Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got hit by other car and not sure about damage estimate ..

Options
  • 20-11-2021 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi all,

If Any of You have some simple advice or addition to below, please do.

Other driver crashed into back of my xar two nights ago, when I was heading to work. Shock and what a bang! I thought that half of my car is in bits.

The pain in my arm and shoulder I noticed straight after crash is still here.

The damage to the car and what I can see from outside: whole back panel with many deel cracks, lamp is cracked, my boot changed his shape at the bottom. Rear camera fell. Car can move.

Garda came after 90 minutes. Ambulance was too busy to come, but they ask me to check my arm with any medical tge bext days if it's still sore. It is. I'm awaiting GP phone call and refferal for MRI.

Other driver admitted his fault in front of Garda.

Next day.

- I contacted my Insurance and they ask me to call other driver insurance company so I placed Third Party Claim.

2 hours later liability insurance from them was given as a green light meaning for me.

They really really wanted to push me into their garage, and I ask to present other options I might have.

I know now that I can pick my own place and they have sent me email what to do:

1. Please inform your garage to provide a detailed repair estimate and photographs of the damage caused to your vehicle along with images of the vehicle (front\back\sides).
    2. Once liability has been agreed, your estimate will be processed within 2 business days and we will then contact you in order to authorise the repairs. In the event that your vehicle is not repairable i.e. written off, your dedicated Claims Handler will call you directly to discuss settlement options.
    3. When your repairs are complete, your garage will contact you to arrange a suitable time to collect your vehicle.

N o w. What to do? First time in such situation..

My car is not popular in Ireland, not super expensive but still it was great car before incident. I want to have it fix in most proffesional and safe way.

Should I go to dealer?

Should I ask you where to go? Any recommendations? I'm curently near Mullingar/ Tullamore.

Or

Should I just go with insurer garage?

Apologies for basic language, but this is my way to communicate and to understand.

I'm not a huge believer that the other driver insurer really want to help me. They will once they like repsir estimated quote.

Thanking you in advance for good advice.

Sabi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭db

Go with the insurers garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭sabinalee

• Registered Users Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Should I go to dealer?

You won't be paying for the repair so this is an academic point but based on your description of the damage, it will be well beyond the capabilities of a 'dealer'. So any such garage that you go to will simply farm out the repair to a local body shop. And add on a sizeable markup for his efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭beachhead

Wherever you take your car it must be with approval of the other's driver insurance company otherwise they will not pay for repair.If,a dealer has a repair shop attached to their business that would be ideal for you.Or,You could ask the dealer to recommend a repairer that they use for their customers.The place where you take your car will photo the damage and send an estimate and the photos to the insurance company.You must wait for approval of the estimate before a repair can start.The repair shop can provide you with details of the parts and work needed to fix your car.

Thank you all. Really.

This week I can try go to a dealer and go to recommended garage same day.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for if the car is worth 9000e.

Will find out this week.

If someone damaged my car, how come I should worry that maybe it won't be fixed to excellent state?

Would I have option to get cash from insurer and buy all parts by myself and fix it by my local place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Would I have option to get cash from insurer and buy all parts by myself and fix it by my local place?

yes, but I believe that what they pay you will be net of the VAT that you would have to pay for the parts.

And now I wonder..

- who will pay for MRI and GPS ect?

- will this cras flag in any report? Just in case of selling

Post edited by sabinalee on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭beachhead

Who determined that your car is worth e9,000? You can put any price you like on your car but an insurance company will decide the market price of your car.Then it is up to you to prove otherwise.You would have to provide proof of the value by producing advertising of sales or if a rare car by getting a statement from a collectors club.The repairer together with the insurance company is obliged by law to ensure that a car is repaired to a roadworthy condition and is not a danger to life or other road users.If,you want a cash payment you will have to negotiate with the insurance company and that will not be easy or quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Yes the car will be recorded damaged if an insurance claim is made.

Regarding medical expenses your solicitor will inform you of the process . How do you know you will need an MRI just a day after an injury?

Maybe accident was minor. Maybe my arm and back aren't broken, but like I said, I noticed pain straight after crash. Today is more severe.

How would my GP know what is going on inside if MRI isnt done?

How could I start rehabilitation without knowing what to improve on and go back to work? Like my car I have to go back to state before accident.

I will leave work on my recovery to my GP, not here.

I have no solicitor. I thought I can deal with insurer.

• Advertisement

Much better to go with the insurer approved repairer. They have approved their competency to carry out such a repair. When this happened me many years ago I went along with this, the repair was done in good time, there was least hassle and stress for me and I was given the loan of a car to drive whilst mine was being repaired. The Insurance company would only approve a repair they know to be competent as they have to stand over that repair.

I only got this car last year. I paid more than 9k. Prices for this model and year are close to what I said, here in Ireland. Not many of them on the market anyway.

If repairer and insurer are obliged to fix my car to safe use and before accident condition, well then, It can go to their recommend garage.

I have to focus on my body now.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not an expert, that is why I'm here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Don't forget to push them for a hire car while yours is being repaired.

Advertisement