Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a downside to LCA???

Options
  • 26-11-2021 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

We have new management and they want to introduce LCA in our school, a small DEIS school. As a staff we are trying to find out what are the disadvantages of having LCA, if any exist? Some think it will be a magic bullet to solve a lot of non engagement at senior level. I don't think it will be. I'd appreciate any feedback from teachers who are teaching it regarding the negative side.. Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭amacca

I dont think it will be a magic bullet...but nothing will be a magic bullet. You still have to do things in LCA a lot of the non-engagers dont enjoy and causes them to switch off....like actual work, projects etc ...it depends on how its run and what students are taking it etc but even with the best of both of those it still wont be a magic bullet.

it can also mean you collect an awful lot of "non-engagers" in one class and can be a class teachers dread going into as it can just be non-stop taking anti-social behavior/ abuse baby sitting and crowd control some years....if its anything like it used to be when I did a bit of it......but perhaps with the right organisation etc....if the school is strong on discipline and doesnt have to engage in brushing things under the carpet when it comes to unacceptable behaviour (which is increasingly becoming the case imo) then perhaps my negative view would be unwarranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Some schools do LCA very well. And some do not. (I've taught in both)

Just do not let management turn the LCA into a dumping ground for troublesome or disruptive students, it quickly becomes a living hell for teacher and student

If run correctly, LCA is a very beneficial program for students who are just not suited for the conventional Leaving Cert.

TBH, though, the rules do tend to be a bit more relaxed for LCA students in terms of behaviour and language use. Just kinda gotta go with the flow and not pl them up on issues you'd normally would with a mainstream Higher level class.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

We’re on our second cycle. Main advantage is that it ‘cleans up’ 5th yr. While the numbers are low, you are bringing back students who may have previously secured apprenticeships, but the parents want them to do a Leaving Cert. Anybody with a substantial behaviour record should not be allowed into it, don’t let it turn into a dumping ground to suit management.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

As said above, make sure that the students are made aware of basic standards, and that it is a privilege for them to be allocated a place in LCA.

The first year you set it up will set the tone going forward.

It will be challenging but if done right the benefits will outweigh the negatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Choochtown

I would strongly suggest that the new LCA class are referred to and treated like standard 5th Year students.

So many schools make the mistake of referring to "5th Years AND LCA1" or "6th Years and LCA2". This in my experience leads to the LCA students being viewed as "separate" which develops on to "lesser"

It should go without comment that a 5th Year parents evening is for 5th Year Leaving Cert, LCVP and LCA students. i.e ALL 5th years.

The LCA students need to feel that they are as much part of the school and as valuable as a student who is hoping for 6 H1s.

Sounds like a small insignificant point but I have personally witnessed 2 schools where exclusionary language has been very damaging in terms of how the course is viewed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement