Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you use a 5G phone as a hotspot?

Options
  • 26-11-2021 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Have a mobile home in an area with 5G coverage.

Only use it for small periods during the year so don't want a yearly or biyearly internet plan.

If I get a 5G phone, is it possible to use it as hotspot to connect my laptop too for the few times I'm at the mobile home?

Three do pay-as-you-go 5G plans, so that's what I'm looking at but would vodafone or eir be any different?

I assumed I could but then I read this:

>It's also worth mentioning that Three's SIM-only service is only available for use with your handset and is not to be used in a modem for home broadband, with the exception of Three customers who have subscribed to a Three handset and Tablet bundle.

slightly different as it says you can't use it in a dedicated modem, but what about in a phone being used as a hotspot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I worked at 3 for many years and they have actually never permitted hotspot/tethering usage and its actually in their terms and conditions. Honestly, I rarely came across any customer actually penalised but this does not mean 3 won't.

I've not been with 3 since their 5g launch but it's still classified as a premium add on so I'd have to think they might be a little more proactive in monitoring people's usage of this service but I'm just guessing. I certainly wouldn't be buying a 5g phone for the sake of trying it out. 3's ,5g coverage in rural areas very, very hit and miss.

There's literally 1000's of people using prepaid phone sims in modems , 3 know it and to date have done nothing about it . My advice, get a sim free/ unlocked 4g modem (far more stable) , get a prepaid 3 / 4g sim with unlimited data and go from there.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement