Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a motorcycle stored in my garage for the last 5 years, not registered in Ireland

Options
  • 21-11-2021 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I've owned it since 2007 was on a UK plate then moved to Spain and put it on Spanish plates, moved to Ireland 2016 and since been in my garage and never used, can I still put it on Irish plates, anybody know if this is possible and what fines would l get, bike is 29 years old, any advice please. Thanks

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There will be a fine for not registering it which is a percentage of the VRT due. If you wait till its 30 years old you get a 100% discount on the VRT due

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nige01

Don't know if I've got this right, shouldn't be any VRT as owned since 2007 is this right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

they will ask for you to explain why it wasn't registered as soon as it got to the country all those years ago.

can just simply say you bought it back last week though, but they'll want proof of either a ferry booking or transportation services receipt.

I'd definiitely not recommend booking a ferry for next week, printing the receipt and then cancelling the booking and doing a VRT afterwards, that would be technically frauding the system but I doubt they'd check or care

Don't want to do that, might be easier to put it a van and take a ferry to holyhead and bring it back in and register it them, would there be any problems with this

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

Why not ring em and ask. As the bike was in your ownership abroad for a long time should be no vrt due. They might let you just get it inspected and do the paperwork.

• Advertisement

The penalty for not registering is a percentage of the VRT. The bike is currently 29 years old, I can't see a ferry being cheaper than the VRT and penalties or wait till it's 30 years and zero VRT is due.

Put the bike details into the VRT calculator and see what it'll be, then you've 5 years(1825 days) penalties to pay. If my sums are correct it'll be about double the VRT due as a penalty.

"Additional VRT

Additional VRT is charged when a vehicle is not registered within 30 days.

The additional VRT is added to the total VRT due. The additional charge is calculated by multiplying the total VRT due by 0.1%. An additional 0.1% is added on for every day the vehicle is not registered, from the date of its first entry."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭gipi

Don't bring it to UK and back, it might be treated as a UK import, and be subject to VAT and customs duty as well as VRT.

Probably cheaper to pay the VRT penalties, as mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

There might be some leeway if, when you imported the bike it was not roadworthy, and you have just completed the repairs required to make it roadworthy.

Edit: They might ask for photos, receipts for parts, invoices etc.

You could probably get some good advice on the above by asking in the Classic Cars forum.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Don't overthink it, there is no need to re register the bike, a ferry ticket for a van from the UK should suffice as the van may have come across the UK from Espana.

The bike can be imported as a Spanish bike and should not incur any additional penalties if it was never here before, the fact that it is not registered on the road in Spain is of no concern here.

VRT is the same for a shell as a functioning vehicle otherwise everyone would be bringing in shells.

Did a quick VRT check for a 1000cc 29 year old bike and it'll be €135, so with penalties it'd be ~€405. Getting a ferry with a van next week is going to cost over €400, before adding diesel/food/time, and they'll still have to pay €135 to register it. Pay the VRT with penalties now or wait till it's 30 then pay zero VRT/penalties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Also have to pay six yrs road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...if you claim it's from Spain, you'll need spanish reg documents....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Yea which if he registered it in Spain will be in his name, so trying to say he brought it in from the UK would be a non runner.

What does OP mean, have all Spanish paperwork. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

All Spanish paperwork is good. So how do you prove entry into the state? That’s what VRT will want from you so a ferry ticket is the easiest way to prove that.

Advertisement