Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Defrosting Car Windows

Options
  • 22-11-2021 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hi, what is the best approach to defrost the car windows with the frosty weather on its way.

Is luke warm water a no no?

Some form of shop bought de-icer? Or a home made version?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

luke warm water is fine. wont do any harm. its boiling hot water that will crack the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You have to careful if the water refreezes on the ground in case someone slips on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,906 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Lukewarm water, with the wipers on straight away so it doesn't just freeze again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭beachhead

Lukewarm water followed by de-icer if it doesn't clear or freezes as you drive away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Luke warm water won't crack your window, but if the temperature is below zero, it could pool on the ground and cause a slip hazard when it freezes. Not a big deal if it's your own driveway, but I almost broke my neck on some black ice because somebody defrosted their windows when they were parked on a kerb one year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭jmreire

Just be carefull when turning on the wipers that they are not stuck to the glass....I always use a de-icer, followed by a scraper to remove the ice first.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Ljmscooter

sit in the car for 5 minutes with the blower on and catch up on boards.ie - then leave for work.

if in a hurry, old CD case you find under the seat next to a rotting jam sambo will act as a good scraper to get the heavy ice off.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In all my years I've never heard of hot water cracking a windscreen, but I have heard it continually repeated that it shouldn't be done. I wonder is this an archaic piece of advice from when windscreens weren't tempered, or does it only happen if there's already a crack/chip in the windscreen?

Obviously boiling water straight from the kettle is playing with fire, but surely hot water from the tap (~50 degrees) would is OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm pretty sure the glass cracking/hot water thing is thermal shock causing pre-existing damage to worsen, like a tiny chip/crack suddenly spreading fast. I don't really see much damage these days on windscreens to begin with, I'd assume that's because of advancements in glass/car/roads over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭phog

Cold water, pour over the windscreen and then at the wipers, once wipers are defrosted lift them out of position and place them back into position. Ideally wait for all ice to be removed before switching on wipers so the rubber isn't damaged.

As already mentioned, try not let the water flow onto a pavement so that it would be a trip hazard to pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

Just buy electric car and it preheats for you. No frozen windows and lovely warm car to jump into

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

I cracked my windscreen pouring a jug of cold tap water on my windscreen. Probably bad luck, but since then, I use a ice scraper and de-icer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I just used my work ID to scrape the frost off, worked great, and they'll replace it for free when it mysteriously stops working to open the doors every few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Ryertex

I’m my experience, using lukewarm water and immediately turning on the wipers works fine for the windscreen but not so good for the side windows as it freezes again. Also creates a bit of a skating rink on the ground. Idling the engine is bad for your pocket, your engine and the environment. Now I have a small electric heater with a long lead which I can plug into an external socket outside the kitchen window. Turn it on while I’m having breakfast and within 10 minutes all windows are clear + the inside of the car is nice and warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 TheCrank

Just cover the windscreen at night. €6 for a Halfords cover or use a big lump of cardboard or a bit of old carpet, anything that will sit on the screen really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Warm water in a ziplock/sandwich bag. Just start at the top, put the bag on the window and slowly drag it down the window.

At least you won't have the problem of it pooling and freezing on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Sandwich bag of hot water,rub on glass,works

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Slightly off topic but I always try to remember to turn off my automatic wipers in freezing weather. It can't be good for the motor or the wiper blades if they are frozen to the screen.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

Someone told me before to not sue the spray stuff on the window, it ends up puttin a coat of whatever is in it and makes the windows really dirty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Maggie Benson

The stink off those spray de-icers is really awful or maybe I just chose badly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Buffman

+1 on this, I used to use an old duvet and it works fine. My current car has preheat and defrosts itself at the set time.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You need to be able to see out the side windows also. Also not practical if you've light fingered neighbours, I'd hub caps robbed from a 10 year old car after I forgot to cable tie them back on after the NCT. If your at home a bit of warm water will clear all your windows in seconds, if your out a windscreen cover and ice scrapper for the side windows.

Can't remember where I saw it but IIRC if you use alcohol deicer then you're supposed to rinse the window with water to protect your seals, so just skip the booze and go straight to the water. Why are people using CD cases or work badges when ice scrappers are only a few Euro and regularly on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

• Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Feck's sake. Even if it worked like, really really well, it would be handier and quicker to just sit in the car waiting for it to heat up. Where do people get these daft ideas...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's a car you're defrosting it's not like they are lacking in storage options. How hard is it to throw an ice scrapper in the boot, door card, glove box?

I've got a Winter bag I throw in the boot around this time of year. It's got ice scrappers, deicer spray, cable tie snow grips, a few sacks and some ropes. But then again feck all people have sunglasses in their cars and are driving blind around dusk/dawn this time of year

I just leave the car running for 5 minutes. It's going the same distance and needs to heat up anyway so really it's 2 minutes extra running each time. Let's high-ball and call it 50 times a year so about100 minutes of extra running per year. That's fine by me and I think my pocket can handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Idling the engine for 5 to 10 mins is literally a negligible use of fuel.

Its also to be recommended, because if your blower isn't up to temp before you set off, your screen can instantly refreeze with a thin layer of ice or condensation and thats not great.

Another key point for winter is don't run the blower if theres any snow on the air intakes, it can burn out your fan motor, just clear them first

Best thing I ever put in the boot for the winter is a cheap dust pan and brush. It works as a shovel and a scraper and the brush is great for clearing air intakes and for any heavy snow accumulation on the roof, windows, headlights and grilles.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

^^^

Sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Park it in the garage, the issue then doesn't arise :D

Advertisement