Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on a course?

Options
  • 22-11-2021 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Himself mentioned that he is interested in a course in the Sligo/Mayo area (we're in Donegal) where he gets a pilots license (I think thats what its called) so that if we head on holidays to Spain/France that he's covered to hire a boat for the day on the coast.

We have a boat, it's just he always wanted to hire one when we're away and I know they look for some sort of paperwork to show you've completed a course.

So anyway I want to get him a voucher for the place he's interested in for Christmas but obviously can't do too much digging as he'll know what Im at, have any of ye any idea of where would be good and would cover abroad as well, if there is such a thing.

Thanks all in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Powerboat level 2 will cover boat hire abroad AFAIK.

Can be done in Galway or Athlone

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

You'll need an ICC cert to rent boats abroad in the EU, though I believe it's also recognised outside the EU too.

The International Certificate for Operators of Pleasure Craft (ICC) was established under resolution No. 40 of the Working Party on Inland Water Transport for the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe. The aim of the ICC is to provide boat owners and people wishing to charter boats with an internationally recognised document certifying their competence to skipper a boat for recreational use. In Ireland the Irish Sailing Association are the issuing authority for ICCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

Would you know of anywhere on the west coast that would cover this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,863 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Irish Sailing website is a bit of a nightmare to navigate (hah!), but there's a page here where you can search by qualification and/or county.

There seems to be one place in Killybegs who will do ICC training (I know nothing about it, so not endorsing it, or knocking it for that matter!)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'm afraid I wouldn't know, but Irish Sailing might have a list of resources;

https://www.sailing.ie/Training/Find-Training-Centre

• Advertisement

I've seen this one, he mentioned it cost about €300 so I might just have it open on the phone and pretend the phone was listening to me 😉and the algorithms sent me to this page, he might just fall for it and this might be the course he's on about 🤞

https://wildwestsailing.com/powerboat/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭ratracer

Is it a power boat or a sail boat that he wants to be able to hire? If it’s the latter, that power boat course is not what your after and AFAIK, you would need a yacht master ( skippers) ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,863 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

ICC covers either power or sail, you just need to do the right course/test.

Yachtmaster is also issued for either power or sail, at different levels - but for international chartering purposes, ICC seems to be the desired qualification that's looked for these days - despite yachtmaster being the more comprehensive exams (except for day skipper).

I got the impression (maybe incorrectly) that OP was referring to powerboats.

OP, you need to check that whatever course you're thinking of will actually lead to the award of an ICC (International Certificate of Competence) as that's what you're looking for if you're wanting to charter abroad.

Its a power boat, same as what we have here, wouldn't have a clue about sail boat and one boat addiction is enough 😂

Yeah. its a power boat we have and that's what he'd want to hire as well, I think the course I was looking at has ICC awards as well so Im hoping thats the one he was looking at

• Advertisement
Advertisement