Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Boards.ie update - 25th November 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,356 ✭✭✭✭ Conor74

It's the feedback forum.

I would expect criticism om a feedback forum. Clearly many are unhappy with the changeover and the modding, that is not just evident from the posts here but because the owner himself concedes there is a "massive drop in activity". Obviously, people should be civil and abuse is unacceptable, but criticism is valid, legitimate and this is precisely the place to air it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭ DaCor

Agreed. To be honest, I think if followed forums worked as before, and the mod tools issue was sorted, that would be the majority of issues sorted.

Regarding paying a sub, I'd have no problem doing this either, so long as its not a silly price. I think if they did something similar to Reddit and basically said we need X amount to keep the lights on and did a sub drive every quarter a la Wikipedia, they would get some traction.

Anyone know what it was for the old site?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭ DoctorEdgeWild

Yeah, totally agree that feedback, good and bad is what this forum is for.

But calling the guy a bollocks, calling for people to lose their jobs, demanding access to accounts, calling Niamh names, calling them incompetent, saying they have killed Boards etc, etc. is not what the forum is for.

Not implying you've done these things btw, I don't pay much attention to user's names, but I assume you've read the same as I have.

I paid for a year's subscription once, was E50 iirc. I had gotten a brilliant bargain in one of the forums and felt like paying things back as a balance of sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭ mossie

Absolutely people are entitled to express their views on the change over / state of the site but are not entitled to resort to personal attacks on Niamh, Odhran or anybody else.

Someone said that maybe they should just have run with the look that Vanilla is meant for - I think that would have been the end of the site as Vanilla is pretty poor on any forum I've seen. The big drop in traffic on the site reflected the users unhappiness with / difficulty navigating the new site and I don't think a lot of those would have come back if they had simply left it as it was.

• Advertisement

One of people's biggest gripes was with how it looked, so I can see why they chose to 'clone' the look of the site. But I'd agree with you, couldn't give a damn about how it looks, just how it functions. Unfortunately, as is the way of people, they will complain over absolutely anything. A while ago I saw a post that complained about auto bookmarking, followed two posts later complaining about NOT auto bookmarking. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,766 ✭✭✭ Caranica

On that specific example. On the old site you could turn off auto bookmarking, on here you can't. And yes it's a major annoyance and is affecting my post count

But you see that my point is that for most changes, there are those for, and against? Putting the people running the site in a difficult position. While trying to manage a really bad transition, loss of a team member/friend, loss of revenue, lots of hours etc. All to try and keep the site going.... While users tell them they're sh1t and should be sacked. I'm sure you can see what I'm saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭ Leg End Reject

The autobooking should be optional, it doesn't have to be either/or.

People want and like different features and Feedback is where they are supposed to post about it.

Absolutely, loads of quality feedback knocking around, suggestions, even some guy doing a suite of improvements for free for users.

Super easy to communicate politely like you and I are doing without calling for people to be sacked, name calling, demands for financial info and being an absolute d1ck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭ Pelvis Parsley

It appears from later responses that our CEO has invested in Boards himself. I had suspected that he had taken a share in this place as some form of remuneration or compensation package, so to have that tentatively confirmed is one thing.

If the hand is going to reach out and ask the userbase for some form of revenue or other, we then have a right to know who benefits. It's about transparency.

You might be happy to live the life of a mushroom, figuratively speaking, but others aren't.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Gloomtastic!

I want to know how Beasty has so much money and is still able to spend so much time here ? 😋

There are still some brilliant posters here and the other place has not gained any new subscribers. People waste so much time on the internet, I absolutely love it.

With the Follow thread option now on the desktop, and on the mobile very soon, I hope. We can now start again.

There are lots of people here who get a real kick out of helping people. Myself included. Sharing the passion.

My passions are food and business.

No. 1 Rule: If you don’t ask, you don’t get.

The other No. 1 Rule: Do it, review it, change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭ Flinty997

Well you get that everywhere on the web. Any abuse should just be a ban from that forum.

Although the thread was started by Odhran which could have seen a bad reaction, his update was so good that most of the criticism seems genuine and constructive.

The only clunky moments here came from mods, one who doesn't follow the rules about personal comments and trolling, and another who had a bizarre urge to hint at his relative wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭ droidman123

Have no fear,he will be back to say it was a tongue in cheek comment or something like that

You just know this thread would have been closed down by Mods...except they can't really close a thread opened by the owner when he's getting a decent response!

Odhran would do well to note that the 2 bad efforts here have come from Mods, look at the other feedback threads they shut down, and think maybe there is no smoke without fire and what can be done to address the biggest problem on this forum.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 43,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭ muffler

I feel the need to point out that in this thread and forum I am an ordinary user/member. Like everyone else here I an entitled to an opinion and I am entitled to post that opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭ shanec1928

"Comment: As the issues are being worked through, as Odhran has done a welcome u turn on PR and decided to "come clean" (and immediately prompted a warmer reaction) what you say about mods is spot on. It's the single biggest issue here.

• I appreciate there has been a long delay between this update and my last but there is no change in PR. I hope that you can see our transparency since the start both in terms of what we were doing, the issues we encountered and our ongoing plan to keep working through them."

im not sure if you are joking here or not but up until the last few posts by you there has been very little transparency. Also still waiting on that update that you said you provide on the data been moved out of europe without users consent and then the big reluctance to be forthcoming with that info, remember that one that boards tried to brush under the rug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭ DaCor

🤣

No Muffler, you're totally wrong. "I can say what I like if it's my opinion" is not and was never a defence here, or indeed on the forum you mod and where the charter specifically states...

Don't attack the poster, attack the post

You should know this stuff, because you drew up the charter for that forum...

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055131273/charter#latest

And at this stage the other mods must have their heads in their hands thinking "dear God, please make him stop digging".

So Im wrong, I'm not entitled to an opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭ Glaceon

I don't think that everything is due to Vanilla but possibly how it is configured. For example, Digital Spy are using Vanilla and their implementation of it allows selective quoting in an almost identical way to vBulletin.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭ teachinggal123

Not an opinion that breaks the forum charters. Or an opinion where you are acting like a "dick". No freedom of speech on boards.

So yes, you are wrong.

Thats fantastic. The 2 most vocal people here in this thread now have themselves convinced that once you are a mod you are not allowed an opinion.

Goes to show what mods have to deal with....oh wait, Im after expressing an opinion.

So to be clear - are you saying you can express any opinion you wish on Boards? Even if this breaks forum rules or is a personal insult or is an opinion on one of (the many) legal cases the site has been involved with over the years?

🤣

This is hilarious. Muffler is providing the perfect example of how awful modding is, a mod who actually doesn't believe or understand that "it's my opinion" is not a defence.

If expressing an opinion breaks a charter or the terms of use eg. it's racist or homophobic or abusive or trolling or contains an opinion about an ongoing court case or..the list goes on and on...then you may be entitled to have it, but not to post it here.

in case you missed the obvious I'm talking about posting an opinion here in this very thread about the topic at hand and other posts.

I'm at a complete loss as to why me being a mod of another forum has got anything to do with the price of tea in China.

• Advertisement

But you are NOT entitled to post any opinion in this thread!!! Not sure why you don't get that tbh.

What if I posted my opinion that "Muffler is full of shh1t, and is an idiot" in this thread. Would it be ok?

/Edit/ just to clarify that is not my opinion ...

Advertisement