Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greater Spotted Woodpecker

Options
  • 24-11-2021 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭

Hi, anyone know where in Galway or Mayo the Greater Spotted Woodpecker has been recorded?

I've asked the Biodiversity Centre for a more accurate location since their public mapping only displays 10km grids.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Best Answer

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

great, just what I was looking for, wasn't aware of that website, very good. defo going to visit Ballygar in spring.

and it seems there may be some up in Cong, great news. must train the ole ears to their drum roll!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Good luck! You may want to get familiar with their call too, and their distinctive and "bouncy" flying pattern, it will help to spot them.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedRag

Just spotted a woodpecker while walking my dog this morning. I've been hearing it for years drumming at trees but could never figure out where it was exactly. He was right above me this morning, got a good 20 seconds of watching before he flew away. Didn't manage to get a pic. He was black, white and red. Love the drumming sound, was delighted to see him. West Wicklow area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,637 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

They have been reported from Glenisland Mayo recently I heard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭lucalux

I think Portumna has a few, I definitely heard them there and I'm pretty sure there were some other records of them in Portumna forest park recorded somewhere I've seen in the past. Not heard them in Ballygar yet but I've always got my ear out for them as I walk the dog there a good bit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

Saw one and heard in co cork years ago

Gougane Barra from memory and one other location

nothing recently

would love to hear from anyone in Munster of local sighting’s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

One of my colleagues from the area showed me a good photo the other day that was forwarded to him on his phone of two Greater Spotted Woodpeckers in the woods around Ballygar.

It seems they have been spotted there quite regularly in recent times.

have been up to Cong-Clonbur woods last two weekends (beautiful weather and amazingly met nobody both times, was wandering around for 2hrs each time, bliss!) and didn't hear any. what time of day do they actively drum? morning, evening?

will head to Portumna Forest next if no joy up in Cong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Two of them now regularly visit my garden bird table. Absolutely thrilled to see them. (North East).

wow, that's brilliant. maybe I'll put the peanut feeders back out in the hope of a visit... as well as completely spoiling the gang of goldfinches!

• Advertisement

just been for leisurely walk around Aghrane\Castle Kelly up in Ballygar but no sound of them.. going to give Portumna a go next weekend..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Woodpecker in an ESB pole in a garden in Wexford.

Mod: Apologies, I haven't been around much so I'm only acting on this now - I'm afraid no pictures of nests are allowed in this forum.

Post edited by New Home on

https://www.british-birdsongs.uk/great-spotted-woodpecker

their call sounds like a squeaky toy for a dog! tried Portumna today but no luck.. but the summer is long and the will is hopeful!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I hope the poster hold an NPWS license to film breeding birds at the nesting site....

Post edited by New Home on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I hope ESB don't see the picture and realise they have a pole that desperately needs replacing.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

The woodpeckers were chased out of the ESB pole by blackbirds just after the video was taken.

Advertisement