Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Is the Lotto too hard to win ?

• 19-11-2021 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭ spuddy4711

A TD who sits on both the Oireachtas Finance and Public Expenditure committees has called for the draw to be more winnable

Is there something fishy going on ? Why was the person from KPMG who used to watch what was going on dropped ?

Its been months since the big one was won, should there be an inquiry ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,418 ✭✭✭ Wheety

Jackpot last won at the start of June, been at €19m since September. I can see people turning away from it if it's only won a coupe of times a year. At least the Euromillions gives away the money to the next tier with winners after a certain time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,511 ✭✭✭✭ dxhound2005

The Irish public are very generous to these foreigners. In 2019 people who won €19 million, decided that the money would be better off going to the Toronto teachers. And since that company took over in 2014 they have gained about €90 million from people not bothering to cash in their winnings.

https://www.thejournal.ie/lotto-ireland-unclaimed-prizes-2019-5119648-Jun2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ silliussoddius

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 43,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭ magicbastarder

he's not just called for it to be more winnable, he wants an investigation, goddammit!

Why has nobody ever called for an investigation into the Daily Millions? It was last won on 05 November, but with two draws seven days a week, that is probably more draws with no winners than the main Lotto. I wouldn't be surprised if there are far worse runs than that.

Of course the explanation is simple, not enough tickets bought to have winners more often. But a conspiracy theorist like that TD would have a field day with the stats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭ Montage of Feck

I've yet to win, so yes. But then again I haven't bought a ticket since it was privatized. Haven't won a bob on the prize bonds as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,767 ✭✭✭✭ Atlantic Dawn

It's like something out of Father Ted, hopefully global media outlets get hold of the story for a great laugh, lol.

If nobody plays then how on Earth is anyone going to win...?

That suggestion is up there with the one to only change clocks once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭ Markus Antonius

Why he wasn't dropped when two of the same numbers were drawn from the drum is beyond me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ Bass Reeves

Problem is too many combinations. This means that it's too hard to win. 10 million plus combinations means on average even if a large percentage of adults played you would still have it won once every 4-5 draws on average

What happens is a large amount of people decide it's not worth playing until the jackpot is 3-4 million, this means less plays. This feeds players to then push this number out to 5, then 6, then 10 then 15 million etc.

When you lose the habit of playing you stop playing. I do not even look to see what the jackpot is worth any longer. I never see people filling out a slip any longer. It's too expensive as well with Is it six euro now for two line with lotto plus.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,294 ✭✭✭ Quantum Erasure

I'm sure you could buy enough lines to pretty much guarantee a win and still be in profit, I know every combination is as likely as any other combination, but the chances of 6 consecutive numbers is basically zero, or 6 consecutive odd numbers, or consecutive multiples of three, or any repeating gaps, etc, etc, and then you eliminate combinations with 5 consecutive numbers, etc, ...

the odds of winning are 1 in 10,737,573. jackpot is €19,060,800 which would buy 9,530,400 tickets, you only have to eliminate 1,207,173 improbable combinations, or like 1 in 9 of all possible combinations....

maybe it's not so easy after all...

If there were fewer numbers, it would encourage millionaires to "buy" the Lotto.

With 47 numbers, that can't happen, but 47 is not going to make the Lotto "unwinnable" by random luck either. Every draw stands on its own, with no influence from what happened in previous draws. The same odds apply in the next draw whether it was won every week for 10 weeks, or not won any week for 50 weeks. The only variable is the number of tickets bought.

The UK is 6 numbers out of 59, and that seems to be around the sweet spot for the number of tickets in their draws. Plenty of rollovers, but plenty of jackpot winners every year. And that is what has been the case in Ireland for years as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭ RocketRaccoon

Someone will win it tonight, its a guarantee after this being made so public.

You are right. Nobody knew about it until now, and millions of extra tickets will be bought chasing the big money.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 43,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭ magicbastarder

you could guarantee a win if you bought approx 11 million lines, at a cost of 22 million; in that sense it starts to make financial sense in a way to play the lotto if the jackpot is above €22m; but this has to be set against the chance of sharing the jackpot with another winner.

i was at school with a chap whose parents were one of the first winners of a lotto jackpot (vague memory that it was somewhere around IRL£600k); it ended their marriage, which i think had been in trouble anyway. i guess tossing a win like that into a troubled marriage is like throwing a hand grenade into a crowded room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ Bass Reeves

The lotto with the odds of winning now battles against a few other things. Firstly because it is constantly rolled over a lot of people have no interest in winning 5 million plus as it is too life changing. As well when people win massive jackpots they are more liable to not allow the win to be publicised. Even a consortium of 3-6 people winning a jackpot of 6 million are more liable to keep private the win for as long as they can

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement