otherwise the lenovo (formerly ibm) ideapad 5 pro is amazing value at the deal price (says only a few left on stock)

it's very well reviewed as a laptop

bit heavier at 1.9kg but not too bad - still portable really

very powerful cpu, nvidia gpu card that will allow higher fps on gaming

great quality screen (bright and great colour accuracy)

metal build

at under €800 new it's a bargain at the temporary black friday deal price offered (says low stock)

it can be difficult to sell gaming laptops second-hand

technology moves on and you always get more powerful for less as time moves on

new features come in on more recent pieces of tech in the laptop that buyers may want (especially on graphics cards)

often sellers get emotionally attached to the price that they may have originally paid whereas it would be commonly only be worth less than half that value a year or 18 months later (or even less tbh)

it's a rapidly depreciating item, more so than normal non-gaming laptops even

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭Augme

I don't have a a strict budget but I don't want to pay for things I don't need. I assume higher performance = more money.

I was looking at the latest Apple and Surface pro and the reviews are all excellent etc but they both seem extremely unnecessary given what I'm looking for.

it's all about the best value for whatever the use case is really.

matebook d 15 not going to come back into stock before the deal is over I would say

ideapad 5 pro is great value for what it offers and gives you a bit more leeway for more recent games

• Advertisement
Advertisement